Random Sports and Sport Talk

PSYCHOcatholic

• 1 month later...

Last night the Ravens kicker Justin Tucker had the greatest night in the history of kickers, going 6-6 on field goals, including a 61-yarder to win the game.

He then gave the most coherent and insightful sideline interview I've ever heard, saying:

"My fantasy team is benefiting from it"

and

"Fantasy owners around the world, I hope you guys appreciate the points"

In these statements, we learned that not only does he have a fantasy team with himself on it, but that is fully aware that his widest-reaching impact is among fantasy football players, not Ravens or Lions fans.

Last night the Ravens kicker Justin Tucker had the greatest night in the history of kickers, going 6-6 on field goals, including a 61-yarder to win the game.

He then gave the most coherent and insightful sideline interview I've ever heard, saying:

"My fantasy team is benefiting from it"

and

"Fantasy owners around the world, I hope you guys appreciate the points"

In these statements, we learned that not only does he have a fantasy team with himself on it, but that is fully aware that his widest-reaching impact is among fantasy football players, not Ravens or Lions fans.

I love that man. I love that man so much. As a Ravens fan, I've loved having the guy as a kicker, he's ridiculously awesome. Add in the fact that he sings opera in like five different languages and yea, you've got an awesome dude.

• 2 weeks later...

It's such BS that the 10-6 Cards don't get to go to the playoffs, but the 8-7-1 Packers do. The NFL needs to change their division policy. Also doesn't make sense for the 8 win Packers to host the 12 win 49ers in Green Bay.

They are planning on upping the amount of playoff teams to 7 per conference with only the #1 seed getting a BYE, but that won't take into affect until next year or later.

I think the wild card spots should be filled by any NFL teams not tops in their division but with a great record. Winning the division deserves a spot though. Every sport with conference playoff spots have trouble with good teams missing out and mediocre teams getting into playoffs. No matter how many playoff positions there are. Hockey & basketball have same problem & half the league make up the playoff positions. Not an easy fix...

• 2 weeks later...

Well the hype leading up to the Super Bowl is getting crazy around here. The weather is a main concern to everybody except those of us who live in the area. Face it, we knew it wouldn't be warm and there would be a threat of snow...that's winter in New Jersey. Mother Nature must love watching the alarmists panic so today we are getting in the neighborhood of one foot of snow to be followed by an artic cold front of single digit temperatures for a few days.

I'm happy to say that price gouging is already being noted at all area hotels. Even those hourly rate motels (you know what I mean) are getting longer term clientele.

If you want to park in the stadium lot for the game it will cost you $150...and remember NO TAILGATING ALLOWED. If you want the no frills bus you can go park in a remote lot and pay $51 for the bus ride (plus the parking lot cost).

The stadium is surrounded by Routes 3, 17 and the New Jersey Turnpike. Paul Simon never got done counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike... that's how many cars travel it daily. There are construction projects that have been going on for 30 years that won't be done in the next 12 days. Traffic will be a super nightmare.

The threat of terrorist attacks is always high in our region...when you add the single largest sporting event in the world to the equation it becomes a palpable risk. The people that work to protect us day in and day out do an amazing job. The alerts they must repond to daily are at the highest levels.

Every small business in the region is thumbing their nose at the NFL and using "Super bowl" in their ads and signs. Only the deep pockets have to worry about calling it "The Big Game".

Many people are renting out their homes for over $10K for the week to high end game attendees.

The Bronco are practicing at The Jets facility out in Florham Park, NJ. That quiet little town is in for shock next week. The Seahawks will practice at The Giants facility right at the stadium. Both teams are staying in Jersey City hotels for easy access to both the stadium and New York City.

I'll fill you in on other details as the game gets closer.

I live very close to Baltusrol Golf Course in NJ. There is a major there every 12 years or so. In 2016 the PGA Championship is coming. Many people in town rent their houses out for the week to golfers and fans alike. Zygi Wilf (owner of the Minn Vikings) lives in my town. He build luxury condos directly across the street and up the hill from the golf course. They go fast too.

Many people advertise parking in their driveways for $50 or so. they'll even drive you closer to the course.

The best idea came from a guy who knew that cell phones aren't allowed on the course. He waited at the front gate to collect and hold phones for people who didn't want to go all the way back to their cars. He basically used coatroom tickets and kept the phones in paper bags until you came to collect it later.

Super Bowl weeks moves ahead and the security aspects of the event are evident. There are new electronic signs all over the place warning us to be aware of our surroundings. The radio is full od public service ads doing the same.

I found myself in the area of the stadium and the media day events yesterday. The traffic was OK. I was even driving in the nearby swamps and meadows area and there were helicopters all over the place. This was prime Sopranos territory (when somebody got disposed of) so maybe the hoped to find Jimmy Hoffa.

I was driving down the NJ turnpike at 6:00 PM when it was announced on the radio that Verizon was taking text messages and creating a light show on the Empire State Building. The DJ told us to look at the building if we were in the area. I was directly across from it and saw the light show begin.. It was coordinated with music on the radio. I noticed as soon as it started, all the brake lights on the turnpike turned red. It's hard to slow down from 80 to 60.

The sun gods and football gods apparently had a meeting and now it is predicted to be about 50 degrees on Sunday. That should make lots of people happy.

I just heard that hazmat teams are out because a white powdery substance has been identified at a number of hotels around the stadium. I wouldn't be surprised if it was road salt based on the amount that has been used over the past month.

Super Bowl ticket prices have dropped on the secondary market. Drug purchases and prostitution seem to be doing fairly well based on the number of arrests in the area. Hookers, drugs and football...perfect together.

But for 12 hours the Super Bowl could have been a snow bowl. It is snowing hard right now and we expect 8 plus inches before it ends. Based on the results of the game I don't think snow would have helped Denver or hurt Seattle.

Fortunately there were no major security problems. The biggest headache were the massive lines getting into and leaving the stadium.

Pitchers and catchers report in less than 2 weeks.

That was , without a doubt, one of the worst football games I've ever seen. I give the Seahawks plenty of credit, but how in the hell did Denver even get to the Superbowl? Denver's tackling was atrocious, Manning's decision making was horrible and the whole team's lack of focus was blatantly obvious. I feel sorry for the Denver fans who spent buckets of money to attend that debacle.

While Manning is a great quarterback, his lack of playoff success will forever keep him from the ranks of the elite quarterbacks like Joe Montana.