The Songfactors' Choice Ultimate Top Ten

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys I'm getting confused between the Ultimate list and the regular list. I miss the board a few days and I get "cornfused".

I will try to keep everything straight now. I had open house last night at my high school and my wife had an outpatient procedure done so I am a little behind.

Here goes my list. Man I left off some good music.

1. Sounds of Silence. Kind of my anthem in 1967.

2. Paint It Black" My favorite Stones hit. Used as musical score to a "Tour Of Duty" tv series. I thought that show was well done about Viet Nam. Unfortunately the critics didn't like it. I think it perhaps came a little too soon after the US involvement in Indochina and many Americans were not ready for a show about the Viet Nam war.

3. California Dreamin. The signature song for the Mamma and Pappas in my book.

4. Bridge Over Troubled Water. Another S and G hit. One of the best rock songs ever in my book.

5. Imagine. When they played this song at the end of the movie "The Killing Fields" I cried.

6. House Of The Rising Sun. Powerful song by one of the "Bad" boys bands of the 60's

7. Suspicous Minds. The "King" Probably my second favorite by the King. I sandwich it between Kentuck Rain and Burnin Love.

8. God Only Knows. I love this song. It is simply beuatiful. It seems to me one time I heard Brian Wilson wrote this for his father Muarry. If so this would be some irony, becasue Muarry would often use force to punish Brian.

9. Run Away. This song was too used on a tv. series where Stacy Keach was a private investigator. I can't remember the name of the show. Someone help me out here. Hey a little help OLD 55.

10. White Room. A great tune from the Psychedelic era.

rtstuff

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good, Oh Lord please don't let me be missunderstood." The Animals.

RT ; were you thinking of ' Mike Hammer , P.I. " ?

1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps : Sweet , sad , loving and gentle . Harrison adds " Don't forget George " to any Beatle discussions .

2. Angie : Makes one sentimental for past loves and relationships

3. Subterranean Homesick Blues : The Best of Bob . A 'punk ' song before its time ?

4. California Dreamin ' : One of the few melodies I actually enjoy on a muzak ! Great to hum along to .

5. Gimme Shelter : Such a cool protest song . Simple, yet profound lyrics . " Love ...sister, it's just a kiss away ! "

6. Georgia On My Mind : We're all wistful for Georgia when this one is delivered well .

7. House Of The Rising Sun : That organ - damn near operatic , in a ' Phantom ' kind-of way ! Oh , such lovely angst !

8. Suspicious Minds : When Elvis was 'on ' , there were few better singers to hit you hard .

9. In My Life : I thought the Beatles were true geniuses when they could come out with such a sentimental song at a time when one wouldn't expect as much from such progressive , ' world-by-the-tail ' , young men .

10. Wish You Were Here : always surprised that I haven't yet heard this as a song used in a movie yet ... must be some legal problems .

... and , as noted above , this is today's picks .

1] Ain't Too Proud to Beg - The Temptations (1966)

2] While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles (1968)

3] Respect - Aretha Franklin (1967)

4] Georgia On My Mind - Ray Charles (1960)

5] Imagine - John Lennon Plastic Ono Band (1971)

6] (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - Otis Redding (1968)

7] I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye (1967)

8] My Sharona - The Knack (1979)

9] Sympathy For The Devil - The Rolling Stones (1968)

10] Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd (1975)

1. Gimme Shelter - Stones

2. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye

3. Like A Rolling Stone - Dylan

4. Imagine - Lennon

5. Layla - Derek & The Dominoes

6. God Only Knows

7. Wish You Were Here - Floyd

8. Respect - Aretha

9. Bridge Over Troubled Water - S&G

10. White Room - Cream

Sorry guys, but unless it was used in Mike Hammer also (?) - I haven't seen that - you're thinking of the late 80s Crime Story with Dennis Farina as Police Lieutenant Mike Torello trying to bring down Ray Luca, the evil mobster. I've seen every episode, borrowed from the (then) video library.

Great show. I loved it, as I also did Tour Of Duty. Seen every episode of that too ! I always looked forward to Paint It Black kicking off each show.

A short version of Runaway with lyrics modified to suit the show was used as the theme song of Crime Story. I thought that was going to be Del's comeback, but he couldn't kick his problems, poor guy.

:P

I just did it quick, like pulling off a band-aid, so the pain would be less:

1. I Heard it Through the Grapevine - Marvin Gaye

2. Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison

3. Ain't Too Proud to Beg - The Temptations

4. (Sittin on The) Dock of The Bay - Otis Redding

5. Space Oddity - David Bowie

6. Imagine - John Lennon

7. Hush - Deep Purple

8. God Only Knows - The Beach Boys

9. Georgia on My Mind - Ray Charles

10. Alive - Pearl Jam

1. Runaway - Del Shannon

2. Paint It, Black - The Rolling Stones

3. Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon & Garfunkel

4. Day Tripper - The Beatles

5. Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys

6. Imagine - John Lennon

7. Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan

8. Suspicious Minds - Elvis Presley

9.(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - Otis Redding

10.I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye

Yes. :blush: 23 Voters so far - still a few to go. !!!

So if you haven't, but intend to, please....

vote-now.jpg

It would be good to get the ULTIMATE TOP TEN finalised, because I'm sure we're all very curious to see which songs make it.

Also, some of you may remember that we were talking of having a Halloween Special Top Ten which I think would be fun.

:)

Also, some of you may remember that we were talking of having a Halloween Special Top Ten which I think would be fun.

sounds interesting, but if you don't mind me asking, what would that be including?

only songs about ghosts and vampires, or maybe just music by the Smashing Pumpkins and Ozzy Osborne?

:jester:

1. Layla - Derek & The Dominos

2. Angie - The Rolling Stones

3. Kashmir - Led Zeppelin

4. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye

5. White Room - Cream

6. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles

7. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix

8. Break On Through - The Doors

9. Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones

10. Highway Star - Deep Purple

Unbelievably hard to choose. I am absolutely certain about my number one, but I could have chosen nearly every song off that list for 2 through 10 :stars:

Sorry Farin, I should have PTd you first. This was mentioned a couple of months ago (at least) when we were talking about "Special Top Tens". I think it was around about the time we had Phil's "Worst Songs" Top Ten.

Good question !!!

What is a Halloween Song ?

Here's an example of my thinking using two Elvis songs :

(You're The Devil) In Disguise (Yes, could be a Halloween costume.)

Good Luck Charm (Not really; would have been great for a Friday 13th one if we'd had time to do it last week, but it probably could sneak in).

Any more thoughts from out there, Top Tenners ?

Of course, if we can't get the Ultimate Top Ten finished in time it won't be a goer. I put off voting for that because I thought it would be so hard, but I found it wasn't really that much different to voting in a regular Top Ten.

Here's the track listing from a Halloween CD I made a few years ago. About half of the listings are sound bites/effects. Many of the songs are old doo wop Halloween songs and many of the others you will recognize.

1 SIX FEET UNDER THEME (Thomas Newman)

2 DINNER WITH DRAC (John Zacherle/Roland)

3. Muhahaha

4 MONSTER MASH (Bobby Boris Pickett)

5. It's Alive 6. FRANKENSTEIN'S DEN (The Hollywood Flames)

7. MUMMIES' BALL (The Verdicts)

8. A Real Scream 9. SCREAMIN' AT DRACULA'S BALL (The Duponts)

10. Beetlejuice 11. Hands 12. FRANKENSTEIN'S PARTY (The Swingin' Phillies)

13. THOUGHTS ON TRICK'R TREATING (Jimmy Fallon/SNL)

14. THIS IS HALLOWEEN (Nightmare Before Christmas)

15. DEAD (The Poets)

16. HEADLESS GHOST (The Nightmares)

17. THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW (The Monotones)

18. THE VOODOO MAN (The Del Vikings)

19. BRING OUT YOUR DEAD (Monty Python)

20. DEAD MAN'S STROLL (The Revels)

21. THE ZOMBIE WALK (The Magics)

22. ZOMBIE JAMBOREE (Rockapella)

23. THE SINISTER STOMP (Bobby Boris Pickett) 24. Shrieking cat25. HAUNTED HOUSE (Jumpin' Gene Simmons) 26. Uncle Fester

27. PEEK-A-BOO (The Cadillacs) 28. Peek-A-Boo

29. PSYCHO KILLER (Talking Heads) 30. Dorothy

31. MONSTER CHILLER HORROR THEATER (SCTV)

32. Stooged 33. HAL

34. HORROR PICTURES (The Calvanes)

35. Twilight Zone 36. Rod Serling

37. Wolf Howl

38. WEREWOLVES OF LONDON (Warren Zevon)

39. HAL again 40. Close Encounters 41. ET calling 42. Klatuu Berada Nickto

43. They're here 44. Dorothy

45. SWEET TRANSVESTITE (Rocky Horror Picture Show/Tim Curry) 46. Dorothy

47. PEOPLE ARE STRANGE (The Doors) 48. Dorothy 49. THE SHADOW KNOWS (Radio)

50.Shiver 51. Scream and run 52. Screaming & running 53.Toto's Scared 54. S.O.W.

55. TAM LIN (Fairport Convention)

56. Good Witch? 57. Cackle

58. HOW DO YOU TELL A WITCH (Monty Python)

59. Melting witch 60. DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD (Wizard Of Oz Cast)

61. No place like home 62. The end

That's really good Joe. :thumbsup:

I don't know all of them, but that was the sort of thing I had in mind.

Thanks Farin, but I didn't really mean songs like Sympathy For The Devil, etc.

In fact I don't reckon I thought it through properly, and it would be open to so many different interpretations that I think we would be creating a "monster" and should just let it drop now.

:P

Hey OLD 55 you are right about Crime Story. I remember that now. By the way Denis Farina was hillarious in the movie "Another Stakeout" with Richard Dreyfus and Emilio Estavez. The scene where he is eating that icecream desert at the dinner table and gets a brain freeze with Rosie O'Donnell looking on is a gut buster.

Every time I see that scene I just howl.

rtstuff

By the way Denis Farina was hillarious in the movie "Another Stakeout" with Richard Dreyfus and Emilio Estavez.

I missed that rt! I'll get it from the Video/DVD Library. I saw the first one. Dennis Farina has always been one of my favorite actors. Until he was in Crime Story I could never put a name to the face though. It was a great series. He was fanatical about getting the 'baddie'.

Sorry to keep y'all waiting! Between work and class I've been stressed!!

1. Paint It, Black - The Rolling Stones

2. In My Life - The Beatles

3. Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan

4. My Generation - The Who

5. Black Dog - Led Zeppelin

6. Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys

7. Ain't To Proud To Beg - The Temptations

8. Hush - Deep Purple

9. Space Oddity - David Bowie

10. Sounds Of Silence, The - Simon & Garfunkel