Movies about Music

Ken

Here are a couple of clips from some movies I have loved.

That Thing You Do! Totally loved this movie, and the music was awesome...

This was all I could find on Eddie and the Cruisers another film that has stayed with me through the years.

Sorry. But this is the greatest Godda**ed movie ever committed to celluloid. Ladies and gentlemen, The Blues Brothers I have included the mall chase because it is the funniest thing I have ever seen. At 42 years old, I have seen this film well in excess of 300X. No one watches it with me because I can recite it as it plays.

I couldn't find a video for the Tina Turner bio-pic "What's Love Got To Do With It?", but Angela Bassett did an awesome job as Tina. The music in the film was stellar.

It's an old movie, but good enough that I replaced my VHS copy with a DVD copy. If you've not seen LaBamba it is a pretty great way to kill a rainy Saturday Afternoon .

Dennis Quaid did a pretty good job portraying Jerry Lee Lewis in Great Balls of Fire!

Strip all the hype away, and this is still an awesome film. Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles.

This film is a brilliant study of one of Rock's most intelligent bands, Ladies and Gentlemen, This, is Spinal Tap.

Some favourites:

- Jean-Jacques Beineix's Diva (in regards to bootlegged tapes of Opera music)

- Slava Tsukerman's Liquid Sky (New Wave music)

- Lloyd Kaufmann's Rock 'N Roll High School (musical with The Ramones at the centre)

- Brian DePalma's Phantom Of The Paradise (a revamped take on Leroux's Phantom Of The Opera)

Some of my favourites are:

1. The Commitments - A great soundtrack.

2. Saturday Night Fever - Gasp!! Another great soundtrack.

3. The Rutles

4. Walk The Line

5. Jailhouse Rock

6. Sid And Nancy - even though I hated the music of the Sex Pistols, this was a very interesting movie about the relationship between Sid Vicious and his girlfriend Nancy Spungen.

One of my favourite movies is American Grafitti. While it may not have been specifically about a musician or musicians, music was an important part of the plot. A fabulous soundtrack to boot.