The Best (and worse) Canadian Musicians

Ken

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a modestly avid fan of Tal Bachman (son of) whose debut album is stuffed full of great toons....well worth a check-out. I have wonderfull memories of trying to undo my first brassierre whilst his father's band churned out their 70's hits...now I enjoy his tunes in a less charged atmosphere....!

:)

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Maybe you Ken, can shed some light on why I have overheard more Canadians, than not, dissin' on Brian Adams?

I always thought he was ok, I mean if people could go so ga-ga over Bruce Springsteen, why not Brian Adams. I don't get it.

Probably because he chose to leave Canada and live in L.A. Not saying that is good nor bad, I'm not really a fan of his, but that is the general mood toward him. Rush are proud of Toronto and let everyone know it, Anne Murray has long been a resident of Springhill, N.S., people know it, Lightfoot has done plenty of songs about Canada and is proud of his Orillia roots, the Barenaked Ladies are intrinsically Canadian, mentioning all types of Canadian landmarks (the Danforth in "Old Apartment) and Canadiana (Kraft Dinner). Adams seems to make an effort to shed his Canadian roots. Which is fine, to each his own...

I was just about to mention Glass Tiger. I might be wrong about this, but I think our radio stations have to play a certain percentage of Canadian songs. There was a time when you could not escape Glass Tiger's Don't Forget Me, or Gino Vanelli's Black Cars (even though they made these "hits" over 20 years ago).

Johnny; if your parents allowed you to wear a brassiere, the least they could have done was to teach you how to manage the fastenings.

Personally, my first bra didn't garner such wonderful memories, but geez, I'm glad the situation provided you with such pleasant ones! :laughing:

Maybe you Ken, can shed some light on why I have overheard more Canadians, than not, dissin' on Brian Adams?

I always thought he was ok, I mean if people could go so ga-ga over Bruce Springsteen, why not Brian Adams. I don't get it.

Bryan Adams is not even close to Springsteen! By no means as a singer or songwriter. Bryan seemed a bit more pop oriented. I hear him on lite-rock stations quite often. The only song of his I will listen to is the Summer of '69. Other than that, I turn the dial. What was that lame song he did for that terrible Johnny Depp movie with Marlon Brando? Can't remember the name of either, very forgettable.