Bonnie Raitt

CanAm

My wife and I saw Bonnie Raitt in concert last night and were absolutely blown away! She is such a dynamic performer. She began the show with some great songs off her new album Souls Alike. She really got the audience going though, when she began to play some of her better known tunes like Louise, Women Be Wise, Nick Of Time, Have A Heart and Something To Talk About.

At 57, she is a very atrractive, vivacious woman whose voice has only become better with age. And boy, can she play slide guitar. Her band beautifully complemented Raitt's stellar playing.

Bonnie Raitt is,without doubt, one of my favourite performers. She is intelligent, articulate and has a great sense of humour. For those of us fortunate to see her perform last night, it felt like we were in the living room of an old friend, listening to her joke with her band members and with us.

Almost all the proceeds from last night's show went to the Pembina Institute, an organization dedicated to developing sustainable energy technology and reducing our dependence on fossil fuels while preserving our environment.

Unlike celebrities like Bono, who never miss an opportunity to get their faces in front of a camera, most of Raitt's charity work is done without much fanfare. She has helped raise money for the victims of Hurricane Katrina and created a fund to compensate many black blues players who were never properly remunerated for their songs recorded in the 60's and 70's by white blues bands. Many of these bluesmen are in their 70's and 80's and living a hand to mouth existence.

All in all, last night's performance was one of the best live shows I've ever seen. She is one classy lady.

The opening act was Maia Sharp, a very talented singer/songwriter from L.A. whose songs have been recorded by Raitt, The Dixie Chicks and Carole King among others.

She is a multi-talented lady who plays guitar, keyboards and a mean baritone sax. She and her bass player performed six of her own compositions and she performed several songs on stage with Bonnie Raitt. I think I'll have to check out some of her CD's.

• 4 weeks later...