Progressive Rock

ATC

So the whole reason I came back to Songfacts is to find a little help with this question. Are there any new bands (or any from the last several years) that play progressive rock similar to what it was like in the 70's (bands like Yes, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, or Genesis)? If so, let me know how I can get a hold of some music to listen to! I'm trying to find some new music to listen to and hopefully catch some concerts for bands that don't have one foot in the grave! ;)

As a side note, if anyone knows a good Country Blues band (similar to The Marshall Tucker Band), I would like to find new bands there as well.

Thanks everyone!!

Probably Dream Theatre, but to ye I say, "Abandon all hope all who enter that realm of pretentiousness." I'd stick with the classics. You could always try Goblin, who did scores for Dario Argento films and other Italohorror and Eurotrash movies. They began as a band called Cherry 5, but changed their name to Goblin. They've been cranking out some decent Proggy stuff since the mid-70s. Their best score is for Joe D'Amato's gorefest titled Buio Omega.

Dream Theatre is classified as Progessive Metal and I'm not into heavy metal, even if it is progressive and one song lasts for 60 minutes. I know this is a hard genre to find current bands in, but I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

Wow.. so many to list...

For starters, you have just got to listen to marillion. Don't believe me? Go to marillion.com and ask for a free sampler. it's that easy. ;)

As for others, there's Spock's Beard, Porcupine Tree, Transatlantic (very definitely check them out), IQ, Mike Hunter solo... Plenty of prog out there, you just have to look.

Hope you find somethin you like! :)