Random Sports and Sport Talk

PSYCHOcatholic

I hate The Cowboys, but I now have a new respect for their quarterback, Tony Romo, who has been romanticly linked with Carrie Underwood. In Entertainment Weekly, Underwood said this about their relationship:

"Point blank, he is about football. I don't know if it's that I'm not quite his type or whatever, but I don't think he's at the piont in his life where he would be willing to sacrifice football."

This is exactly what I want to hear from my quarterback. There will be plenty of time for Country starlets when the career is over, but for now, Romo has one of the most important jobs in the world, and he knows it. Girls are great, but they make you cuddle and eat sushi and talk about your feelings. They're just not conducive to football. This is why Tony Romo will always be better than Matt Leinart.

I love this Red Sox team. They brought me tremendous joy this season by going essentially wire to wire, something this franchise just doesn't do. They're supposed to give us heart palpitations as they go back in forth in the standings, eventually winning the wild card. I've made my calls, so now in my dazed euphoria, I present some thoughts:

1) What's really amazing about this team is how they gave EXACTLY enough effort - not too little or too much. They won 96 games - 1 fewer and they don't get home field and probably lose to Cleveland. Tito squeezed precicely what he needed out of the bullpen up through the final out, when Pappelbon was running on fumes. The Yankees pressed all year, while the Sox knew when to take it easy. They were loose and ready for the playoffs, and had the team to win. Unbelievable job by Francona.

2) This team is great, but what the 2004 squad accomplished was more impressive because they had to fight off 86 years of demons and beat the Yankees in the playoffs. The Yanks smacked these Sox around at the end of the season, it I was happy not to see them in the playoffs.

3) The Sox are like what the Yankees used to be: a well-crafted team with a few stars that rocks in the playoffs. From 1996 until the last inning of 2001 game 7, it would frustrate the hell out of me when teams were clearly intimidated by the Yankees and would get out of their game as a result. Pitchers who threw strikes all year would suddenly lose the plate, guys would make idiotic baserunning plays, and one mistake would inevitably lead to disaster. That's how the Sox opponents play now. The Rockies panicked from the start, from pitchers melting down at Fenway Park to Holliday getting picked off to Hurdle managing as if giving up one run early in the game would guarantee defeat. This is what it feels like to be pretty darn sure that your team is going to find a way. That's mojo.

3) The Sox are like what the Yankees used to be: a well-crafted team with a few stars that rocks in the playoffs. From 1996 until the last inning of 2001 game 7, it would frustrate the hell out of me when teams were clearly intimidated by the Yankees and would get out of their game as a result. Pitchers who threw strikes all year would suddenly lose the plate, guys would make idiotic baserunning plays, and one mistake would inevitably lead to disaster. That's how the Sox opponents play now. The Rockies panicked from the start, from pitchers melting down at Fenway Park to Holliday getting picked off to Hurdle managing as if giving up one run early in the game would guarantee defeat. This is what it feels like to be pretty darn sure that your team is going to find a way. That's mojo.

No, it's more like the general public makes a big deal about them, even when they have bad seasons. I saw an episode of 'PTI' once where they even said that part of the problem was that ESPN overrates the rivalry between the Yanks & the Sawx and then misses out on all the other good action going on. 'Cause, you know, there really are a whole bunch of other good teams out there.

Edited by Guest

And with John Henry and owner who won't hesitate to spend money for what the team needs. We long for that here in Philly.

And in St Louis. Jockety is gone, and he's the man that coordinated the players that have gave the Cardinals so much success. LaRussa is still there...just barely. Between the two of them they managed to take players that other teams didn't want or need, and really do something with them. What St Louis needs are owners that are willing to spend some money. All the smart Gm's and award winning managers in the world can't put together a World Class team, built around couple of greats and a group of jack of all trades players.

So, what are you saying, Uncs? Trade Pujols? He's the only power they have. Great pitching, yes, a team needs it. Speed and defense can be sacrificed if you have some power and a few pitchers that strike batters out.

On-base percentage and strikeout-to-walk ratio are big factors. Check out the Red Sox, Yankees, Indians and Rockies....see where they rank in OBP.....I'm guessing 1 thru 4, or pretty close.

And then, ulitmately, it's clutch hitting. Boston has it, A-Rod doesn't.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

No, there's room on the Cards for Pujols and Rolen (if LaRussa still wants him). But overhaul the OF. Find some speedy guys for the top of the order and move (singles hitter) Eckstein to the bottom. Bat your pitchers 9th.

Otherwise replace the OF, SS, 2B with guys who have some sock.

The pitching's pretty much in place.

I believe that with their ballpark the Cards shoud go back to being a pitching, speed and defense team like in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

:bow: Thank you Joe. You are on the money. A return to Whitey Ball is what we need. :bow:

..or the steroids of the 90's and 00's.

}:( No. You do know that Big Mac was never a favorite of St Louisans, don't you? He was a sideshow freak, great for the game, not so much for the team.