Random Sports and Sport Talk

PSYCHOcatholic

• 3 weeks later...

Man, after Lebron's whole "decision" special, I've never seen public opinion on an athlete change so drastically so quickly. It seems like in one hour he went from everyone's favorite athlete to the most despised celebrity on the planet.

It's not even close. Lebron may have the talent that Kobe has, possibly even more. But Kobe never had to set up a dream team behind the scenes to support him. He has been a winner with every line-up, with or without Shaq, from the beginning. And I don't even like Kobe, or the Lakers, but Lebron destroyed any chance he has at being the greatest player in basketball with this move. And he wants to be better than Michael Jordan? If Jordan heard about Wade and Bosh teaming up in Miami, he would do everything he could to prepare to beat them, not join them.

By RONALD BLUM, AP Sports Writer Ronald Blum, Ap Sports Writer – 11 mins ago

NEW YORK – George Steinbrenner, who rebuilt the New York Yankees into a sports empire with a mix of bluster and big bucks that polarized fans all across America, died Tuesday. He had just celebrated his 80th birthday July 4.

Steinbrenner had a heart attack, was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Fla., and died at about 6:30 a.m, a person close to the owner told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team had not disclosed those details.

For more than 30 years, Steinbrenner lived up to his billing as "the Boss," a nickname he earned and clearly enjoyed as he ruled with an iron fist. The Yankees won six World Series titles during his reign.

He was known for feuds, clashing with Yankees great Yogi Berra and firing manager Billy Martin twice. But as his health declined, Steinbrenner let sons Hal and Hank run more of the family business.

Steinbrenner was in fragile health for years, resulting in fewer public appearances and pronouncements. Yet dressed in his trademark navy blue blazer and white turtleneck, he was the model of success: The Yankees won seven World Series titles after his reign began in 1973

Till the end, he demanded championships. He barbed Joe Torre during the 2007 AL playoffs, then let the popular manager leave after another loss in the opening round. The team responded last year by winning another title.

His death was the second in three days to rock the Yankees. Bob Sheppard, the team's revered public address announcer from 1951-07, died Sunday at 99.

:afro: :afro: :afro:

It's not even close. Lebron may have the talent that Kobe has, possibly even more. But Kobe never had to set up a dream team behind the scenes to support him. He has been a winner with every line-up, with or without Shaq, from the beginning. And I don't even like Kobe, or the Lakers, but Lebron destroyed any chance he has at being the greatest player in basketball with this move. And he wants to be better than Michael Jordan? If Jordan heard about Wade and Bosh teaming up in Miami, he would do everything he could to prepare to beat them, not join them.

Someone read Bill Simmons recently, ha ha. It's totally true though. Honestly I think from here on out, once their careers are over, Lebron will have to match Kobe's championships. The argument that Lebron didn't win a championship with the Cavs because he didn't have the supporting talent was a fair argument I suppose, but now that he's able to craft this dream team with 3 top 10 players on it, there will be no excuse for him to retire with less championships than Kobe (except the excuse that he isn't as good as Kobe, which remains to be seen imo).

The argument that Lebron didn't win a championship with the Cavs because he didn't have the supporting talent was a fair argument I suppose,

I see him being like Shaq, as a journeyman and winning rings with different teams. Shaq lost the finals once during his first tenure with Orlando but won several with the Lakers and one with the Heat.

Joe Montana's son and other Notre Dame athletes arrested for underage drinking.

The son of former Notre Dame standout Joe Montana was among 11 Fighting Irish athletes arrested on misdemeanor charges of underage drinking at a party Friday night. 44 total people were arrested and subsequently released after posting bail. All have court dates set for later on this month where if convicted, they could be sentenced to 30 days in jail.

They aren't the first college athletes to be arrested for drinking, and they won't be the last. People are only taking notice of this because he's a hall of famer's son. It's most likely they will get probation and have to do extra laps and other punishment exercises by coach Brian Kelly.

South Bend police keeping the streets safe once more by arresting college students for being college students (I've had a few run-ins with them myself).

Apparently the police showed up because a fight started. Seriously, if you're at an off-campus party, drinking underage, and a fight breaks out, get the hell out of there. The police are going to show up every time. I may be a drunken idiot, but I'm a cautious drunken idiot.

He was a walk on here, left for Washington (for academic reasons, I think) and then came back. I'm not sure if he's scholarship now or not. Honestly, if I was Joe Montana's son and not scholarship-quality, the last place I would want to go is Notre Dame. Too many expectations.

I heard from my friend who is taking summer classes and was at this party (he got away because he was smart enough to leave when a fight broke out) that the cops shot tasers at students who ran. That is f***ing ridiculous. I have nothing against police officers in general, but I hate the South Bend police. The crime rate in the poor sections of town is off the charts, and you're tasering college kids for drinking? Assholes.

• 1 month later...