13 essential Rockism albums:

PaulEdwardWagemann

if you want to consider yoruself a Rockist, then

heres the list of the 13 essential albums you need know, frontward sidways and back:

Beatles ~ Sgt Pepper

Beatles ~ Abbey Road

Bob Dylan ~ The FreeWheelin Bob Dylan

Neil Young ~ Decade

The Clash ~ Combat Rock

Pink Floyd ~ Pipers at the gates of Dawn

Liz Phair ~ Exile in Guyville

Black Sabbath ~ Paranoid

led Zeppelin ~ I

REM ~ ChronicTown

Nirvana ~ Nevermind

Velvet Underground ~ VU

The Who ~ Who's Next

These are the bare minimum. Chronologically they run from 1962 to 1993. (Yes, that means that I dont think there has been a significant Rockism album made in the last 12 plus years--but I'm open for debate). There are only two female band members here; Liz Phair and Mo Tucker, No blacks, no hispanics, no asians, no arabs. 7 of the 13 albums are from British acts, and one is from a Canadian. 7 albums are from the 60s, 2 from the 90s, 2 from the 80s and just two from the 70s (even though the 70s were in fact the greatest Rock decade of all!). There are a several other albums that came very close to making the list; Pavements Slanted and Enchanted, the Talking Head Remain in Light, and Stereolabs Space Age Batchelor Pad Music, Love's Forever Changes, the Replacements Pleased to Meet Me, etc.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well how many white artists do you think would be on a list of 13 essential Soul albums or 13 essential Rap albums...

If Chuck Berry would have ever made a good album he would have been on the list...Hendrix came close, and Love (Arthur Lee) probablly came the closest...but I explain why none of these artists albums made the list on my blog.

Well how many white artists do you think would be on a list of 13 essential Soul albums or 13 essential Rap albums...

Soul and R&B:

Hall And Oates

The Doobie Brothers

Alison Moyet (maybe)

Taylor Dayne (maybe)

Lisa Stanfield (maybe)

Anastacia (maybe)

Problem is is that they're not filed under "Soul," but "Adult Contemporary."

http://forum.songfacts.com/showtopic.php?tid/141067/post/new/#NEW

Rap and Hip Hop:

Eminem

Beastie Boys

The Stereo MCs

Jamiroquai

Hey, I found something!

The links I provide kindof go over some of the basics. Rockism was a term first used in the 80s as a way of putting music into context in order to define quality in music. Certain tennants were recognized, but Kurt CObain sorta knocked down many of these tennants and since then there has been a new school of Rockism. This new school is above some of the things that were kindof accepted in the old school. For instance sexism, homophobia, racism(arguably), self-indulgance, etc. Perhaps most importantly the new school embraced the DIY spirit of the punks so that any band that is corporate rock sucks and any band that is Indie is good.

The problem is that a lot of the new school ways have put the emphasis on image. They also seem more uptight (some are a bit posuerish) and not as much fun. Often musically alot of new bands copy a lot from the old school bands, but one of the biggest criticism of the new school is that the vocals seem whiney and overall the bands dont have as much of the 'fun' spirit...

http://forum.songfacts.com/showtopic.php?tid/140040/

In that case, lemme roll my sleeves (actually, I don't have sleeves at the moment) and get ta work on this crucial rockist list (ha! It rhymed...):

- Arena Rock: Permanent Waves by Rush

- Art Rock: For Your Pleasure by Roxy Music

- BritPop: Rialto by Rialto

- Indie Rock: Mellow Gold by Beck

- Indie Rock/Alterno Pop: So Tonight That I Might See by Mazzy Star

- Jazz Rock: Aja by Steely Dan

- Kraut Rock: The Man Machine by Krafwerk

- Neo Folk: The World That Summer by Death In June

- Post Punk: The Return Of The Durutti Column by The Durutti Column

- Power Pop: Free All Angels by Ash (this is what I would term as a "wild card")

- Swedish Rock: Isola (in SWEDISH!) by Kent

I've never seen a "rockism" list. Where could one find more of those?

By checking out PaulEdwardWagemann's myspace site, or the previous thread all about Rockism here on SongFacts. It's a sort of hobby-horse of Paul's.

From where I'm sitting, it looks like an excuse for rock snobbery, that forces one to consider a pointless deal of ethical eligibility criteria in order to determine whether one is entitled to enjoy a particular band or album with one's credibility intact. But that's probably an unfair critique, based upon a lack of understanding on my part.

By checking out PaulEdwardWagemann's myspace site, or the previous thread all about Rockism here on SongFacts. It's a sort of hobby-horse of Paul's.

From where I'm sitting, it looks like an excuse for rock snobbery, that forces one to consider a pointless deal of ethical eligibility criteria in order to determine whether one is entitled to enjoy a particular band or album with one's credibility intact. But that's probably an unfair critique, based upon a lack of understanding on my part.

Hahaha. Looks like someone is trying to coin new words into the English language without permission.

Elitism + Rock = Rockism

If "rockist" is analogous to a wine connoisseur, then I'm all for beer tasting.

PABST BLUE RIBBON!