Random Sports and Sport Talk

PSYCHOcatholic

If the Rangers were playing any other team I'd be rooting for them, I like the Rangers .... just not this year. ;)

Starting pitching is definatly an issue, other than Carp, the Cards pitching is fairly mediocre this year w/o Wainright in the mix as well. Though that wasn't the problem last night. :P

Congrats to the Cards. Quite a comeback story.

I couldn't cheer for the Rangers on the grounds that they were at least once owned by the same people who bought a bunch of great radio stations and turned them to corporate mush (and fired me - twice!). I did think the constant shots of a dejected Nolan Ryan were unnecessary.

I don't think any St Louisan is surprised, they've been talking Tony's retirement for a long time. :D I'm just glad he waited to get one more title before leaving. It makes things a little scarier, leaving things up in the air with Pujols & LaRussa both, but hopefully this opens the door for Oquendo.

I am convinced that the Dolphins are "faking it" (0-7) to get Andrew Luck next season.

No, they truly suck! I might agree with you, but I've been watching them for years, and they've been doing the exact same thing for the past three years...blowing leads in the final five minutes. I can only blame it on the coach. I like the guy, but it's definitely time for him to go. I figure they'll let him stay the rest of the season; that way, they won't have to pay two coaches to suck out loud.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Didn't Indianapolis just get beat by, like, fifty-five?

:afro: :afro: :afro: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Point taken. The suck for Luck campaign is a close race. Both Indy and Miami are doing quite well at sucking. Though I feel like Indy might not want to draft a QB in the first round since they have Peyton and all. But who knows? They may just pull a Packers and draft a young talented guy to sit on the bench behind their star til he retires.

The Colts definitely will want to take Andrew Luck. You start a rookie QB on a crappy team, you're generally going to destroy his career, no matter how good he was in college (see: Brady Quinn). You give a rookie QB the chance to learn under a hall-of-fame bound veteran for a few years then step up to take his place, you have a future franchise player (see: Aaron Rodgers).

The Colts definitely will want to take Andrew Luck. You start a rookie QB on a crappy team, you're generally going to destroy his career, no matter how good he was in college (see: Brady Quinn). You give a rookie QB the chance to learn under a hall-of-fame bound veteran for a few years then step up to take his place, you have a future franchise player (see: Aaron Rodgers).

If you draft an overrated QB too high and start him, you ruin his career and your team.

See: Brady Quinn

See: Ryan Leaf

See: Tim Couch

See: Jamarcus Russell

See: Pat Sullivan

See: Matt Leinart

See: David Carr

See: Todd Blackledge

See: Joey Harrington

See: Rick Mirer

I still think it all has to do with the coaching. When a team has a great head coach, that team wins consistently. Take Tom Brady...please!

Seriously, though...do you think Tom Brady would be AS GREAT as he is if he were with the Seattle Seahawks, the Atlanta Falcons, or even the Oakland Raiders?! No way! He might be good, but those teams have never had a coach as good as Bill Whatzhisface.

Unlike all the other sports...in football, it's ALL about the Coach.

Don Shula, Tom Landry, Bill Cowher, John Madden, Sean Payton, Jimmy Johnson, Andy Reid, Dick Vermeil...I'll even go as far as to say Rex Ryan (even though I absolutely hate that fat sonnuvabitch)... but these coaches won every year...EVERY YEAR... that they were in the league (give or take a couple, of course, for rebuilding)! They built THEIR teams, and kept on winning.

My two cents.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :soapbox: :thumbsup:

I still think it all has to do with the coaching. When a team has a great head coach, that team wins consistently. Take Tom Brady...please!

Seriously, though...do you think Tom Brady would be AS GREAT as he is if he were with the Seattle Seahawks, the Atlanta Falcons, or even the Oakland Raiders?! No way! He might be good, but those teams have never had a coach as good as Bill Whatzhisface.

Unlike all the other sports...in football, it's ALL about the Coach.

Don Shula, Tom Landry, Bill Cowher, John Madden, Sean Payton, Jimmy Johnson, Andy Reid, Dick Vermeil...I'll even go as far as to say Rex Ryan (even though I absolutely hate that fat sonnuvabitch)... but these coaches won every year...EVERY YEAR... that they were in the league (give or take a couple, of course, for rebuilding)! They built THEIR teams, and kept on winning.

My two cents.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :soapbox: :thumbsup:

I think his skill would be the same, however no one would really be fawning all over him like they do now.

I personally think if Archie Manning and Terry Bradshaw had switched teams, everyone would be all giddy about Archie Manning and no one would care about Terry Bradshaw.

A lot of times, how "good" people perceive you as being depends on your team.

I personally think if Archie Manning and Terry Bradshaw had switched teams, everyone would be all giddy about Archie Manning and no one would care about Terry Bradshaw.

A lot of times, how "good" people perceive you as being depends on your team.

Bradshaw is a perfect example of this, overrated mediocre quarterback who had hall of fame talent surrounding him. It was their defense that won 4 super bowls.