Good Rap Artists

nobody_home

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand how you can make that statement when you're ignorant of these great artists. Give them a try, and expand your horizons.

I understand how you can makethat statement when you're ignorant of whether or not I have given them a try. Which, FYI, I have - several of them.

No worries. Just be aware that when you call someone ignorant it typically puts one on the defensive, whether or not they truly are.

I have had the RunDMC experience, I have had the Grand Master Flash experience, I have had the Eminem experience, I have had the 50Cent experience, and I have had the Will Smith experience, among others. Of those Will Smith is the only one I truly enjoyed.

Although in auditing the lyrics posted on this site I am gaining a grudging respect for Eminem. Which my son purely loves (with a "told you so" bent) because he listens to it all the time.

Sorry about that.

I didn't much cared for Eminem from the start, too, but he's earned some well-deserved respect in the business.

A lot of rap lyrics can be brash to say the least, but that's the kind of lifestyle these artists are born into. I think it's great they can vent these emotions in the form of music and inspire others to do the same. As much experience, emotion, insight and dedication goes into their albums as our favorite classics.

Just like any new sensation, it's difficult for one to train their ear to something they haven't heard, and probably never experienced, their entire life. And just like any form of music, it demands to be listened to on a sheerly musical plane. Otherwise it's not even given a chance.

/rant

~ Beastie Boys

~ WuTang Clan

~ Cypress Hill

~ Missy Elliott

~ Insane Clown Posse (I can't help myself...)

~ Afrika Bambaataa

~ Eminem (songs like Stan had me sold and D12 were ok too)

~ Kanye West (has his moments)

~ Snoop Dogg

~ Ice T

~ Ice Cube

~ Jay Z

~ Busta Rhymes

~ Nelly (I do like some of his stuff and find it pretty catchy)

~ Talib Kweli

I don't religiously listen to rap and in no way like every song by every artist, much the same as I feel about every genre. Sometimes, something different can really surprise you :)

It's not so much that I don't respect rap artists... rather, the lyrics they feel the need to write, the incessant f-words thrown in everywhere, the violence included in the songs, the attitude they convey - that's what turns me off of rap. And it's also why I do like Will Smith - he doesn't feel the need to use that sort of language, and he writes about above-board stuff, and he makes me smile. I can't abide violent music any more than I can abide violent films, so I don't listen to it - and I don't go to the theatre to see those sorts of films, either.

So it's not disrespect of their talent. Hell, they sell more records than I ever will.

Rolling Stone article]As for rap, the bane many his peers' musical existence, Neil Young practically jumps out of his chair with enthusiasm. "I love rap!" he declares with a sparkle in those familiar, piercing eyes, professing a particular fondness for Ice-T. "It's speaking to the people on the streets. It's a whole new way of communicating that's so open to saying exactly what the hell's on people's minds in a clever way, a way that you can listen to and move your body to. Similar to, like, Subterranean Homesick Blues. Dylan is early rap. What the hell's the difference?" To those who resist rap's charms, he adds, "This is the ******* that's going to keep music alive--don't close it off because you don't understand it."

It's not so much that I don't respect rap artists... rather, the lyrics they feel the need to write, the incessant f-words thrown in everywhere, the violence included in the songs, the attitude they convey - that's what turns me off of rap.

I think many adults share this opinion with you, and it's really quite a shame. If you can get past the swearing and violence, a lot of rap songs have positive messages, even if they come from very negative life experiences (or realistically fictional stories or whatever). For instance, take "Dance With the Devil" by Immortal Technique:

explicit lyrics here

Now, an adult might look at this and say "He uses the f word, the n word, he talks about violence, the story is negative...this must be a negative song!" But if you can get past that, the message of the song is "beware of darkness, don't join gangs, be a good kid," and all that kind of stuff.