Good Rap Artists

nobody_home

I can't abide violent music any more than I can abide violent films, so I don't listen to it - and I don't go to the theatre to see those sorts of films, either.

Of course. Different strokes for different folks ... as long as we pursue mutual concern, understanding, and empathy for others' tastes in music.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that a lot of rap music has positive messages. I'm sure that I'm probably missing out on a lot of really good horror flicks, too. But as far as entertainment, for me the fun is in the getting there, not the end result. So for me, sitting through a 90-minute blood-fest film to get to the point of it all isn't worth it. Neither (to me) is sitting through 3 minutes (+-) of cussing in a rap song.

If there was more fun in the journey for me, I'd listen to it.

I humbly apologize for any offense I caused by having stated my opinion in the first place. I will now retire and quit meddling in threads where I obviously don't belong. :crazy:

Carry on.

I'm sure that a lot of rap music has positive messages. I'm sure that I'm probably missing out on a lot of really good horror flicks, too. But as far as entertainment, for me the fun is in the getting there, not the end result. So for me, sitting through a 90-minute blood-fest film to get to the point of it all isn't worth it. Neither (to me) is sitting through 3 minutes (+-) of cussing in a rap song.

You'll miss out on some great Shakespearean tragedies, esp. The Tragedy Of Macbeth and The Tragedy Of Julius Caesar. At the same time, I can see how something such as The Passion Of The Christ has no redeeming value since the whole movie boiled down to a 2-hour lynching. I'd rather watch The Last Temptation...

Here's another old ladys' opinion of rap.... I try to be really open minded about music. I cannot stand what I call "music snobs". I understand the use of "profanity and violence", that's just a part of the culture, infused into the music. I like a lot of rap songs, I do get plenty of exposure between my kids and people I work with, and I do like a lot of it. However would I spend money buying it? No.

Here's another old ladys' opinion of rap.... I try to be really open minded about music. I cannot stand what I call "music snobs". I understand the use of "profanity and violence", that's just a part of the culture, infused into the music. I like a lot of rap songs, I do get plenty of exposure between my kids and people I work with, and I do like a lot of it. However would I spend money buying it? No.

Well that's a pretty open minded opinion. :thumbup:

In my opinion:

Good Rap Artist:

-Run DMC

-A Tribe Called Quest

-Common

-Talib Kwali

-Lupe Fiasco

-Early NWA

-Public Enemy

-Early Snoop Dogg

-Tupac Shakur (Most, anyway)

-Notorious BIG

-Jay Z

-The Roots

-Ice T/ Body Count (Ice T has the most gangsta lisp ever)

-Early Busta Rhymes

-Geto Boys

Bad/ Annoying Rap (abridged version):

-50 Cent

-Eminem

-Kanye West (has some bearable)

-Ludacris

-Nelly

-Mike Jones

The problem with most artists is that as time goes on they strat away from their roots and try to be something they're not, or do something just to gain attention. I believe that hip hop really died when Eminem came out, because there isn't really any good mainstream stuff after that. There are only a few good artists today, but they are shunned because they don't fit the mold of a normal rapper.

Agreed, but it's not as if selling out to the mainstream is specific to rap.

If anyone here is interested in hip hop, but doesn't like rap, I'd highly reccomend one of my personal favorite albums of all time, "Endtroducing..." by DJ Shadow. It is an electronica album, but it has the spirit of a hip hop album, just without the lyrics. It is very experimental and jazzy at times, and is amazing to listen to while doing some night-driving.

In my opinion:

Good Rap Artist:

-Run DMC

-A Tribe Called Quest

-Common

-Talib Kwali

-Lupe Fiasco

-Early NWA

-Public Enemy

-Early Snoop Dogg

-Tupac Shakur (Most, anyway)

-Notorious BIG

-Jay Z

-The Roots

-Ice T/ Body Count (Ice T has the most gangsta lisp ever)

-Early Busta Rhymes

-Geto Boys

Good list! I especially like seeing Ice T and the Geto Boys on there. Two of my favorites from the '90s.

Endtroducing... is a great album. Unfortunately, his albums have progressively declined in quality. His new one, The Outsider, is okay, but it doesn't measure up to his debut. Like many albums coming out these days, there is no cohesiveness with it. I got the same feeling with the Chili Peppers' Stadium Arcadium. With Internet downloading of music on the rise, I feel this is going to be an inevitable trend. The idea of the concept album will become obsolete soon enough.

Agreed, but it's not as if selling out to the mainstream is specific to rap.

If anyone here is interested in hip hop, but doesn't like rap, I'd highly reccomend one of my personal favorite albums of all time, "Endtroducing..." by DJ Shadow. It is an electronica album, but it has the spirit of a hip hop album, just without the lyrics. It is very experimental and jazzy at times, and is amazing to listen to while doing some night-driving.

That album is amazing. I would highly recommend it!!

Rap ( in its past growing and most present virulent form ) is like HIV or the plague ; we just have to wait it out until it claims a percentage of the populace and then falters ; then we can carry on . A very few songs have worth and made an impact , but may live on . Disco suffered a similar , but shorter , fate .

Rap ( in its past growing and most present virulent form ) is like HIV or the plague ; we just have to wait it out until it claims a percentage of the populace and then falters ; then we can carry on . A very few songs have worth and made an impact , but may live on . Disco suffered a similar , but shorter , fate .

uh oh Kevin... watch out for the backlash. :crazy: