Single Best Year of Music

Batman

What was the one best year for music?

I like 1967 the best. Great albums from the Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin (either 67 or 69, I'm not sure), Cream, Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band came out, and some other stuff I can't think of right now.

There was so much REALLY COOL music released in 2003!

Ahem, I think the sarcasm meter just malfunctioned! Or maybe that was just the falseness meter.

I'd have to vote for 1966. Pet Sounds, Revolver, Aftermath, and, some other, really really cool stuff, most of which I don't care to mention at this point in time.

I don't see many more "best years in music" being in the next few years. The next predictions to make are the death of acoustica and the 100% dominance of electronia (which I, unlike so many others, won't actually mind. I dig that sound when done properly, and when it actually sounds like a result which the artist was satisfactory with. But if vocals become dominated by strange vocal altering machines for too long, then that might have a severely life-depleting effect upon vocalist and listener.

But it's not hurt me that way as yet. Thankfully!

Love and mercy

Matt

Led Zeppelin (either 67 or 69, I'm not sure)

Their first 2 albums came out in 1969, but I agree that it was the best time for music.

Another year that was really good for music was:

IV (Led Zeppelin)

Sticky Fingers (Rolling Stones)

Imagine (John Lennon)

LA Woman (The Doors)

Who's Next (The Who)

Pearl (Janis Joplin)

1976 was a great year for radio :coolio:

• More Than a Feeling - Boston
  • (Don't Fear) The Reaper - Blue Oytser Cult
  • The Boys Are Back in Town - Thin Lizzy
  • Tonight's the Night - Rod Stewart
  • Beth/Detroit Rock City - KISS
  • Rhiannon - Fleetwood Mac
  • The Things We Do for Love - 10 CC
  • Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
  • Lowdown - Boz Scaggs
  • Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band
  • Don't Go Breaking My Heart - Elton John & Kiki Dee
  • If You Leave Me Now - Chicago
  • Show Me the Way - Peter Frampton
  • Moonlight Feels Right - Starbuck
  • Welcome Back - John Sebastian
  • Never Gonna Fall In Love Again - Eric Carmen
  • Mamma Mia - Abba
  • Let ?Em In - Paul McCartney & Wings
  • Blinded By The Light - Manfred Mann's Earth Band
  • Breezin' - George Benson
  • I Never Cry - Alice Cooper
  • Devil Woman - Cliff Richard
  • You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine - Lou Rawls
  • Let Her In - John Travolta

I'll stop there ... there were many, many great tunes that year (of course, other great years as well).

:guitar:

I believe my favorite year for popular music was 1930. Here are some of the reasons:

[*]Happy Days Are Here Again--Jack Hylton & His Orchestra

[*]Cheer Up! Good Times Are Coming!--Phil Spitalny & His Orchestra

[*]A Cottage For Sale--Ruth Etting

[*]Mysterious Mose--Harry Reser

[*]Fight On!--Harold Grayson & His Trojans

[*]The Alabama Song--Lotte Lenya & The Three Admirals

[*]Montana Call--George Olsen's Music

[*]Three Little Words--Duke Ellington

[*]Homemade Sunshine--Ted Lewis & His Orchestra

[*]Liebling, Mein Herz, Lasst Dich Grussen--Lillian Harvey & Willi Fritsch

1976 was a great year for radio

Ant...you are kidding....right? BTW, that was the year I graduated high school but I can not say I enjoyed much of what was on your list.

The Starland Vocal Band with Afternoon Delight? I understand the CIA has used that song as part of it's torture treatments. Moonlight Feels Right is another one of their choices.

Most of the songs on your list were great songs but they did not move the earth. I would consider a good year for songs where the songs were more than just cute ditties. The songs would have to have substance, be thought provoking, and raise social conscience.

The years 1969 and 1970 were great years. The Beatles were finishing up their great run of albums and Motown put out songs that raised social awareness. Songs like "Ball of Confusion", "What's Going On", and "Mercy, Mercy Me". Throughout the seventies Stevie Wonder continued with many songs of social value.

I believe the 69-70 songs and albums also impacted rock music and transitioned it into what we heard throughout the seventies and into today. This movement began in 1967 and peaked in 1969 and 1970. The British rock bands began appearing. Groups like The Who, Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Elton John and others as well as American groups such as Grand Funk, Chicago and The Eagles. These groups and many more influenced the seventies and their influence is still felt today. Groups from the late sixties such as the Beatles, Doors, Cream, Rolling Stones, Jefferson Airplane (later Starship) melded well with the aforementioned groups and that peak was in 1969 and 1970.

It is hard to choose one year in particular so my choice is the years 69 and 70.

Ant...you are kidding....right? BTW, that was the year I graduated high school but I can not say I enjoyed much of what was on your list.

The Starland Vocal Band with Afternoon Delight? I understand the CIA has used that song as part of it's torture treatments. Moonlight Feels Right is another one of their choices.

I just randomly picked a year. It may not be the best year but I sure enjoyed it, including those 2 tunes aforementioned.

My love for music is well diversed ... in my collection you'll find Megadeth, Overkill, and Sepultura to The Monkees, Olivia Newton-John, and Judy Collins.

Gosh, I have a mix of everything except new country and polka (but I do want some polka; reminds me of my Dad).

That list is very nostalgic to me.

I'll disagree about your accessment of "Moonlight Feels Right." It was ground-breaking ... that xylophone solo does for xylophones like EVH's "Eruption" did for guitarists ... explosive!

Just opinions. I don't really have '1' favourite year in music. It's all good. :)

Ant

I'm going with 1992. There was a whole lot of good music coming out then:

- "Opiate" by Tool

- "Dirt" by Alice in Chains

- "Lull" by Smashing Pumpkins

- "Ignition" by The Offspring

- "SOMMS EP" by Soundgarden

- "Insesticide" by Nirvana

- "Rage Against the Machine" by Rage Against the Machine

- "Core" by Stone Temple Pilots

- "Piece of Cake" by Mudhoney

- "Drill EP" by Radiohead

- "Broken" and "Fixed" by Nine Inch Nails

I'm sure I missed some, too.

• 5 years later...

I'm gonna go on a limb and say 1997.

You may think I'm mad but check out these albums:

'The Colour & The Shape' - Foo Fighters

'Whatever & Ever Amen' - Ben Folds Five

'Urban Hymns' - The Verve

'Blur' - Blur

'Word Gets Around' - Stereophonics

'Nimrod' - Green Day

'Time Out of Mind' - Bob Dylan

'The Boatman's Call' - Nice Cave & The Bad Seeds

'The Fat of The Land' - The Prodigy

'Be Here Now' - Oasis (OK, I know the 40 minute guitar solos and some of the lyrics are a bit dodgy, but the tunes are phenomenal)

So you see, that's a pretty good year in music, and if you add up all the bands who formed in those 12 months, (Coldplay, The White Stripes, New Radicals, Queens Of The Stone Age, etc.) you'll see how cool 1997 was in music.

Edited by Guest