Random Sports and Sport Talk

PSYCHOcatholic

What you should get is a freaking salary cap...

MLB will never institute a salary cap and it has very little to do with the Yankees. A salary cap would in part, also institute a salary floor, and smaller market teams will find it very difficult to maintain a working budget between the two numbers.

The real problem with major league baseball is teams like the Royals and Pirates, not the Red Sox/Yankees/Mets/Dodgers quadrangle.

... and I don't even see a problem there - except in executive offices - where people make bad choices and that carries down throughout the organization . The Pirates and the Royals both have had good ( and dominate) times and bad times . A rich team that keeps up poor decisions and a bad record will nearly as soon be bankrupt and find itself for sale as quick as a small market team that bases itself on fan support , or what have you , with the same results .

Are Texiera or Sabbatia worth their salaries ? If they go out in round one to lesser salaried players , then one could say no and the fall out is much larger , overall , than say if the Angels go out in round 1 .

Are Teixeira or Sabathia worth their salaries?

Regardless of what the Yankees do in the postseason, signing Mark Teixeira and CC Sabathia were two of the smartest and best moves Brian Cashman has ever made as GM of this ballclub. That is fact. They weren't just big-money moves, they were SMART big-money moves. They allow this team to be as competitive as they are this year for many more seasons to come, which is something past big-money signings have not been able to do.

Ahh , but there are no facts in baseball other than stats , and more importantly , titles and big moments . If either player comes up a dud next year or in the post-season , they ( by most estimations ) are not worth it . A -Rod is trying to shake this label now , as well .

Dave Roberts is hardly worth a dime to any team right now , but to any Red Sox fan , his stolen base leading to 'the rally' is priceless ...

If either player comes up a dud next year or in the post-season , they ( by most estimations ) are not worth it .

You're not a Yankees fan, I am. I've been following this team for 15 years now. I am telling you, from what I've seen over the years, both in the lean years and the not-so-lean years, Sabathia and Teixeira are not going to be looked at as "duds" if we don't win the WS this year. Without either of them on this team, we aren't making the playoffs this season, next season and probably the season after that. So right there, they are paying back dividends.

... and sucking salary out of the rest of your starting pitching corps which is an Achilles heel right now .

How do you know I'm not a Yankees fan ? I'm often accused of being such on these boards and I'm pleased to report that I am not - and will use your quote to confirm it . I'm an MLB fan , and often pick someone differently I'd like to see win, or do well , each and every season - and it could very well be the Yankees if the planets are in alignment . :D

... and sucking salary out of the rest of your starting pitching corps which is an Achilles heel right now .

How do I know you're not a Yankees fan? No actual Yankees fan would say that Sabathia and Teixeira will be duds if we don't win the WS this year.

Is our rotation a question mark right now? Aside from Sabathia and Pettitte yeah it is. But Burnett has had a couple good starts in a row and so has Chamberlain. In the playoffs if you get the long series, you only need 4 starters and that would be them right there. That being said, Sabathia and Teixeira are not sucking money from the rotation. It's been a matter of injury and our front office messing with Joba's mechanics that have lead to their problems - it hasn't been financial.

Oh , I see - and I don't see any Yankees sweep were they to go to the WS , so THAT is a question mark.

It's impossible to say right now what any team that is playoff-bound will do or won't do. Obviously you want your team to win and the teams you don't like to lose, but that goes for any time of year, not just October.

Yankee Nation is very happy today. They swept away the Jack La Lalanne Juicers, and hopefully will do well in the playoffs. Thank Goodness they don't play The Angels in the first round. They own the Yankees. I've taken the train to Anaheim for a three game series, and usually they would sweep America's team, and the fans would heckle the &*&^% out of me and my drunken buddies. Good TIMES.

Yankee Nation is very happy today. They swept away the Jack La Lalanne Juicers, and hopefully will do well in the playoffs. Thank Goodness they don't play The Angels in the first round. They own the Yankees. I've taken the train to Anaheim for a three game series, and usually they would sweep America's team, and the fans would heckle the &*&^% out of me and my drunken buddies. Good TIMES.

As much as it would sicken me to do it, an Angels/Red Sox ALDS would force me to root for Boston. We can beat the Red Sox, we've shown it time and time again. While we evened the season series against Anaheim, we can't beat them in their own park on a consistent basis and I want no part of that stupid rally monkey.

You are a true Yankee fan...any year that the Yankees don't win the World Series is a "lean year".

Don't be snide. You're damn right I'm a true fan - I've been watching this team since before we started winning, and I've been watching even after that run stopped.

I called those years "lean" because we didn't perform to expectations. It doesn't matter what those expectations are. Of course those years were nothing like the god-awful teams of the 80s, but they were still bad in their own way. Lean for us is not the same as lean for say, the Milwaukee Brewers but that doesn't make them any less disappointing.

Don't be snide. You're damn right I'm a true fan - I've been watching this team since before we started winning, and I've been watching even after that run stopped.

I called those years "lean" because we didn't perform to expectations. Lean for us is not the same as lean for say, the Milwaukee Brewers but that doesn't make them any less disappointing.

Are you even reading this back to yourself? "Lean" for the Yankees isn't the same as "lean" for the Brewers. You've surely learned the typical Yankees fan sense of entitlement in just 15 years.

When did the run stop? One year of missing the playoffs...heaven forbid. The Yankees are at or near the top every year. Losing in the playoffs, losing the World Series is not defined as "lean" it's defined as getting beaten by another team. Yes, maybe another team actually played better than the Yankees. Don't give the other teams credit though, chalk it up to it being a lean year.

You've surely learned the typical Yankees fan sense of entitlement in just 15 years.

LOL, you're killing me here. There is no such thing as a "typical" Yankees fan, any more than there is a "typical" Red Sox fan or a "typical" Cubs fan....the list goes on. Such a thing just doesn't exist. There's no handbook or rulebook or list of behaviors fans of specific teams have to exhibit in order to call themselves fans of that team. Yankees fans have a stereotype, one that is about 95% rooted in complete horsepuckey but hey....don't let that stop you from swiping that broad brush around.

Trust me dearie, I've heard it all. We're all bandwagoners, we only like the team when they win, we're spoiled, all we do is spend money, all we do is boo our players, we run people out of town, we're bad for baseball, Steinbrenner is Satan.....if it's out there, someone has either posted it on my site or emailed it to me or said to my face. All I do is laugh.

Do I want the Yankees to win every year? Of course, what kind of fan DOESN'T want their team to go all the way. Does that mean if we don't, the team sucked? Nope. We've had some damn good teams over the years that have just run into buzzsaws at the wrong time. Disappointing, but hardly cause for the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I'm sorry that you don't like the Yankees or their fans. Really. That doesn't mean however, that I'm going to let you broad-brush me as someone or something I'm not merely because you don't like what I am.