The Best (and worse) Canadian Musicians

Ken

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'Hip are HUGE here. I'm not that much of a fan, "New Orleans Is Sinking" is a good tune (although hard to listen to post-Katrina). The Tragically Hip have a following here similar in structure to the Grateful Dead.

I've never cared for Springsteen. Or Brian Adams for that matter. Maybe a couple tune by Adams, but Bruce has always been over-rated IMHO.

I never even considered where bands originated until maybe 10-15 years ago. I figured the accent gave them away. But "country of origin loyalty" seems odd to me. If it sounds good, I play it, if it sounds like crap... I don't, no matter where they come from.

But I do think some places of origin cause a musician/artist strive harder, therefore produce better material than some others.

American pop is the bottom of the barrel now days.

Are these names familiar to you?:

Alan Doyle, Sean McCann, Bob Hallett, Murray Foster, Kris MacFarlane. No? Oh well, they're from Newfoundland, which is far Eastern Canada. I guess it's true, Newfies like "Great Big Sea" aren't hip enough for urban Canada? :stars:

I suppose we could offer GBS citizenship in the U.S. and residency in Boston, MA where they can play alongside the Dropkick Murphy's at the next St. Patrick's Day parade? :guitar:

Yes, GBS got soul. :afro:

Are these names familiar to you?:

Alan Doyle, Sean McCann, Bob Hallett, Murray Foster, Kris MacFarlane. No? Oh well, they're from Newfoundland, which is far Eastern Canada. I guess it's true, Newfies like "Great Big Sea" aren't hip enough for urban Canada? :stars:

I suppose we could offer GBS citizenship in the U.S. and residency in Boston, MA where they can play alongside the Dropkick Murphy's at the next St. Patrick's Day parade? :guitar:

Yes, GBS got soul. :afro:

Yeah, I know about Great Big Sea. I'm a fan of a few tunes, but not all of their music. :rolleyes:

Jeff Burrow's parents live up the street from me. No, seriously. Jeff Burrow's parents are annoying about their son, Jeff Burrows.

HAHAHAHA If you look up the word "pompous" on wikipedia, it just takes you straight to Jeff Burrows' page.

Me and my friends used to prank call him all the times and request songs that didn't exist and he'd always get really pissed and yell at us.