The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #30

Farin

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm dying of curiosity - did any of you look at the Roger video links I posted and recognize either of my nominations?

I know Banditos when it was originally a hit. My now husband and I would sing "everybody knows that the world is full of stupid people" about our co-workers!

My nominations:

1. The Very Thought of You - Nat King Cole

2. Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton

3. Squeezebox - The Who

4. Message of Love - The Pretenders

5. Oh, L'Amour - Erasure

6. Better Man - Pearl Jam

7. Burn Rubber - Gap Band

8. All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

9. Still The Same - Bob Seger

10. Banditos - The Refreshments

I can't ever look at the video clips you guys post. :(

I only really get to check out the forums at work, and our firewall blocks youtube and most video streams..

And Farin, if you like 74-75, you should check out the whole Ring album.. Great stuff, all their albums are just wonderfully written pop music that's light and enjoyable. For some reason, though, they only ever had a few minor hits.

1. Iron Man - Black Sabbath

2. All Along The Watchtower - Jimi

3. Fannie Mae - Buster Brown

4. Squeezebox- The Who

5. Rain, The Park and Other Things - Cowsills

6. Redneck Friend - Jackson Browne

7. So Very Hard To Go - Tower Of Power

8. Goldfinger - Shirley Bassey

9. Wah Wah - George Harrison

10. Annie's Song - John Denver

I'm dying of curiosity - did any of you look at the Roger video links I posted and recognize either of my nominations?

I watched and enjoyed them both (though I didn't recognize them, I do know the band). The people singing along in the first video were totally tone-deaf... :P

1: Angel Eyes - Raghav

2: Mood For A Day - Yes

3: Eagle Rock - Daddy Cool

4: Read My Mind - Sweetbox

5: Annie's Song - John Denver

6: Pinball Wizard - The Who

7: Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton

8: New Days - Asher Lane

9: Down Together - Refreshments

10: All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix

I had to do a lazy skim through the list on YouTube, so sorry to the probably good nominations I missed. :P

well I think it doesn't make sense to leave it open any longer...

sf_songfactorschoicetop10.jpg

The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten #30 for the week ending 17th September 2006

1. All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix (1968)

2. Pinball Wizard - The Who (1969)

3. My Sweet Lord - George Harrison (1970)

4. Iron Man - Black Sabbath (1972)

5. Echoes - Pink Floyd (1971)

6. Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton (1977)

7. Truckin' - The Grateful Dead (1970)

8. Squeezebox - The Who (1975)

9. Africa - Toto (1982)

10.Annie's Song - John Denver (1974)

:headphones:

Hi Malakin. :)

No, I wasn't saying "don't vote for it". I'd always vote for a song I really like, no matter who the Artist.

I love to see variety in our Top Tens, which we certainly get - that's evident when you look through Farin's Archives (always a good read), and I'm suggesting some restraint (for want of a better word) in some of our Nominations.

We sort of had the same situation with The Beatles and The Stones; now it's Jimi, Led Zeppelin and The Who (we didn't nominate a lot of their songs before because they used to be in the Songfacts Top Tens always).

I had "Uptown Girl"/ Billy Joel and "Happy Jack"/ The Who as my first pick nominations this week, but as Billy Joel made the Ten last week, and 2 others nominated 'Who' songs this time I changed them.

These are just my thoughts. I don't mean to offend anyone. I suppose what I'm suggesting is don't NOT nominate them, but maybe spread them out a bit.

:headphones:

Great to see Toto and John Denver make the Ten, and Jimi's All Along The Watchtower is certainly one of the best Bob Dylan covers ever.

:thumbsup:

We sort of had the same situation with The Beatles and The Stones; now it's Jimi, Led Zeppelin and The Who (we didn't nominate a lot of their songs before because they used to be in the Songfacts Top Tens always).

I bet the next band to make that list is Pink Floyd - there are quite a few songs from The Dark Side Of The Moon alone that I am pretty sure will make the ten the first time they are nominated. Not that I'm complaining - I love the Floyd.

I don't know about anyone else's system for nominating, but personally, because my music tastes are a bit out there on the margins, I see no point in simply nominating tracks from my "all-time Top 50" or whatever, since they often don't have a cat in hell's chance of being recognised, let alone voted for. Also, simply nominating from the oeuvre of ones favourite bands is a bit limiting too. I always nominate tracks I'm very fond of, but it's usually on the basis of what's been going round my head that particular week. I mean, to be honest "Deeply Dippy" isn't exactly something that features highly in my "all-time faves", and Right Said Fred aren't exactly one of my favourite bands, but I had just bought that album ("Up")for my 7-year old daughter and was reminded of what a perfect pop track it is. The previous week I had just got back from my holidays in Brittany, France. I had been speaking (and singing!) in French for a fortnight, recalling the great times I had living in France as a younger man. Hence it was perfectly natural for me to nominate Edith Piaf's "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien" upon my return; though some of you found that choice a bit eccentric.