Best "Made for TV" movies

Mike

Isn't Duel from a short story written for Playboy Magazine by Roald Dahl?

Roald Dahl's stories are terrific as well, but Richard Matheson is responsible for Duel . His novelette did appear in Playboy. Among the countless other projects he's had a hand in are The Incredible Shrinking Man , many classic Twilight Zone episodes (including Nightmare at 20,000 Feet ) and the original Night Stalker and Night Strangler TV movies on which the Kolchak series was based.

"Then you never saw the loopy's dance?"

I found this sample story by Richard Matheson.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

from the early 70's, i think.. sunshine break out a new box of kleenex & alot of gatorade, cuz the tears start in the first few minutes, and last past the movie... if i remember correctly. take care, L&P

From which we received the song, "Sunshine On My Shoulder". I remember it all too well. Chic-flick tearjerker.

THE BOY IN THE PLASTIC BUBBLE

Or... "a sweat-hog in a zip-lock­® bag"

:laughing:

But seriously folks, this was an amazing film for it's time. Or wait, I'm mixing up my adjectives again, it was total crap. But wait, it gets 5.5/10 at the mighty IMDB. :smirk:

John Travolta, what can I say? He actually got film offers AFTER he performed in this. Did any of the studio execs ACTUALLY WATCH this or did they just jump because John landed a leading role? I only liked it because there is some knarly babes in it. Oh, and Mike Brady, only he's not Mike Brady here. Oh, oscar clips gallore! Yep. Ok, I've written way WAY more than this film deserves, having trouble getting to sleep, here's your cure.

• 2 years later...

I would have to recommend "The Dark Secret of Harvest Home" with Betty Davis, "The Awakening Land" with Elizabeth Montgomery, "Summer of Fear" with Linda Blair, director Wes Craven, "Midnight Offerings" with Melissa Sue Anderson, "I've Been Waiting For You" and "Seduced by Madness: The Diane Borchardt Story", both were Lifetime movies I believe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Most favorite at the top. A lot of boomer teen chick pop. Junk food that takes U back.

1. Go Ask Alice (includes William Shatner as a dad and Andy Griffith as a priest)

2. Maybe I'll Come Home in the Spring (includes Sally Field and David Carradine as hippies)

3. Tribes (Jan Michael Vincent and Darren McGavin)

4. Sybil (Joanne Woodward and Sally Field)

5. Death Takes a Holiday (Myrna Loy, Monte Markham and Yviette Mimieux)

6. Duel (Dennis Weaver; Steven Spielberg)

7. Who is the Black Dahlia? (Lucie Arnaz, a very young Brooke Adams, and many other familiar faces)

8. The Legend of Lizzie Borden (Elizabeth Montgomery)

9. The Best Little Girl in the World (Jennifer Jason Leigh, Eva Marie Saint, Charles Durning)

Edited by Guest

I don't think I've ever watched a made for tv movie, at least not since the 80's. Do they still have those?

Sure. They are the high points of certain cable channels.

SyFy (Mega Python vs. Gatoroid, Sharks in Venice, Mansquito)

Disney Channel (High School Musical + sequels)

Lifetime & Lifetime Movie Network (A Face To Kill For, She's Too Young, Amish Grace)