Most Underrated Bands

rsbabes311

I figured since we already covered most Overrated, I would open up discussion about most Underrated.

I think one of my picks (not the most Underrated but they are underrated) will have to go to Sister Hazel. Sister Hazel has the lyrics down, they have good music and vocals, they are not sell outs, and being a drummer I think the drummer is fairly good. Like I said they are not the most underrated but I think they have good full albums and got things together and just don't get enough credit for it.

I agree that Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were underated in the seattle scene behind Nervana (who is also overated), but the most underated band I can think of is POCO.

Now Soundgarden was playing the clubs in Seattle at the same time that Nervana was, but Alice in Chains being a San Diego band came after the beginning of the Seattle Grunge thing. Never-the-less, Soundgarden gets my vote for greatest Seattle area band, less we not forget Pearl Jam; who were also playing the clubs in the Seattle Metro during the whole hayday of the beginnings of Grunge. Of course Pearl Jam is more well known than Soundgarden, but why?

Alice in Chains being a San Diego band came after the beginning of the Seattle Grunge thing.

It was Stone Temple Pilots, who incidentally were fairly rated.

Pearl Jam is more well known than Soundgarden, but why?

Commercial reasons, Pearl Jam had a better chance to attract a bigger audience.

I can't really think of any underrated bands off hand, to me they've all received a good evaluation from the press, I suppose if I try harder, I could list off a few.

I was watching a free concert last night with Queensryche. These guys are professional musicians and very talented. I heard some songs I hadn't heard before and was very impressed. The lead singer, Geoff Tate, has a range not found in most music today. Their sound is very clean.

They are, IMO, definitely underrated.

I was watching a free concert last night with Queensryche. These guys are professional musicians and very talented. I heard some songs I hadn't heard before and was very impressed. The lead singer, Geoff Tate, has a range not found in most music today. Their sound is very clean.

They are, IMO, definitely underrated.

I agree, they never really glistened into the mainstream, except back in 1990 with Silent Lucidity from Empire. He has a reaching voice like no other rock musician I?ve heard & deserved more recognition for their take during the monotonous 80?s rock scene.

The most underrated band, is without a doubt (mind you I'm only talking about the U.S's stand on 'em)

OASIS!!! I picked up (What's The Story) Morning Glory? at a garage sale yesterday and I can't stop listening to it, Champagne Supernova, Wonderwall, and Cast No Shadow are all great tunes! (Along with everything else Oasis does)

They only really act "full of themselves" to American audiences, because the Gallagers quite frankly hate us. They have pretty good reason to, so I don't really hold it against them, so to quote one of the Gallagers (I believe is was Noel) "Americans have very bad taste in music" and it's no denying, that as a whole, we do. Think about it, the general consensus in America is that (at least in 98-00) in a toss up between say, The Backstreet Boys and Oasis, who would've won? I'll give y'all a hint, the U.S. wouldn't have picked the talented one that's for sure.

As far as Oasis needing an advertisement, I think I should advertise them as much as possible in the states (in England it would be pointless, because their music is consumed like crack over there) For example, last night I was hanging out with some friends and they asked what I was listening to in my CD player, I said "Oasis" their reply "Who the f***'s Oasis" I said "Check it out" popped in (What's the Story) Morning Glory? and we ended up listening to the whole album 4 times and "Champagne Supernova" at least 20 times.

Long story short, Oasis=musical crack.

They only really act "full of themselves" to American audiences, because the Gallagers quite frankly hate us. They have pretty good reason to, so I don't really hold it against them, so to quote one of the Gallagers (I believe is was Noel) "Americans have very bad taste in music" and it's no denying, that as a whole, we do. Think about it, the general consensus in America is that (at least in 98-00) in a toss up between say, The Backstreet Boys and Oasis, who would've won? I'll give y'all a hint, the U.S. wouldn't have picked the talented one that's for sure.

As far as Oasis needing an advertisement, I think I should advertise them as much as possible in the states (in England it would be pointless, because their music is consumed like crack over there) For example, last night I was hanging out with some friends and they asked what I was listening to in my CD player, I said "Oasis" their reply "Who the f***'s Oasis" I said "Check it out" popped in (What's the Story) Morning Glory? and we ended up listening to the whole album 4 times and "Champagne Supernova" at least 20 times.

Long story short, Oasis=musical crack.

I've never known one person who liked the Backstreet Boys. The only person I've known who liked Nsync was on these boards and she outed herself. However, I've known many people who really liked Oasis. I live in America, possibly it's the quality of my sub-set of aquaitences. It's not even both Gallaghers with the attitude thing, only the one with the heroin problem. Many rock stars have attitude problems. I try to say good things about Oasis as much as I can, because I feel that many have overlooked their music.

The Backstreet Boys might have won a poll of 10-13 year olds but no one else. Your buddies at Clear Channel, MTV, and the record producers are the problem. If you don't like America then move. Where did your beloved Nirvana come from? Other countries have problems also, the anti-American rhetoric is getting old.

Blame the people who are responsible for the boy-bands not the people who listen to them because they are on MTV all the time. Other than sweet Peaches, no one past their teen-age years listens to the stuff. Even though there was no MTV, disco was marketed to my generation in much the same way yet I came out of the 70s unharmed. Just because the other kids in your school don't know Oasis doesn't mean you should make broad generalizations about a whole society's bad taste in music.

Since you live here, why don't you try and focus on what's right about this country instead of channeling your energies in such a negative way. Nirvana would make a good starting point for your list since they are from America and I know you like them.

"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all the others." And an English guy said that. Then he was voted out of office in '45, then voted back into office in '51. But that's how it works. If you don't like things so much, make yourself a fake ID and go vote. If dead people in Chicago could vote for Kennedy then I'm sure you could pass for the age of majority.

Let's see to quote another British guy "Americans have very bad taste in music"

All I was pointing out was that Oasis isn't very popular in America, if they were popular their albums and singles would sell better here. tada.

Let's see to quote another British guy "Americans have very bad taste in music"

All I was pointing out was that Oasis isn't very popular in America, if they were popular their albums and singles would sell better here. tada.

Ahhh, If Clear Channel and MTV would play their music more, they would be more popular. How did your friends react to the music? You said favorably. So they must have good taste. Airplay is the problem, not peoples' taste, as you yourself pointed out by mentioning your friends' reactions. We can do it your way:

Your friends + Oasis = new Oasis fans

MTV + New Kids on the Block = new fans for next boy band

MTV + BSBoys = new fans for next boy band

MTV + NSync = solo Justin fans

See, now who is to blame? The kids who are listening to the boy bands or MTV for not providing real music. Fans by default. That is unless the vicious cycle is stopped. By playing Oasis for your friends you are doing your part. And good for you. :thumbsup: When I was four or five a neighbor played the Beatles for me and I was saved from disco. Think of it as a grass-roots campaign. Being young it will be easier for you to infiltrate the sleeper cells of boy-band fans and effect a change than it would for some old person like me. You could be a real force for good music in your generation if you would just stop complaining about the woes of American musical taste and work to change the hearts and minds of the previously unenlightened. :coolio: So your mission, if you choose to accept it......

Take care Scott. You can keep using my last name also if you must. ::

I'm talking about a BAND! One who will hit you with guitars, percussion (not just drums), keyboards, and horns!

Earth, Wind and Fire! :afro:

My other picks are Queen and KiSS who are rarely talked about nowadays when people talk about bands...they are an important part of history.

Best actors who were forced to be a band due to popularity...the Monkees. =:P

A-men. What's The Story, without doubt, CD of the decade. I've listened to it... hundreds, maybe thousands of times since it was released, and I still see it in a different light every single time. That's the mark of a good album.

Believe me, if you like What's The Story after the first listen, after the 10th, after the 100th, after the 1000th, you'll love it even more for what it is. One of the best albums, ever.

Love and mercy

Matt

The most underrated band, is without a doubt (mind you I'm only talking about the U.S's stand on 'em)

OASIS!!! I picked up (What's The Story) Morning Glory? at a garage sale yesterday and I can't stop listening to it, Champagne Supernova, Wonderwall, and Cast No Shadow are all great tunes! (Along with everything else Oasis does)

My picks for most underrated : Bad Company - and Paul Rogers' other band too - Free, both highly underrated; also Thin Lizzy - and Does anyone remember Quicksilver Messenger Service - I never even hear them on classic rock channels (they hold a special place in my heart since they were the featured group at the first concert I ever went to - we won't say when that was.) I love Alice in Chains and they too are seriously underrated as are Flaming lips and the Pixies and the cure. A Perfect circle and audioslave are underrated. :coolio:

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to hear Queensryche (I think I misspelled that). They sound very promising. And The Band is very underrated. I also think Yes doesn't get enough credit for their music, but that's just me. Focus is another underrated band. Not just underrated, but not a lot of people have even heard of it.