Computer Problems

blind-fitter

My computer persistently switches off and re-boots itself these days. Also I sometimes get what I call a "screen- freeze", where no programmes respond and the cursor will not budge, no response to "C + Alt + Del", with the result that I have to turn the computer off manually.

I don't think this has anything to do with viruses (viri?), as my Norton Anti-Virus Protection, (which has served me well for the last two years), is up-to-date and claims to be functioning properly. On the advice of an "in-the-know" colleague, I also ran Spybot Search And Dsetroy a couple of weeks back, but the problem remains. I have also had the side of the computer off to clean dust out of the fan,(several weeks ago now) but that also doesn't seem to have had much effect, if any.

Are all my music files and Word documents in jeopardy??? What do I need to do?

Any advice welcome.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happened to me one time...

Always think of the most simple thing first...make sure your reset button isnt stuck.

A program called Ad-Aware is pretty good. You might also wanna check all your computer settings, your registry, different things like that. But, it is possible that viruses can reboot your computer, but if you have norton, thats almost impossible to get a virus that bad.

I would have to say a simple adware got in to a certain file and now, you just have to find that file.

Next time you turn on your computer, try disconnecting your internet, see if that works.

If it works, run your norton again. If you can stay online long enough, download Ad-Aware from cnet.com

How old is your computer, the screen freezing worries me and what Operating System are you running?

If you could reveal your operating system, that would help.

Apart from that Norton is no good anymore and my laptop is surviving using ZoneAlarm for viruses(ii), spyware and firewall.

It could also be a memory problem... perhaps you are running too many programs at one time? Too many windows open?

Have you performed a cleanup and defragmentation recently? I don't think that's the cause, but it does help keep things tidy.

Mine did that too once, and in the end I had to try to save as much data as I could and buy a new hard drive. There had been a number of power short cuts in the past (not just the computer, but the whole house), and all that sudden switching off and switching back on again broke the hard drive beyond repair. I don't think that's the case with yours, though. I don't hope so either...

Buy a 4 dollar can of compressed air, open the case (outside, where flying dust won't cause a domestic brawl), and have at it. Dust (particularly around the power supply and heat-sinks) acts as in insulator, a blanket, and traps heat in allowing the power supply to fever-up and shut the whole smash down.

Ken.

Hmmmmm. Thanks for all your helpful suggestions, folks. I'm a bit of a babe-in-the-woods where the computer's concerned. I've had disasters in the past, but thankfully not for the last couple of years. Some of the terminology you have used has me a bit befuddled, (what operating system do I use? :blush:) but I'll look into these suggestions and try some out; might need a friend to help me!

Buy a 4 dollar can of compressed air, open the case (outside, where flying dust won't cause a domestic brawl), and have at it. Dust (particularly around the power supply and heat-sinks) acts as in insulator, a blanket, and traps heat in allowing the power supply to fever-up and shut the whole smash down.

Ken.

Just imagine this if you will.

It's 1975, and someone says. "I just bought a bottle of water at the grocery store, and a can of air at radio shack"

But Ken is quite right!!