It struck me as funny....

RonJonSurfer

Since many of the poor saps reading this are far away , feeling hungry imaging it , and unlikely to get to Philadelphia anytime soon ( I can feel your relief ), would you be so kind as to give us a rough recipe as how to make one in the meantime ? Personally , and I realize this is a burden , I'd prefer the directions come from Mrs. Joe , as she seems to be the expert , afterall . Tanks !

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get steak, good steak, and slice it thin, then cook until it's done. You can also buy pre-sliced steak in some stores. Some people use provolone for cheese and melt it on top, but I find it better if you put provolone on the sides of the roll (a sub/hoagie roll) and then melt/heat Cheese Wiz and put it on top. I am also a firm believer in onions, which you cook on a griddle or in a pan until they're done, and then give yourself a generous helping. Sorry that I don't know the cooking times, but that's mostly all that is involved. Perhaps Joe, being from the Cheesesteak Capital of the World, could add some more advice, and then tell me what I do wrong.

TO's recipe is fine, though I've never done the provolone thing. You need a very hot grill (or pan). Fry some cherry peppers in with the onions. You can sautee the onions til translucent or fry 'em to a crispy dark brown...however you prefer.

Then fry your steak. As TO said, most stores sell pre-sliced steak (usually top of the round). Unlike the onions and peppers you must be careful not to overcook the thin steak. Generally, as soon as the meat's outer red color is gone the steak is done.

As for the cheese, both Pat's and Gino's use Cheese Wiz. I prefer plain old Aamerican or cheddar.

The bread is molto importante. Some people like a soft, long hoagie or steak roll while I and most folks I know prefer a crispy, Italian steak roll or loaf of bread cut in two. Add ketchup to your liking.

French fries go great with a cheesesteak. Beer is my beverage of choice. Iced tea is a good non-alcoholic accompaniment if you prefer.

For a special treat try a Riz Steak Roll. Add sliced-open eggrolls to your sandwich. Spring rolls are a fair substitute. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Mangia, mangia!

Tanks , Joe ! That is on the menu at Chez Kevin's tomorrow night !

Any bets on what RJ is doing right now since the Mets fell - again ? The odds :

1. Russian roulette : 2:1

2. Replaying game 6 : 3:1

3. 'Taking it out' on the wife ( in a nice way :googly: ): 4:1

4. Drowning his sorrows : 1.5:1

5. Laying a bet on the Tigers : 3:1

6 . about to come on SF and bare his grief : 15:1

I picked the Mets in 5. Duh!

When I saw Suppan was going tonight I felt sure the Mets would prevail. Best game I've seen him pitch, He picked the right time for it.

The Mets offense really went to sleeep.

Tough break Ron.

As for Cheech...case of champagne? Congrats but beware the Tigers.

I picked the Mets in 5. Duh!

When I saw Suppan was going tonight I felt sure the Mets would prevail. Best game I've seen him pitch, He picked the right time for it.

The Mets offense really went to sleeep.

Tough break Ron.

As for Cheech...case of champagne? Congrats but beware the Tigers.

I figure if you get to play into mid-late October you can't complain. The Mets had their chances.

Back in Dayton there was a great place for cheesesteak. They served it on a fresh-baked, soft Italian roll and then after it was loaded with the goodies, toasted for about 2 minutes in one of those small top/bottom burner slow moving stainless steel belt-type toasters. Mmmm .. the cheese would sometimes drip onto your fingers, when you bit into it. And the smell of those fried onions (they sauteed them with butter and fresh mushrooms for mine) mixed with the meat.

Wow!

• 2 weeks later...

!!! BREAD IS DANGEROUS !!!

Research on bread indicates that:

1. More than 98 percent of convicted felons are bread users.

2. Fully HALF of all children who grow up in bread-consuming households score below average on standardized tests.

3. In the 18th century, when virtually all bread was baked in the home, the average life expectancy was less than 50 years; infant mortality rates were unacceptably high; many women died in childbirth; and diseases such as typhoid, yellow fever, and influenza ravaged whole nations.

4. More than 90 percent of violent crimes are committed within 24 hours of eating bread.

5. Bread is made from a substance called "dough." It has been proven that as little as one pound of dough can be used to suffocate a mouse. The average American eats more bread than that in one month!

6. Primitive tribal societies that have no bread exhibit a low incidence of cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, and osteoporosis.

7. Bread has been proven to be addictive. Subjects deprived of bread and given only water to eat begged for bread after as little as two days.

8. Bread is often a "gateway" food item, leading the user to "harder" items such as butter, jelly, peanut butter, and even cold cuts.

9. Bread has been proven to absorb water. Since the human body is more than 90 percent water, it follows that eating bread could lead to your body being taken over by this absorptive food product, turning you into a soggy, gooey bread-pudding person.

10. Newborn babies can choke on bread.

11. Bread is baked at temperatures as high as 400 degrees Fahrenheit! That kind of heat can kill an adult in less than one minute.

12. Most American bread eaters are utterly unable to distinguish between significant scientific fact and meaningless statistical babbling.

In light of these frightening statistics, it has been proposed that the following bread restrictions be made:

1. No sale of bread to minors.

2. A nationwide "Just Say No To Toast" campaign, complete celebrity TV spots and bumper stickers.

3. A 300 percent federal tax on all bread to pay for all the societal ills we might associate with bread.

4. No animal or human images, nor any primary colors (which may appeal to children) may be used to promote bread usage.

5. The establishment of "Bread-free" zones around schools.

This article was written by B.S. Wheatberry in a desert after consuming mass quantities of yeast bread then realizing his canteen was empty. (seriously :P )

^ That's funny, Farin. :laughing: It reminds me of this article, which is funny if you know what dihydrogen oxide is.

Subject: Warning -- Dihydrogen Oxide !

Dihydrogen Oxide (DHO) is colourless, odourless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people each year. Most of these deaths are caused

by accidental inhalation of DHO, but the dangers of Dihydrogen Oxide do not end there.

Prolonged exposure to it's solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination,

and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance.

Not only is DHO dangerous to humans it is also extremely hazardous to the environment. It is a major component of acid rain, it contributes

to the greenhouse effect, and is a common cause of erosion of our natural landscape.

Worldwide contamination by DHO is reaching epidemic proportions. Quantities of the chemical have been found in almost every stream, lake

and reservoir in Australia today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in the Antarctic. So far governments

and environmental watchdogs have been indifferent to the problem.

Despite the danger DHO is widely used as an industrial solvent and coolant, in nuclear power stations, as a fire retardant, as an additive

in certain junk foods and other food products, and in a wide variety of other uses. Companies routinely dump DHO into rivers and oceans, and

nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal.

The Australian government (In fact no government) has refused to ban the production, distribution or use of this damaging chemical due to its

'importance to the economic life of the nation'.

In fact the U.S. Navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHO, and designing multi-billion-dollar devices to

control and use it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly complicated

underground distribution network. Many store huge quantities for later use.

Act now to prevent further contamination. Find out more about this dangerous chemical.

• 2 months later...

It struck me as funny that my colleague had to prematurely finish her Health & Safety training course (morning session: "Visible and Invisible Hazards) after becoming violently ill during the lunch interval. The provided meal of curry and chips contained nuts, but hadn't been advertised as such, causing a most unpleasant allergic reaction.

Luckily, between vomiting bouts, my unfortunate colleague managed to see the funny side...