Music you've discovered through MySpace

Earth-Angel

Well, I've had my MySpace account for a few months now and have really found some incredible music through it that yes, I might have eventually have heard of, but that I am glad I discovered there :)

I know a lot of bands use their MS accounts to showcase less popular songs, early album releases or B-sides, so have spent hours trawling through their accounts and through their friend's accounts (and random people's profile songs) and have built up a nice new reportoire of music I am glad to have spent some time listening to :)

I'm loving Nat Baldwin, whom I found through a friend of a friend of a friend's profile. I first heard the Fratellis on there, same with Giant Drag, Corey Crowder, Alex Ares, Bedouin Soundclash, Fake Gimms, Semifinalists, Architecture in Helsinki, A.M Project, Jim Bob, Helalyn Flowers, The Dallas Guild and many more well-known artists who I had a better opportunity to listen to :headphones:

So, is there anyone else who uses MySpace to listen to or discover new music and what have been your latest finds?

I discovered over the weekend that one of my favourite artists of the 80s, Danielle Dax has recently got herself onto MySpace. I've alot of her stuff on vinyl (only one album on CD); when I was recently trying to find out if there was such a thing as a Danielle Dax anthology / "best of" on CD, I was quoted £120 by one reputable outlet!!! Dax is one of those one-of-a-kind mavericks, a creative artist who is difficult to pin down stylistically, though Myspace has her as "psychedelic-experimental-goth" or some such (not terribly helpful) pigeonhole. Believe me, she's well worth checking out. But I didn't exactly discover her music on MySpace, so that doesn't answer your question really, does it?

For my older brother's birthday present, I bought an album by an artist I'd never heard of, purely on the strength of listening to his MySpace tunes and a couple of enthusiastic reviews. Can't remember his name.... Stoney, I think it was. Very good by all accounts.

Check out Skylarkin. I got a free CD from them at a gig in Leeds, checked out their MySpace site: good stuff, in a Sleater-Kinney, Throwing Muses vein (though the band were nobbut twinkles in their daddies' eyes when the Muses were about...)

I've added bands I already knew about, but through those bands I sometimes get a friend request from a band who also shares that same account friend. I blocked band invites, so the ones I add usually message me. Since they actually went through the trouble of reading a bit here and there of my profile, I go ahead and add them. These are mainly upstarts; truly indie in every sense of the word - from the production and distribution of their music. A couple worth mentioning are Droom (sort of a SynthPop outfit from Canada), Snowwhite (Martial music from the UK), and Pre-Depression Records (whom, I think, are a Stateside Industrial band). Decent stuff.

• 2 weeks later...