Random Sports and Sport Talk

PSYCHOcatholic

I think it's pretty ridiculous that people are now complaining about the length of baseball. Baseball's been around forever and all of a sudden it's too long? It's stupid. How about football? That takes a couple hours. Especially in overtime. Is that too long? Maybe we should knock off a couple of holes in golf cause a round takes too long. And you know what? Basketball takes way too long, lets knock a few minutes off of that. Does anyone complain about that? No.

My philosophy: If you think baseball takes too long and is boring, DON'T WATCH IT. It's fairly simple. It's the same reason I don't watch grass grow, paint dry, or Nancy Grace. It's pretty simple. I also believe that if Joe West thinks baseball takes too long, he can go get another job.

Baseball needs replay bad. I would say use it on out/safe calls, home runs and strikeouts. I would say, just like in football, each manager gets a certain amount of challenges. That way, they can strategically decide which plays to challenge as opposed to every play. Bud Selig and his stupid "human element of baseball" BS is moronic. Replay would not drastically change baseball for the worse. It would make mistakes like the perfect game mistake and the numerous mistakes in last years playoffs not happen.

I think it's pretty ridiculous that people are now complaining about the length of baseball. Baseball's been around forever and all of a sudden it's too long? It's stupid. How about football? That takes a couple hours. Especially in overtime. Is that too long? Maybe we should knock off a couple of holes in golf cause a round takes too long. And you know what? Basketball takes way too long, lets knock a few minutes off of that. Does anyone complain about that? No.

My philosophy: If you think baseball takes too long and is boring, DON'T WATCH IT. It's fairly simple. It's the same reason I don't watch grass grow, paint dry, or Nancy Grace. It's pretty simple. I also believe that if Joe West thinks baseball takes too long, he can go get another job.

Baseball needs replay bad. I would say use it on out/safe calls, home runs and strikeouts. I would say, just like in football, each manager gets a certain amount of challenges. That way, they can strategically decide which plays to challenge as opposed to every play. Bud Selig and his stupid "human element of baseball" BS is moronic. Replay would not drastically change baseball for the worse. It would make mistakes like the perfect game mistake and the numerous mistakes in last years playoffs not happen.

I agree...and remember, baseball is the only major team sport that isn't on a time clock. You play until certain goals are attained, namely outs over 9 innings (no matter how long it takes).

I also think that baseball is the only major team sport (other than soccer maybe) that does not have "TV time outs". Have you ever attended an NFL, NBA or NHL game and just sat there waiting for the commercials to end? It stinks. Baseball sticks commercials in between innings or if there is a change in pitchers...but there are no TV time outs.

I once hired a guy to work for me who happened to be a part time NHL official for Devils games. His sole job was to make sure the official clock and the tv time out clocks were corrdinated so that a full 60 minutes of hockey was played.

baseball is the only major team sport that isn't on a time clock.

Don't forget volleyball :jester:

and yes, Soccer doesn't have commercial breaks... commercials are only during the halftime break, but not within the 45 minutes halftimes.

On that note, I think the FC Chelsea just doesn't want their top players to play at the WC...

first Ballack, then Essien and now Drogba... all injured

On that note, I think the FC Chelsea just doesn't want their top players to play at the WC...

first Ballack, then Essien and now Drogba... all injured

Can't say I blame them, they'll need to be in top form when we seek our revenge next season in the Premier League (champion by one lousy point.) :P

Though its not great news for Germany and worse for Ghana and Côte d'Ivoire.

Can't say I blame them, they'll need to be in top form when we seek our revenge next season in the Premier League (champion by one lousy point.) :P

Though its not great news for Germany and worse for Ghana and Côte d'Ivoire.

and now Obi Mikel too :shocked: four major Chelsea players...

well, they're not the only ones though...

Rio Ferdinand is out and just from the Germans it's not only Ballack, but four other players (including our #1 goalkeeper) as well...

John Wooden died yesterday at the age of 99. No one had a better coaching streak of 10 chamnpinships in 12 years.

As coach:

*1964 NCAA National Championship

*1965 NCAA National Championship

*1967 NCAA National Championship

*1968 NCAA National Championship

*1969 NCAA National Championship

*1970 NCAA National Championship

*1971 NCAA National Championship

*1972 NCAA National Championship

*1973 NCAA National Championship

*1975 NCAA National Championship

What a great coach. :bow: :bow:

• 2 weeks later...

really? Getting to game 7 of the finals has got to be the 2nd least miserable thing in the NBA. And the Celtics have got to feel good especially considering that most of the paid sports analysts were predicting the Heat would knock them out in the first round...and then they all predicted the Cavs would beat them...and some analysts were even predicting the Magic would sweep them.

But anyways I guess I'm glad the Lakers won. Two teams I don't particularly care for, so by default I rooted for the Western Conference team. Ron Artest was great in the press conference. He sure was excited to go to the club.

Has anyone heard of the Wimbledon match John Isner (USA) vs Nicolas Mahut (France)?

current standing: 6:4, 3:6, 6:7, 7:6, 59:59(!!) :shocked:

current play time: something above 10 hours

they started on Tuesday and played the whole day yesterday (7 hours, 4 minutes), until it was again too dark...

to be continued...

I heard about that this morning. Crazy! Still, it had to (has to) be a good match. Tennis fans must be happy. My dad is a tennis fan and he has taken to watching women's tennis more, because he says men's tennis is more hitting aces back and forth (at 100 + miles an hour) whereas women actually have more volleys, so it's actually more playing.