Headphones vs surround sound

Mike

When I was a kid, I really enjoyed listening to headphones, when I got a license to drive, that ended. Now many years later, married with kids... headphone can be good again. :)

Any way. I remember listening to a new album with a new needle (stylus) and being able to hear ever nuance of sound, especially instruments. I vividly remember listening to Flying from Magical Mystery Tour, an instrument starts in one channel and an additional one begins in the other channel, then another and another. Very cool. So I'm listening to Space Oddity by David Bowie the other day, and I hear what appears to be two seperate vocal tracks in each channel. Identical in sync, but in different ranges. I've heard this song many, many times in the last 30 years, but never over head phones.

By the way, I remember Carl's first avatar was a picture of him when he was a toddler (or maybe an infant) and (*I said infant, not infantile, he's still working on that phase of life) he was wearing headphones in that picture.

*p.s. Just kidding Carl please don't revoke my login.

I´m just like Mike... headphones were the big kick for me when I was a teenager... stereo begun in the mid sixties and that was an amazing experience... I remember listening to "Rubber Soul" (which was remixed to stereo, it was on mono first) and then Deep Purple... and then the White album... and so so many albums...

Headphones!!! :thumbsup:

Headphones pick up finer nuances of the song, but they are worse for the eare... Surround sound makes it easier to move around and bug the people across the street who are cackling in the middle of the road in the middle of the night after a party.

They started it!

Headphones for me. I remember listening to the Rascals' Individually And Collectively album. On the song "What Is The Reason" there's a drum riff by Dino Danelli where the drums start at the right earphone and you can feel the roll progress across the top of your head and to the left earphone. Awesome sensation!

I'm fine with either, as long as it's sufficiently loud. ;)

Uncle Joe's post reminded me of the first time I listened to "Can You See Me" by the Jimi Hendrix Experience with headphones. There's a note that goes from one ear to the other and back. Very cool. Felt like a ping-pong game going on in my head.