Random Sports and Sport Talk

PSYCHOcatholic

Last night I was at the Phoenix Suns / Houston Rockets game; one of the players (Yao Ming) fell down and pulled himself up by grabbing onto Shaquille O'Neal's shorts and he almost ripped them off. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen at a sporting event.

They were through most of the '90s when Nomo was hot and nearly alone as a Japanese player in the majors . However ,he started to fade talent-wise , got traded around , and as Ichiro and then Matsui and Matsuzaka came over , the Dodgers were mostly forgotten . Hence the Mariners ( owned by Nintendo still ,I think ) ,Yankees and Red Sox games make up the vast majority of televised games . We do get the odd game from Chicago (Fukudome ) ,Tampa (Iwamura )and LA again as Fukuda is in the rotation there now , and perhaps more if more (of interest to Japanese fans ) are signed .

Edited by Guest

No , definitely not . The Japanese/Chinese and Japanese/Koreans have some deep historical issues and prejudices that they can't seem to get past . I think , though , that real NBA fans here like him and are proud to see an Asian player do well - they don't have many other choices , though , do they ? For the average man-on -the -street , though they would likely choose Shaq or some of the more heralded players. Same for baseball; had Japan lost in the semi's they would rather see anyone other than Korea win instead .

Edited by Guest

Australia have already [smallest](pretty much)[/smallest] qualified for the World Cup 2010! :rockon: :bow:

Being in the Asian qualification group has worked very well for the Socceroos. They still have three games to go, but have about a 99% chance of qualifying (I think we just have to draw or win one of the three games, or have Bahrain draw or lose one of their two remaining games). :)

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Harry Kalas, the longtime voice of the Philadelphia Phillies collapsed and died around 1 PM today while preparing for this afternoon's game in Washington. He was 73 years old and had been feeling poorly.

He was a great man in addition to being a great broadcaster. We will miss him.

May he rest in peace.

Harry Kalas, the longtime voice of the Philadelphia Phillies collapsed and died around 1 PM today while preparing for this afternoon's game in Washington. He was 73 years old and had been feeling poorly.

He was a great man in addition to being a great broadcaster. We will miss him.

May he rest in peace.

I heard they found him in his broadcast booth. That has got to be the best way to go for a sports broadcaster. Luckily for him he saw the Phillies win it last year.

R.I.P. ,Harry . It's been a tough week in the world of baseball .

More sad news as "The Bird " passed away as well . What a fun season that was ('76) ; and timely , as baseball was slumping in people's interest and needed a boost . Fidrych helped make it so .

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-obit-fidrych&prov=ap&type=lgns

Edited by Guest

Sammy , you'd love this !

The Yankees suck so badly today that they've got Nick Swisher pitching in the 8th inning ( down 15-5 to the Rays ) . :doh: :laughing: :laughing: He's doing no worse than the bullpen , however - got a 'K' - the most effective Yankee pitcher tonight . Way to go , Nick ! Just got out of the inning so allowing no runs, so will have a career 0.00 ERA ! :thumbsup: :laughing:

Wade Boggs was the last position player to pitch for them 12 years ago , they just said .

Edited by Guest