The Horizon Broadening Thread

Batman

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't you ever hear this song as a child?

"Make new friends, and keep the old

one is silver and the other gold"

Here's some suggestions for OSTTOS, who said he (she?) wanted some pop suggestions. I'll stick with some from the current decade, so Jane, you can check these when you're done with my other links (which are a lot better, in my opinion).

CSS

The is one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard, and the music video is flat out awesome.

Let's Make Love and Listen to Death from Above

The Shins

Really easy to listen to folk pop. Plus they're catchy.

Caring is Creepy (it's a video blog, which I don't like, but the good music starts at 0:50)

New Slang

The Postal Service

The Postal Service is a very good electro-pop group. They've got a retro approach and they can get a little too sugary and sappy at times, but sometimes they sound perfect.

Such Great Heights

Belle and Sebastian

These guys are often a quiet symphonic folk group, as seen in "Dear Catastrophe Waitress"

Dear Catastrophe Waitress (I haven't watched the whole video, but the song is great)

Sometimes they are a rollicking, freewheeling band reminiscent of the sounds of the 60's.

Sukie in the Graveyard

Death Cab for Cutie

The Postal Service is actually the side-project of the lead singer for Death Cab. I can only take so much Death Cab at once, but when I like them, they're fantastic. Really easy to listen to indie pop.

Crooked Teeth

Sound of Settling

Weezer

So they were best in the 90's, and you've probably already heard of them, but they're quite possibly my favorite pop group, so I had to put them here.

Buddy Holly

Elton John

Scratch that, Elton is my favorite pop artist.

no video is necessary

Katie...they are a cool southern rock group. Pick up the Champagne Jam album, it has a little blues feel to it. That is my fav album of theirs, I played it over and over when I was a teen. I loved pretty much every tune. Imaginary Lover is from this, also another hit for them, I'm Not Gonna Let It Bother Me Tonight. They had a laid back southern sound, not so rockin' like Skynyrd, but still some good tunes.

Thanks for the country suggestions, everyone. I have heard Rascal Flatts' "Life is A Highway" and "What Hurts The Most" (I think that's the name). I'll have to check them out.

I have also heard a Keith Urban song (the name escapes me), some Dixie Chicks, and I have heard of Montgomery Gentry. I'll have to check them out.

I've heard a lot about Big & Rich...are they worth checking out?

I'm going to get some Shins stuff, too...and I like "Seven Nation Army" and "Ball and Biscuit"...I just can't take Jack White's voice for too long.

Edited by Guest

I've heard a lot about Big & Rich...are they worth checking out?

I'm familiar with only two of their songs: "Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy," which has the humor to save it from being completely awful, and "Holy Water," which redeems them in my eyes. It's a beautifully tragic song.

As for Folk, Shawna you've already sampled some Dylan. Try some Joan Baez or Phil Ochs to get more of a feel from that era. Or you can go back to the days of Pete Seeger, Woodie Guthrie for the earlier days of American Folk. Then there's the 60's/70's Folk Rock of The Byrds, CSN&Y, etc.

Don't overlook English Folk like Fairport Convention, Steel Eye Span or Rennaissance to name a few.

Be sure you don't miss The Incredible String Band and Lindisfarne!

I'm the last person to come to for advice about folk music.

I bought my first folk record in 1985, (The Pogues "Rum Sodomy And The Lash") and waited till last week to buy my second: June Tabor "Anthology". In many ways, these two albums could scarcely be more different.

The Pogues: rough, rowdy and rabble-rousing folk, McGowan slurring his drunken poetry over an accomplished band of roistering troubadors

June Tabor: gentle, beautiful, haunting, evocative, perfectly enunciated, and for the most part, with subtle or minimal musical accompaniment.

Coincidentally, despite these contrasts, both albums feature cover versions of Eric Bogle's "And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda". The Pogues' version of this was already one of those very few songs capable of moving me to the edge of tears. :(

I'd like to listen to more stuff by Atlanta Rhythm Section - I've heard two songs by them, 'So Into You' and 'Imaginary Lover'. Any recommendations?

I have almost everything they ever released. IMO, they are a greatly underrated band. Essentially, they were a group of studio musicians brought together in the early 70's to try and capitalize on the success of southern rock as pioneered by The Allman Brothers and carried on by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Sylistically, however, they had more in common with the Eagles or early Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac than they did with The Allmans or Lynyrd Skynyrd. Many of their songs have heavy jazz overtones.

If you want a good introduction to their music, you can't go wrong with their greatest hits package. In terms of their albums, I like A Rock And Roll Alternative which contains their first big hit, So Into You. Champagne Jam, Underdog & The Boys From Doraville are also excellent albums.

Although the group is still recording and touring, Ronnie Hammond, the lead singer from their heyday, is no longer performing with them.

Batman, you are waaaay wise beyond your years.

I don't know much about folk music, although what I have heard I have really liked. Can anyone recomend any particular folk artists I should give a listen to?

Shawna, another avenue of folk music is called Old-Timey or traditional . Films like Songcatcher,

O Brother, Where Art Thou? and Deliverance.

Artists like Doc Watson, Norman Blake, Tony Rice. Jerry Garcia constantly played these type of songs when he toured as a solo act away from the Grateful Dead. Check out his Pizza tapes album.

This is really insane... no wonder I always thought I'd like folk music - I do! I just never knew it was folk I was listening to. :doh: Thanks so much for all the suggestions - I am keeping a list and will be trying them on for size at some point in the near future.