A Medieval Sound....

janetlee

I heard a song in a restaurant a few days ago and couldn't hear any of the words, but I'd heard the tune before. Even if you could hear me, I couldn't hum the tune for you cuz I'm drawing a complete blank!! So all I can say is that it had a medieval type sound to it. When I say medieval, I mean sort of like the sound of Stairway To Heaven and Scarboro Faire. Since the odds of me hearing the song for a while are slight, I thought I'd ask you to name off some songs that you feel could fit into this category. I do know it was a male singer or band. The 3 groups that popped into my mind were The Who, Pink Floyd, or Led Zeppelin. However, I'm not saying it was any of these for sure. If it should happen that no one actually names the song I'm searching for, perhaps I'll still find some "undiscovered" gems by looking up your suggestions! I plan to use the Amazon song sampler to test the tunes you suggest. Thanks so much for any help!

janet

Check out songs by Fairport Convention, Steel Eye Span, Pentangle or Rennaisance to name a few.

Wonderful suggestions, Joe!! :bow: :bow:

Hark! The Village Wait is my favourite Steeleye Span record and I have almost all the early Fairport Convention material. I'll have to check out Pentangle and Rennaisance.

I just heard for the first time, believe it or not, Traffic's "John Barleycorn." It sounded rather renaissance/medieval(?) to me. Worth giving a listen, anyway.

It also strikes me that Jethro Tull could be a possibility, as a lot of their stuff is heavily flute-laden.

My first thought was perhaps something by Sting . He's into that sort of sound , at times , and his lyrics can become rather muted when his mellower tunes are played softly - but his voice is still pretty recognizable . So , I'll take a shot and suggest maybe " Lady Jane " by The Rolling Stones ? :

It has a vocalist of the era of the groups you mentioned and a courtly , medieval ( Tudor/ Elizabethan perhaps more accurately ) sound - and not one most would quickly identify as a Stones song if you hadn't heard it before or often . I have heard instumental versions of it ( or what I believed was it ) also , in restaurants and such before ... Good luck !

Why has nobody mentioned "The Battle Of Evermore" by Led Zeppelin? Or perhaps "Going To California" from the same album?

mmmm... in my case, that would be because... I'm not a Led Zeppelin fan, really, and I can't even pull to mind what "The Battle of Evermore" sounds like...

I have actually probably heard every song Led Zeppelin ever recorded. They were huge in my day and everybody who ever had a party played their music. My brother had all their albums back in the days of vinyl.

I know "The Battle of Evermore." I know all Zep's songs somewhere in the darkness of my memory. I just haven't heard it in so long I can't pull it to mind.

• 3 months later...