Techno Band Top Ten?

RubberSoul

Wow, how much things can change in a week. Every board has five new pages of posts and the Zeppelin people have gone techno.

1) Depeche Mode

2) BT (Brian Transeau)

3) Crystal Method

4) New Order

5) Erasure

6) Happy Mondays

7) The Ocean Blue

8) Bronski Beat

9) Thomas Dolby

10) Moby

I could have listed a lot more that I like. Techno can include so many things. Like techno was 'alternative' when 'alternative' simply meant an alternative to hard rock and disco. I'm not even sure if everything I listed should be included. I would say it feels good to be back at work but why start getting reaquainted with a lie.

I didn't know Depeche Mode & New Order counted, otherwise I would've picked them, to me they're both great bands, but I've always classified them under more Alternative-rooted, seeing as how they didn't completely electronicize their music.

I didn't know Depeche Mode & New Order counted, otherwise I would've picked them, to me they're both great bands, but I've always classified them under more Alternative-rooted, seeing as how they didn't completely electronicize their music.

It's so difficult to classify music. There was a post about 'best in each genre'. One of the categories was 'Arena Rock'. I listed Depeche Mode simply because they once sold out the Rose Bowl for three straight nights. Over 300,000 saw their show in a three day period and somehow filling a stadium should be a criteria for 'Arena Rock' even though I knew that wasn't the exact sound the genre was calling for.

One of the categories was 'Arena Rock'. I listed Depeche Mode simply because they once sold out the Rose Bowl for three straight nights. Over 300,000 saw their show in a three day period and somehow filling a stadium should be a criteria for 'Arena Rock' even though I knew that wasn't the exact sound the genre was calling for.

I saw them live just over a year ago; they put up a pretty amazing show. His cavernous vocals still have that peculiar & calming (at the same time) sense to them. I could see how they could be labeled as Arena Rock just based on the immense show.

• 2 months later...

That's because they're not Techno bands. A lot of the bands listed here aren't Techno at all, they just have synths, which does not a Techno band make...

Mine are:

1. Daft Punk

2. Underworld

3. Aphex Twin

4. The Chemical Brothers

5. 808 State

6. Plastikman

7. Cylob

8. "mu"-ziq

9. Polygon Window

That's all I can think of now...

Wow - alot of those I wouldn't consider as "techno" at all...now I am confused! I believed techno to be in the vein of 2Unlimited and SNAP. Hmmm.....well, based on the lists above here's mine:

Aphex Twin

Prodigy

Daft Punk

Air

Chemical Brothers

Underworld

Moby - I didn't realise he was "techno"......

Groove Armada

Juno Reactor

Benny Benassi

Fragma

Royksopp

Leftfield

Kosheen

....I feel a bit guilty listing these, as I truly would not call any of them Techno..... ::

I'm actually a really big fan of dance music. I listen to loads from DJ compilations like Dark Globe which is hard D&B and Lock and Load, to club anthems on stuff like Ministry Of Sound and Cream albums. Nothing like a good dance set to keep you dancing all night long :headphones: