Random Sports and Sport Talk

PSYCHOcatholic

Sea. Off. coach: "Hmm... 2nd and 1 for a TD? Hey!! Let's get Wilson to pass it! He completes at least 7 of every 50 passes! I don't think we have anybody who can run the ball..."

NE Def. coach: "The Seahawks are more stupid than I thought!"

:doh: :laughing: :jester: :neener:

I don't care for either team, but that was horrible

• 1 month later...

Baseball season is just around the corner, and what a pitching staff the Nationals have assembled. Fister, Scherzer, Strasburg, Zimmerman and Gonzalez. And who do the Blue Jays have? Dickey, Buehrle, Hutchinson, Stroman and one no name selected from a bunch of no names. Yeesh. They have one of the best hitting teams in the American League but their pitching sucks.

The Red Sox certainly made some great offseason acquisitions. Ramirez and Sandoval will certainly benefit from playing in a hitters ballpark. If Ortiz can continue to defy time and Pedroia benefits from the improved hitting around him, the Red Sox should win their division.

I just can't see the Giants winning the world series this year. They did very little in the offseason to improve and their pitching isn't good enough to take them all the way again.

It will be interesting to see if the Royals can continue to defy the oddsmakers. On paper, there are a lot of teams better than the Royals, but that was also true last year and they made it to within 1 game of the World Series championship.

I like the Royals. You're right about them, C-A. They're an average team full of grinders who make them over-achievers. For a team with few "star players" they play like a stacked squad. They've been improving steadily the last few years and they'll probably continue.

The Jays, who I don't care for anyway, will begin their decline this year. As is the norm for any Toronto sports franchise, they've built a solid team after wallowing in the bottom of the league. So with a team close to being WS contenders they've decided to begin tearing down the team and any serious championship hopes. Soon Toronto will be back sitting comfortably at the bottom of the AL East.

I like the Royals. You're right about them, C-A. They're an average team full of grinders who make them over-achievers. For a team with few "star players" they play like a stacked squad. They've been improving steadily the last few years and they'll probably continue.

The Jays, who I don't care for anyway, will begin their decline this year. As is the norm for any Toronto sports franchise, they've built a solid team after wallowing in the bottom of the league. So with a team close to being WS contenders they've decided to begin tearing down the team and any serious championship hopes. Soon Toronto will be back sitting comfortably at the bottom of the AL East.

I actually liked the trades they made this year. Donaldson is a huge upgrade on Lawrie and I think Martin and Saunders, when he returns, can make some valuable contributions. The problem is, as always, the pitching, or lack thereof. They made no attempt to improve it. No one is going to be intimidated by the anemic starters and they have no proven shut down closer. Stroman is the only pitcher who has any chance to win a significant number of games.

I don't think I'll be participating this year. Takes alot of constant maintenance & my browser likes to act goofy sometimes. Last year I basically stopped playing near seasons end because I'd lost so many games for the month my web browser was snagged.

I feel if someone plays they should at least try :tongue:

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it's pretty cool. Long time since that happened. Glad the Leafs don't get a shot. Pecker-heads. I hate them as much as the Bruins!

I don't like/dislike the Sens, 'Nucks or Flames. But good for them. Hope the Sens do get a shot.

My 2 teams are the Habs: because I'm French-Canadian & it's a historically proven fact that the greatest hockey players are Franco-Canadien, and the home team Winnipeg Jets. I hope the Jets put up a good fight, but it's a given that Montreal will hoist Stanley in the end. :bow: :grin:

In my not so expert opinion, my choices for Stanley Cup winner this year in order of likelihood are:

1. New York Rangers (Lundquist must stay healthy)

2. Montreal Canadiens (IMO, the most balanced scoring attack in the NHL)

3. Chicago Blackhawks (They always raise the level of their game in the playoffs)

As for my second favourite team, the Flames, they will beat the Canucks in six but will not advance beyond the second round.

And for your edification, Ray, the greatest player of all time is Gordie Howe followed by Joe Sakic, Bobby Orr, and Wayne Gretzky none of whom are from la belle province. And everyone knows the greatest player from Quebec is Gaston "Big Blast" Gingras. :D=:P

Bite me! :laughing:

Guy Lafleur

Maurice Richard

Doug Harvey

Dickie Moore

Henri Richard

Georges Vezina

Lester Patrick

Serge Savard

Denis Savard

Jean Beliveau

Mike Bossy

Jacques Plante

Bernie Parent

Raymond Bourque

Richard Brodeur

Martin Brodeur

Patrick Roy

Guy Carbonneau

Mario Lemieux

Bernie Geoffrion

Vincent Damphousse

Mario Gosselin

Dan Daoust

Rejean "Reggie" Lemelin

Geatan Duschesne

Rod Gilbert

Michel Goulet

Jacques LaPierre

Guy LaPointe

Jacques Lemaire

Roberto Luongo

Joe Malone

Sylvio Mantha

Buddy O'Connor

Gilbert Perreault

Pierre Pilote

Marcel Pronovost

Jean Ratelle

Luc Robitaille

Nels Stewart

Mario Tremblay

Rogie Vachon

Gump Worseley

And for fun: Marc-Andre Fleury & Jean-Sebastien Giguere.

Notice how many have trophies named after them? :grin:

Greatest Albertan: Tyler Sloan! :jester:

Gordie Howe

Bobby Hull

Dave Keon

Ted Lindsay

Bryan Trottier

Clark Gillies

Norm Ullman

Carl Brewer

Bobby Baun

Bobby Clarke

Phil Esposito

Steve Yzerman

Dale Hawerchuk

Johnny Bucyk

Reggie Leach

Mike Gartner

Darryl Sittler

etc. etc. etc.

And I still say big blast Gingras is the best Quebec born player to have played in the NHL. =:P

Fast Eddie was awesome! Somehow forgot him. If I tried that list would be longer than the bible.

Yes, Gingras had a slapper no goalie wanted to stop, but he wasn't the best! :tongue:

By the way: you forgot Henderson!

The hero of the Summit Series! :bow:

Edited by Guest

It doesn't matter who plays against the Habs in the east. They will be slaughtered brutally and swiftly!!
Stanley Cup: here we come!
Olé, olé olé olé!!!
:champions: :greatestteamtohittheice:
:careyprice: :stanleycup: :bleublancetrouge:

(yes... these are my personal emoticons) :P

The Jets did better than they were supposed to. Keep each game as tight as they did against a much more playoff-experienced and just plain superior team was good. Nobody expected a real Cup run. Except those who don't understand hockey, of course.
I would have been happier with just one win at the MTS Centre, but... oh well.
My Habs are gonna Carey the Cup soon. :grin:

Edited by Rayzor
Because I wanna edit it. Why do you ask?