List 30 and Interesting Facts

Elvish

In honor of reaching Music of Choice List 30:

U2 and R.E.M have appeared most of our lists. They're tied at three times each for the following albums:

U2

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

The Joshua Tree

Rattle & Hum

R.E.M

Domument

In Time: The Best of R.E.M. 1988-2003

Monster

Rachel (invisible r) holds the record for most nominations appearing on list with a total of 15. She also has the most renominations, with 6 appearing on a list. I don't keep up with total nominations, but if I did I would bet she'd get the prize for that as well ;)

Congrats, Rach! And thanks to her (and everyone) for introducing us to some awesome new music and for reintroducing some old favorites.

Now nominate away!

Edited by Guest
unstick

and here's another renomination to add to my list

editors "the back room"

one of last year's great newcomers, nominated for a mercury prize, editors are one of my favourite new bands. quite dark and gloomy , reminiscent of joy division but a lot more melodic.

"munich" ("people are fragile things, be careful what you put them through"), "sparks" ("all sparks will burn out in the end") "blood" ("blood runs through our veins, that's where our similarity end") are some of the best tracks in the album, as well as some of the best tracks of this year!

All in all, a great album, highly reccommended for everyone who enjoys the dark and gloomy.

I'm going to try this one again... maybe a few of you have had the opportunity to hear Roger since I last nominated this one. Of the dozen or so people I have turned on to Roger's music in the past 2 years or so, not a single one of them doesn't like it. Not one.

Take a listen to whatever he's got currently on his myspace page: myspace Roger Clyne

This CD came out a few years ago, but has staying power akin to Bruce Springsteen's Born To Run compilation.

Roger's lyrics are all intelligently written with a solid smattering of humor throughout.

Track List sample:

Beautiful Disaster - Described by Clyne as "just a fun high energy rock and roll romp" with, indeed, an homage to "Born To Run" - see the SongFacts about this one...

Easy - Clyne loves to juxtapose his lyrics... and does it to perfection with this tribute to breaking down love barriers...

Honky Tonk Union - A good-time country-rock stomp with Roger's sense of humor shining bright.

Jack vs. Jose - Written from a personal experience Roger had in a Tennessee bar - see SF about this tune...

Green & Dumb - a gorgeous ballad that warrants play at full-throttle on the stereo, heartbreaking, and the type of song any girl would love to have written about her...

Never Thought - A personal favorite of mine... another good rollicking time with a message that depends on the listener...

Tow Chain - '50s-style, with humor thrown in for good measure, as so many of Roger's song are.

Here are a few clips from reviews of the Peacemakers CDs...

Asbury Park Press

"Clyne is equal parts storyteller, songwriter and singer talents that have earned him a reputation as the Bruce Springsteen of the Southwest."

Salt Lake Weekly

"With both The Refreshments and The Peacemakers, Clyne’s songs have been mostly straight-ahead, rootsy rock tunes with sly, smart lyrics, covering subjects like crimes gone bad, trailer-park denizens and the relative merits of whiskey vs. tequila."

Deseret News

" ...through constant touring, incredible live performances, strong songwriting and through word-of-mouth ­ mostly from the band's hardcore cult following ­ the Peacemakers are starting to create a buzz in the mainstream-music world."

Salt Lake Tribune

"It's time to get to know him with his latest band, The Peacemakers, who help Clyne continue a career creating solid rock 'n' roll that goes down smooth."

Norwich (CT) Bulletin

"No matter if the song is political or personal, the Peacemakers have a way of making music that grabs the listener and just won't let go. This is music that transcends genres, popular culture and time periods. It wouldn't sound out of place in any of the last four decades."

Sports Illustrated

"If you're sick of rage rock, tired of the melody-devoid primal screaming of bands such as Slipknot, Staind, Tool and Papa Roach (we can't all be Rage Against the Machine), let me suggest Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers. [Peacemakers music] should be played at earsplitting volume in pool halls, bowling alleys and backyard bashes and on college radio stations. It should blare from the CD players of fast cars roaring down empty highways under the stars and just before dawn. Indeed, it should be savored and celebrated by those swaggering street denizens known as the rock & roll faithful as proof that the good stuff never disappears.'

But don't listen to me. Or them. Listen to Roger. Go ahead, raise your goblet of rock."

bjorkdebutgk4.jpg

Björk ~ Debut

Track listing

1. "Human Behaviour" (Björk/Hooper) – 4:12

2. "Crying" (Björk/Hooper) – 4:49

3. "Venus as a Boy" (Björk) – 4:41

4. "There's More to Life Than This" (Björk/Hooper) – 3:21

5. "Like Someone in Love" (Burke/VanHeusen) – 4:33

6. "Big Time Sensuality" (Björk/Hooper) – 3:56

7. "One Day" (Björk) – 5:24

8. "Aeroplane" (Björk) – 3:54

9. "Come to Me" (Björk) – 4:55

10. "Violently Happy" (Björk/Hooper) – 4:58

11. "The Anchor Song" (Björk) – 3:32

12. "Play Dead" (Björk/Arnold/Wobble) – 3:58 (UK/Portugal/Japan only)

13. "Atlantic" (Björk) – 2:04 (Japan only)

Björk's first solo-album after the Sugarcubes disbanded, and although I like most of her albums, this one's one of my favourites.

The album is a great mix of dance beat-driven pop ("Violently Happy", "Big Time Sensuality", "There's More to Life Than This"), earthy, new age ("One Day", "The Anchor Song", "Aeroplane", "Human Behaviour"), and seductive rhythm based songs ("Venus as a Boy", "Come to Me").

Big Time Sensuality ~ Björk

Human Behaviour ~ Björk

Play Dead ~ Björk

Venus as a Boy ~ Björk

Violently Happy ~ Björk

I want to nominate Bridge Of Sighs by Robin Trower.

trowergg0.jpg

Songlist:

1. Day Of The Eagle

2. Bridge Of Sighs

3. In This Place

4. The Fool And Me

5. Too Rolling Stoned

6. About To Begin

7. Lady Love

8. Little Bit Of Sympathy

This 1974 album was one of the best guitar albums of the decade. The former Procul Harem guitarist along with the distinct voice of bassist James Dewar created one of best sounding albums of the 70's.

Edited by Guest

2000201956689859817_rs.jpg

Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel

"Timeless Flight" (1976)

1- Red Is A Mean, Mean Colour (according allmusic: .. benefits from a hypnotic melody that combines fluid electric piano lines and woozy vocal harmonies to create a compelling ebb-and-flow effect)

2- White, White Dove

3- Understand (according allmusic: lovely ballad that weaves a lush soundscape from a judicious combination of delicate piano lines, Spanish guitar, and lilting background vocals)

4- All Men Are Hungry

5- Black Or White

6- Everything Changes

7- Nothing Is Sacred

8- Don't Go, Don't Cry

Just beautiful songs, especially "All the men are hungry". It wasn´t a succesful album (mainly because the previous one had the hit "Come up and see me (make me smile)" , that reached # 1 in the British Charts). But yet it´s my favourite Steve Harley record...

Edited by Guest

Stelastar* - "Stelastar*"

Listening to them on the radio right now, and thought I'd nominate them. Stellastar are a new york band, who came out with this debut album in 2003. I find it very surprising that they didn't become more popular, perhaps if they came out now (with all the new, electro new dark wave music around) they would have been more successful. Anyway, quite dark, punky, new york sound (on amazon someone called them art-house too, whatever that is). Some cool songs in the album inclde "Jenny", "In the walls" and "pulp song".

2004827683669504163_rs.jpg

GRAHAM PARKER and the RUMOUR

"Squeezing out Sparks", 1979

1- Discovering Japan  

2- Local Girls

3. Nobody Hurts you

4. You can´t be too strong

5. Passion is no ordinary word   

6. Saturday nite is dead

7. Love gest you twisted

8. Protection

9. Waiting for the UFOs

10. Don´t ger excited

GRAHAM PARKER -- lead vocals, rhythm guitar

BOB ANDREWS -- keyboards and backing vocals

MARTIN BELMONT -- rhythm guitar and backing vocals

ANDREW BODNAR -- bass

STEVE GOULDING -- drums and backing vocals

BRINSLEY SCHWARZ -- guitar and backing vocals

Produced by Jack Nietzche- Songs composed by Graham Parker.

Graham Parker is a British singer/songwriter who started his career at the same time and in the same style than Elvis Costello. This album is pure power-pop, with catchy songs and some very good lyrics. You still can listen to it and realise it sounds as if it was a nowadays record. "Discovering Japan" or "You can´t be too strong" are the best tracks of this album, considered as the top in Graham Parker´s discography.

Endlesswirecover.jpg

Endless Wire -- The Who

1. Fragments

2. Man in a Purple Dress

3. Mike Post Theme

4. In the Ether

5. Black Widow's Eyes

6. Two Thousand Years

7. God Speaks of Marty Robbins

8. It's Not Enough

9. You Stand by Me

10. Sound Round

11. Pick Up the Peace

12. Unholy Trinity

13. Trilby's Piano

14. Endless Wire

15. Fragments of Fragments

16. We Got a Hit

17. They Made My Dream Come True

18. Mirror Door

19. Tea & Theatre

This is the Who's first studio album after It's Hard was released in 1982. I bought it the day it was released, and I'm certainly not disappointed. To be honest I didn't expect that much, after all it's been 24 years, but even though Endless Wire might take a few listens to really appreciate, it's still great music. My favourite tracks are Black Widow's Eyes, It's Not Enough, Endless Wire and Mirror Door.

600pxfugeesscorecc0.jpg

Fugees ~ The Score

1. Red Intro

2. How Many Mics

3. Ready Or Not

4. Zealots

5. The Beast

6. Fu-Gee-La

7. Family Business

8. Killing Me Softly

9. The Score

10. The Mask

11. Cowboys

12. No Woman, No Cry

13. Manifest/Outro

14. Fu-Gee-La (Refugee Camp Remix)

15. Fu-Gee-La (Refugee Camp Global Mix)

16. Mista Mista

17. Fu-Gee-La (Refugee Camp Global Mix) (Bonus Track)

A breath of fresh air in the gangsta-dominated mid-'90s, the Fugees' breakthrough album, The Score, marked the beginning of a resurgence in alternative hip-hop. Its left-field, multi-platinum success proved there was a substantial untapped audience with an appreciation for rap music but little interest in thug life. The Score's eclecticism, social consciousness, and pop smarts drew millions of latent hip-hop listeners back into the fold, showing just how much the music had grown up.

(...)

Their strong fondness for smooth soul and reggae is underscored by the two hit covers given slight hip-hop makeovers (Roberta Flack's "Killing Me Softly With His Song" and Bob Marley's "No Woman, No Cry"). Even when they're not relying on easily recognizable tunes, their original material is powered by a raft of indelible hooks, especially the great "Fu-Gee-La"; there are also touches of blues and gospel, and the recognizable samples range from doo wop to Enya. Their protest tracks are often biting, yet tempered with pathos and humanity, whether they're attacking racial profiling among police ("The Beast"), the insecurity behind violent posturing ("Cowboys"), or the inability of many black people in the Western Hemisphere to trace their familial roots ("Family Business").

Fu-Gee-La ~ The Fugees

Killing Me Softly ~ The Fugees

Ready Or Not ~ The Fugees

No Woman No Cry ~ The Fugees with Steve & Bob Marley

• 3 weeks later...

Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention

Freak Out!

FrankZappaFreakOut.jpg

1. Hungry Freaks, Daddy

2. I Ain't Got No Heart

3. Who Are The Brain Police?

4. Go Cry On Somebody Else's Shoulder

5. Motherly Love

6. How Could I Be Such A Fool

7. Wowie Zowie

8. You Didn't Try To Call Me

9. Any Way The Wind Blows

10. I'm Not Satisfied

11. You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here

12. Trouble Every Day

13. Help, I'm A Rock

14. It Can't Happen Here

15. The Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet

The Mothers gradually began to gain attention on the burgeoning Los Angeles underground "freak scene" and in 1965 they were spotted by leading record producer Tom Wilson, who had earned acclaim as the producer of the seminal Bob Dylan album Bringing It All Back Home and the single, "Like a Rolling Stone," as well as the breakthrough "electric" version of Simon & Garfunkel's "Sounds of Silence." Wilson was also notable as one of the few African-Americans working as a major label pop producer at this time. Wilson signed The Mothers to the Verve label, which had built up a strong reputation for its fine modern jazz recordings in the 1940s and 1950s, but was then attempting to diversify into pop and rock, with an "artistic" or "experimental" bent. Around this time, Zappa also met and signed with longtime manager Herb Cohen.

With Wilson credited as producer, The Mothers recorded their groundbreaking double album debut Freak Out! (1966), a mixture of often topical R&B and experimental sound collage that attempted to capture the "freak" subculture of Los Angeles at that time. One of the first record albums united by an underlying theme, it was also only the second double LP of rock music ever released, and firmly established Zappa as a radical new voice in rock music.

A Night at the Opera, one of Queen's greatest.

# Side 1

1. "Death on Two Legs (Dedicated To..." (Mercury) - 3:43

2. "Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon" (Mercury) - 1:07

3. "I'm in Love with My Car" (Taylor) - 3:05

4. "You're My Best Friend" (Deacon) - 2:52

5. "'39" (May) - 3:31

6. "Sweet Lady" (May) - 4:03

7. "Seaside Rendezvous" (Mercury) - 2:15

# Side 2

1. "The Prophet's Song" (May) - 8:21

2. "Love of My Life" (Mercury) - 3:39

3. "Good Company" (May) - 3:23

4. "Bohemian Rhapsody" (Mercury) - 5:55

5. "God Save the Queen" (trad.; Arr. May) - 1:18

This album literally saved Queen from bankruptcy. Had it not been the fantastic success it had been, Queen would have died in 1975.