Freemasons

PSYCHOcatholic

Umm...i got a really serious question.

I know that my father is a mason, and my family as in mother aunts uncles granparents, all involved in the freemasons, i believe my granpa was a mason and my dad is a shriner.

Okay...do you guys know anything about Freemasons masons? Knights Templar?

I just would like some info. I know its not another religon, so i think the catholic doctrine will allow it, but ive always wanted to be apart of something secret.

Can anybody help me out?

Umm...i got a really serious question.

Okay...do you guys know anything about Freemasons masons? Knights Templar?

I just would like some info. I know its not another religon, so i think the catholic doctrine will allow it, but ive always wanted to be apart of something secret.

Can anybody help me out?

I've got a question for you ,too : If you want to be a part of something secret , why would you want or expect anyone here to spill the beans in this thread about that very secretive group you wish to join ? :stars: :laughing:

Seriously , though , I think you'll have to put up with the sketchy information /rumors /theories etc . available before you wish to join and then take a leap of faith if you're still interested . This is one group that refuses to put out nor acknowledge any definitive description of itself - even your dad will likely hesitate to be very forthcoming with all you want to know - both by design and choice .

As for the Templars , I believe they were excommunicated in 1307 ( Friday 13th ) for heresy among other things which lead to their downfall . I'm not certain how they stand within the church today , but there are a number of groups which claim to be their ' true ' successors , etc . , however , these claims are suspect at best . Some people claim that the Freemasons incorporated the Templars into themselves , others say their origins go back to the building of the temple of Solomon . Either way , you'll likely have to join and rise in the ranks for many years to find out for yourself .

In the meantime you could check out Monty Python and at least learn ' how to spot a mason ' . ;) Also , I believe I started a thread a couple of years ago called ' Freemason Secrets Revealed ! ' - Remember , Joe ? :D Check it out . I know they make one mean jam and pickle jar , too - but they sure aint Free !

Also : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Knights_Templar and follow the links , especially Freemasonry Rank and you'll see what I mean ...

My great grandfather was twice elected as Grand Master of the Duke Of Edinburgh Lodge here in Australia. I know they always claimed to be not affiliated with any religion, there was always a big divide between Catholics and Freemasonry in Australia. My great grandfather was a Methodist, I myself am a Catholic.

Because of my interest in family history, I've tried to read as much as I can about the Freemasons. Several of my family members were part of the society at varying degrees. I find the subject fascinating. And Monty Python's 'How To Spot A Mason' is hilarious :D

There are different rites , aren't there , Katie ? Sort of like sects , perhaps , which have different thoughts on religion and other things , I suppose ... Your Grandfather was likely following the Scottish Rite ?

For all the interest in their secretiveness , I take them to be basically charitable organizations with some form of philosophy(ies ) of how they'd like to shape or design the world - but not in any sinister sense , as well as helping out fellow members much as college alumni might do . Perhaps even more simply and importantly , a good excuse to get away from the wife and kids for a night and enjoy some pool or poker and a few drinks with the boys under the guise of doing something important . :D

Edited by Guest

You mean Lodges? There are (or were - Freemasons are a dying breed) a fair few Lodges around Australia. A Lodge was usually your local area and the surrounding districts. So, if you lived in this particular part of the world, you would be joining the Duke Of Edinburgh Lodge.

Or do you mean certain orders of Freemasons only allowed in people of a certain religion? Catholics were prevented in the past from becoming Freemasons because of a Papal directive. This directive has been repealed and Catholics are now allowed to join.

I know that most Lodges here required you to state your belief in a 'Supreme Being' but not your religion, which was never supposed to come into it.

As far as I know, you're pretty much spot on with the 'something important' bit Kevin! My great grandfather was Grand Master during the 1920's and 1930's, and they did do charity work, but it was like a big 'old boys club', you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. He was a merchant, and the Freemasons were full of business men and the wealthy doing favours for each other. They also presided over the Masonic debutante balls.

What else they did, I don't know.

And they had secret handshakes, which we all know are the foundation of a good secret society ;)

There are different rites , aren't there , Katie ? Sort of like sects , perhaps , which have different thoughts on religion and other things , I suppose ... Your Grandfather was likely following the Scottish Rite ?

Yes, he was in a 'Blue Lodge' which meant they followed the first part of the Scottish Rite.

You're likely right about the terminology , Katie . I remember reading about the Scottish Rite and the York Rite and anumber of other odd names - it get's rather confusing .

Psycho , here's something I pulled off a masonic site : very basic , though .

A Masonic Creed

Freemasonry teaches the universal principle of unselfish friendship and promotes those moral precepts which are in keeping with all great faiths. In pursuing this doctrine; the following though not exclusive, is considered to be basic:

Masonic Beliefs:

•  Mankind was created by one God.

•  This one God is the author of all life.

•  God ‘s existence is revealed to man through faith and the Book of Holy Scriptures.

•  The Book of Holy Scriptures is the Ultimate Authority or Great Light of Freemasonry.

•  The soul of Man is Immortal.

•  Man’s commitment to Divine Providence determines his destiny.

•  Man’s reverence for God is best exemplified by his actions toward his fellow man.

Considering the universality of Freemasonry, it teachings cannot be defined by any single statement or established profile. The following is considered to be representative of its fundamental precepts and constitutes basic:

Masonic Teachings

Man’s first duty to is to love and revere God, implore His aid in all laudable undertakings and seek His guidance through prayer, embrace and practice the tenets of religion, extend charity and sympathy to all mankind, shield and support the widow and orphan, defend virtue, respect the aged, honor and bonds of friendship, protect the helpless, lift up the oppressed, comfort the downcast, restore dignity to the rejected, respect the laws of government, promote morality and add to the common stock of knowledge and understanding.

--------------------

This next part seems to be key, Psycho , and perhaps why you won't get any straight and simple answers about any of this :

To be One is 2ASK1.

2B1 Ask1-To be One, Ask One-- Among millions of Masons, for hundreds of years, it was not lawful to invite a friend to apply for membership. Our code of conduct prevented it. Thus, no faithful Mason could invite you to join. Hence, to be one, you have to ask one. You must first ask yourself if you're suitably prepared to enter the gentle craft of Masonry to become a brother in the world's most exclusive fraternal order. Few men are intellectually or spiritually prepared to understand or appreciate even the most apparent meanings of Masonry. Do you reflect on the nature of man's purpose in life and will you make obligations to God, your family, and yourself?

--- If such ethical and moral questions hold little interest for you, then you will gain little benefit from the teachings of the Craft. But if you seek a more meaningful quality of life and the spirit of charity and good fellowship which flow from it then Freemasonry has much to offer. We want the world to know what we believe, how we act, and what we do and, then, should you become a Mason, we want you to be proud of our Fraternity and to participate in our work. Only those who desire membership because of their favorable impression of us should seek a petition to join. What We Ask of You? Any man who is twenty (20) years of age or older and of good moral character, who comes well recommended, and who believes in a Supreme Being and in the immortality of the soul may petition to become a Freemason.

Have you considered the moral aspect to Freemasonry? Is it right in a so called free society to seek advancement by 'backscratching', irrespective of the personal merits and morals of the owner of the back? Also, consider that it may lead to you being obliged to turn a blind eye to things illegal...