Random Sports and Sport Talk

PSYCHOcatholic

I don't think it's likely, but I do think it's very possible. Despite being the number one seed, the Lakers have not been so unstoppable near the end of the season here. I think the Lakers are going to win the next game, but after that I honestly think it could go either way.

yesterday I learned that one shouldn't call Manchester United 'ManU' for short (and why)... and that apparently only Germans do that in the first place

As I was told it has to do with the plane crash in the 60s(?), which caused the death of half of their team and some so called "fans" of other teams who made puns about "manure" after that :crazy:

Who's been telling you all this, then? Sounds like he/she is confused, or deliberately trying to misinform you. The first statement ("only Germans refer to them as Man U") is patently untrue. Loads of people, here in the UK and abroad, refer to the Red Menace as "Man U". It is perfectly common, normal practice. We at Leeds regularly sing, thousands in unison, "We hate Man U and we hate Man U, we hate Man U and we hate Man u, we hate Man U and we hate Man U; WE ARE THE MAN U HATERS!!!"

The tendency of rival fans to refer to Man U fans as "Manure" is only recent and has nothing whatsoever to do with the Munich aeroplane crash, (which occurred in 1958, incidentally). It just happens that, since the world and his dog refers to the club as "Man U", it suggests a fairly obvious pun to those who dislike Man U fans. Man U >>> Manure. It's not a giant leap. But it has nothing to do with the Munich plane crash.

Plane crash = 52 years ago

"Manure" nickname = Having been a supporter of one of Man U's fiercest rivals for thirty odd years, I have only noticed its use within the last couple of years. It works much better as a written pun; its increasing popularity results from its use in football fans' Internet forums.

Now, there are fans of other clubs (including Leeds and, most probably, Liverpool) who refer to Man U fans as "Munichs", which is a clear reference to the 1958 plane crash. But such "fans" are only a very small minority, probably comparable in number to those Man U fans who have displayed Turkish flags to gloatingly remind us of the two Leeds fans stabbed to death in Istanbul before our UEFA Cup semi-final match with Galatasaray 10 years ago. So, this "unpleasantness" between fans of rival clubs is not all one-way traffic, you know? You can't reason with these people.

Having said that, I often refer to Man U/their fans as "the Scum". Lately, to the tune of "Blue Moon" we have sung "One-Nil, We beat the Scum One-Nil, We beat the Scum One-Nil", etc. It's just a bit of fun; regard it as a term of affection, I say! I have enjoyed friendships with supporters of Man U. It isn't always easy, but manageable, as long they don't mind being referred to as a "Scum fan", or "Scummer".

As one of those football fans who does use pejorative nicknames for Man U and their fans, I might be open to accusations of bias; you'll just have to decide whether or not you believe me when I assert that there is no link - direct, conceptual or otherwise - between Munich and "Manure".

There is a strong case for citing the Munich crash and its romantic sequel (their recovery, in the 60s, under the mentorship of Munich-survivor Sir Matt Busby, to become the first English club to win the European Champions Cup) as major contributary factors towards the football media's longstanding and nauseatingly sycophantic love affair with Man United. This, in turn, is the source of some resentment from those who don't particularly like the view from up Man U's arsehole. Journalists and commentators frequently refer to "United" as if no other club employed this suffix, (even when they are playing against another "United",) and refer to their stadium as "the Theatre Of Dreams". That's pretty pukesome, even if, like me, you begrudgingly respect the club's achievements.

Continuing the theme of football rivalry / hate-songs; at Leeds, we also habitually sing this ditty, to the tune of "Que Sera Sera":

When I was just a little boy,

I asked my mother, "What should I be?

Should I be Chelsea, should I be Leeds?"

Here's what she said to me...

"Wash your mouth out, son,

And go get your father's gun.

And shoot the Chelsea scum,

Shoot the Chelsea scum"

WE HATE CHELSEA, WE HATE CHELSEA,etc.

All in fun though, you understand? :P

Who's been telling you all this, then? Sounds like he/she is confused, or deliberately trying to misinform you. The first statement ("only Germans refer to them as Man U") is patently untrue. Loads of people, here in the UK and abroad, refer to the Red Menace as "Man U". It is perfectly common, normal practice. We at Leeds regularly sing, thousands in unison, "We hate Man U and we hate Man U, we hate Man U and we hate Man u, we hate Man U and we hate Man U; WE ARE THE MAN U HATERS!!!"

's true, no one can be bothered saying such a long name. Man U is universal codeword. Unless you pronounce it differently or summing in which case you're alone

Who's been telling you all this, then? Sounds like he/she is confused, or deliberately trying to misinform you.

If at all, then the former... I heard that in a non-mainstream tv show, which is VERY low budget, but usually quite high in quality, the guy who's hosting/producing/etc. that (again: usually) really knows what he's talking about...

Maybe I'll send him your reply here as a correction :D ;)

Continuing the theme of football rivalry / hate-songs; at Leeds, we also habitually sing this ditty, to the tune of "Que Sera Sera":

When I was just a little boy,

I asked my mother, "What should I be?

Should I be Chelsea, should I be Leeds?"

Here's what she said to me...

"Wash your mouth out, son,

And go get your father's gun.

And shoot the Chelsea scum,

Shoot the Chelsea scum"

WE HATE CHELSEA, WE HATE CHELSEA,etc.

All in fun though, you understand? :P

Bayern ~ Die Toten Hosen

all in fun :D