Random Sports and Sport Talk

PSYCHOcatholic

how come that semi finals are often much more exciting than the final match?

I find that to be true of the major sports here in the US, too. The NFL Playoffs leading up to the Super Bowl are great while the SB often is not nearly as exciting (not including 2008). Same for NHL, MLB and NBA...IMO.

I just read this today in the paper which is an excerpt from Sports Illustrated's ' Signs of The Apocalypse ' column : A man was was ejected from Yankee Stadium for attempting to leave his seat to use the restroom during the playing of God Bless America .

This would be even before the game starts , right ?! :doh: :stars: :laughing: Anyone else heard this news ?

I just read this today in the paper which is an excerpt from Sports Illustrated's ' Signs of The Apocalypse ' column : A man was was ejected from Yankee Stadium for attempting to leave his seat to use the restroom during the playing of God Bless America .

This would be even before the game starts , right ?! :doh: :stars: :laughing: Anyone else heard this news ?

The 7th inning stretch used to be fun

they would play/sing "take me out to the ballgame"

but in the last few years they've started playing God Bless America

Well, next time maybe he'll just p*ss right there in his seat. That'll learn 'em! After all, we Red Sox fans do refer to Yankee Stadium as "The Toilet".

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester:

Broncos, Hochuli Manage to Get Eight in the Most Ridiculous Fashion and Beat Chargers

Posted Sep 14th 2008 7:50PM by Will Brinson (author feed)

Filed under: Broncos, Chargers, NFL Coaching, NFL Media Watch, NFL Referees

Holy Moses. I'm not one to get really upset about my Philip Rivers homerism. I mean, I root for the Chargers. And I like it when they win. But I'm not going to scream obscenities and throw my remote simply because they lose.

Unless of course, Ed Hochuli decides to, in one fell swoop, shatter my afternoon wager, my fantasy team and my boy Phil. Actually, I take that back. It was two fell swoops.

The Broncos take a big gamble and rookie Eddie Royal comes up even bigger. Right after catching a TD to bring Denver within one, Royal beats Chargers safety Clinton Hart and hauls in a game-winning 2-point conversion with 29 seconds left.

First, there was the Champ Bailey "strip" which did not get overturned ... because Denver's replay technology stopped working. Hey, that's convenient! But whatever, let's move on.

To the second problem, where Jay Cutler oh-so-clearly fumbled the ball on second and goal with less than two minutes remaining. Instead of doing the sensible thing and letting the play finish on it's own accord, Hochuli got loose with his whistle and blew it dead for an incomplete pass. This is ridiculous because, as noted by the giant bold letters above, there are less than two minutes left; if it's incomplete, the replay will show that. If not, don't blow the whistle, so that way no one gets burnt.

He did anyway, and the Chargers got torched as Denver got another shot for third down (a draw play!) and fourth down (touchdown Eddie Royal!). Then, Master of Evil Mike Shanahan thought, "Hey, we're at home with a chance to tie it! Why not go for two?!?"

Naturally, one Broncos 2-point conversion later, the Chargers were beyond reeling and trying to deal with a one-point deficit, 26 seconds on the clock and no timeouts. You can imagine how that played out.

Now, there are plenty of reasons other than Hoch's horrible officiating for why the Chargers lost. Like Antonio Cromartie, who apparently does not know what his job description entails (Hint: Don't let Brandon Marshall tie the NFL record for second-most receptions in a single game.) Also, LaDainian Tomlinson's toe was acting up and he was completely ineffective.

But it just stinks -- much like the BYU-Washington game in college last week -- to see the outcome of a game solely decided because a referee simply couldn't keep his whistle in his pants.

It also makes the Chargers the best 0-2 team in the NFL (move over, Jaguars!) and gives the Broncos a ridiculous cushion to start the season in the AFC West. All that being said, yeah, needles appear to have the same effect on Cutler as they do on Jose Canseco so at the very least, there should be some excitement in this division until the end of the season.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I believe if not this year than next year, we can start talking about Alabama being SEC and National Champs!

NFL-Cowboys are going to the superbowl!! I have been waiting for a long time, even though im a patriots fan and they beat the jets yesterday. Ive always liked the Cowboys. We wont talk about Tom Brady, its too depressing.

MLB Tampa Bay has a great team this season, and The Angels seem to be doing awesome as well. Red Sox lost Ramirez, but it looks like Jason Bay was a good choice.