List 28

Elvish

First Post... ;)

75e3224128a0433dcc8e1010lsl5.jpg

Queens of the Stone Age ~ Songs For The Deaf

tracks listing:

0. Hidden track: "The Real Song For The Deaf" in the pregap of the track. This track may not be available on all special editions of the album, including the LP version.

1. "You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar, But I Feel Like a Millionaire" – 3:12 (Homme/Lalli)

2. "No One Knows" – 4:38 (Homme/Lanegan)

3. "First It Giveth" – 3:18 (Homme/Oliveri)

4. "A Song for the Dead" – 5:52 (Homme/Lanegan)

5. "The Sky Is Fallin'" – 6:15 (Homme/Oliveri)

6. "Six Shooter" – 1:19 (Homme/Oliveri)

7. "Hangin' Tree" – 3:06 (Johannes/Homme)

8. "Go With the Flow" – 3:07 (Homme/Oliveri)

9. "Gonna Leave You" – 2:50 (Homme/Oliveri)

10. "Do It Again" – 4:04 (Homme/Oliveri)

11. "God Is in the Radio" – 6:04 (Homme/Oliveri)

12. "Another Love Song" – 3:15 (Homme/Oliveri)

13. "A Song for the Deaf" – 6:42 (Homme/Lanegan)

* Contains an incomplete version of "Feel Good Hit Of The Summer", that features all of the lyrics replaced with rhythmic laughing, toward the end of the track.

14. "Mosquito Song" (Hidden Track) – 5:37 (Homme/Oliveri)

What to say about this album? It's great! simple as that...

Great Songwriting by Josh Homme (I heard it should be pronounced "Hommy"?), powerful riffs and drums (by Dave Grohl btw) with "First it Giveth", "No One Knows" and "Go With the Flow", all songs that are great even after you heard them the 20th time...

The Greatest Rock album in the 2000's so far (and in the late 90's too), imho

funquote:

Above all, QOTSA is a muso band -- a band for musicians and those who have listened to too much music. Why else did the greatest drummer and greatest guitarist in '90s alt-rock (Dave Grohl and Dean Ween, respectively) anxiously join this ever-shifting collective? They wanted to play with the prodigiously talented Josh Homme and Nick Oliveri, two musicians who share their taste and willingness to jam.

so, it's exactly the thing for us... ;) :grin:

No One Knows

Mosquito Song (not an original video ;))

First It Giveth

Gonna Leave You (Acustic)

Get Born - Jet

B0000AQVCL.jpg

1. Last Chance

2. Are You Gonna Be My Girl

3. Rollover D.J.

4. Look What You've Done

5. Get What You Need

6. Move On

7. Radio Song

8. Get Me Outta Here

9. Cold Hard Bitch

10. Come Around Again

11. Take it or Leave it

12. Lazy Gun

13. Timothy

14. Sgt. Major

BONUS TRACKS

1. Are You Gonna Be My Girl (acoustic version)

2. Bruises (Demo)

3. Hey Kids (Non Album Track)

I just bought this one for myself. If there's one band of the 21st century that is most reminiscent of old school rock and roll, Jet be it. Their first single was 'Are You Gonna Be My Girl' which is featured on this album. The catchy bassline probably played a major role in it becoming as big as it did. There is also an acoustic version of the song featured as a bonus track with the two guitars supporting and/or complementing each other as need be. 'Cold Hard Bitch' has the same classic rock appeal. Sometimes, they decide to turn surprisingly mellow. 'Timothy' is dangerously close to becoming a tearful apology. 'Look What You've Done' is deceptively slow but fortunately the soothing melody eventually gives way to reveal someone who is rather pissed with someone else. There's also 'Rollover DJ', which reminds me of the Britpop era! I like that Jet is one of the newer rock bands but has such a strong, no-frills sound! :)

editors "the back room"

one of last year's great newcomers, nominated for a mercury prize, editors are one of my favourite new bands. quite dark and gloomy , reminiscent of joy division but a lot more melodic.

"munich" ("people are fragile things, be careful what you put them through"), "sparks" ("all sparks will burn out in the end") "blood" ("blood runs through our veins, that's where our similarity end") are some of the best tracks in the album, as well as some of the best tracks of this year!

All in all, a great album, highly reccommended for everyone who enjoys the dark and gloomy.

I never know what to do in this situation... I never write any album reviews for that forum, but do for this one and for Get The Word Out... it's all so confusing :stars:

Um, how about this one:

Lucky Boys Confusion - Commitment

lbcqb9.jpg

I bought the CD for the most awesome songs Mr Driver and Sunday Afternoon (the latter has been on repeat for weeks already...) but was pleasently surprised that the rest of the album was soft punk ska of a good level :) Very feel-good, bouncy and happy, perfect for the skinny jeans parade.

Nice for a party or to drive to especially, makes you want to sing and jive, nothing too serious and easy listening.

Happy summer music :)

Hear some clips here

I'd like to nominate my favorite Rolling Stones Album 1968's Beggars Banquet. With this album the Stones returned to their R&B roots and there is not one bad track on the whole album. The song writing is great and the playing is simplified and bluesy. The band seems to be having a great time recording. This was also the last album that Brian Jones played on and you can hear his contribution to the sound and feel of the album. If you do not have it in your collection, I recommend buying it. It is the Stones at their best.

Track listing

All songs by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, except where noted.

"Sympathy for the Devil" – 6:18

"No Expectations" – 3:56

"Dear Doctor" – 3:21

"Parachute Woman" – 2:20

"Jigsaw Puzzle" – 6:05

"Street Fighting Man" – 3:15

"Prodigal Son" (Rev. Robert Wilkins) – 2:51

"Stray Cat Blues" – 4:37

"Factory Girl" – 2:08

"Salt Of The Earth" – 4:47

sggrtsthitsmp3.jpg

A friend of mine had this album and played it for me in his room when I was 10, that was winter of '74, I was quickly enamored with it, I asked my folks for it for my birthday that year, so there is was when I unwrapped it a couple days early befor my eleventh birthday. We were celebrating early because my oldest brother was getting married on the weekend a day before my birthday (I think). Anyway, my grandfather (on my mother's side) was recover from an injury in the hospital at this time as well, then just as I was giving this album a spin on my dads old faithful vintage 40's phonograph it was into the 4th or 5th track and the phone rang, my grandfather has passed on. My mom quickly retreated to her bedroom with my father fast behind. As I sat on the floor, listening... it quickly became obvious to me that this album could be forever a sad reminder of this date in history. But I decided to let it forever be a reminder of what a great man my grandfather was. And of the my first families wedding. My eleventh birthday, I got the best greatest hits album ever. Now at just over 34 years old (being released in June of 1972) it's still as fresh today as it was when it came out!

1. Mrs. Robinson

2. For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her

3. Boxer

4. 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)

5. Sound of Silence

6. I Am a Rock

7. Scarborough Fair/Canticle

8. Homeward Bound

9. Bridge over Troubled Water

10. America

11. Kathy's Song

12. Condor Pasa (If I Could)

13. Bookends Theme

14. Cecilia

Fourteen fantastic songs!

hatbwc2.jpg

My dad introduced me to this album in the early seventies. Great songs...

1. A Taste of Honey

2. Green Peppers

3. Tangerine

4. Bittersweet Samba

5. Lemon Tree

6. Whipped Cream

7. Love Potion No. 9

8. Garbanzo

9. Ladyfingers

10. Butterball

11. Peanuts

12. Lollipops and Roses

13. Rosemary

14. Blueberry Park

Yup, editor's choice. I almost went with a David Pomeranz album instead, since he was interviewed for Songfacts last month ;)

ETA: BTW, the polls are mostly for fun and originally designed to pick the top selection only. So we don't necessarily have to pick the top five vote-getters.

We're looking for ways to increase interest in MoC, so stay tuned for updates. Suggestions are welcomed, of course :grin:

Edited by Guest