Top 25 Bands

ATC

One strange detail I noticed (talk about being nit-picking), but I'm wondering what's so "futuristic" about the Def Leppard's music? I like the band. I own that album, Pyromania, and the Vault compilation. I don't hear anything "futuristic" at all in their songs. Futuristic music is abrassive and full of real noise bordering on electronic tendencies with sample tapes and loops, et cetera. I've never known Def Lep to take any risks like that, esp. in Hysteria.

http://www.futurism.org.uk/music.htm

http://www.unknown.nu/futurism/musicians.html

It looks as if the word was hastily applied for lack of a clear description of what Def Lep really sounds like.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The intention of a list such as this is to make people consider the artists that comprise it.

If, for example, you want to justify your selection of ZZ Top to the average reader, would you list "Deguello":

"Cheap Sunglasses"

"I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide"

"I Thank You"

"A Fool For Your Stockings"

"Lowdown In The Street"

"Hi Fi Mama"

5 other album cuts

...or would you list "Greatest Hits":

"Cheap Sunglasses"

"Gimme' All Your Lovin'"

"I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide"

"Sleeping Bag"

"Pearl Necklace"

"La Grange"

"Rough Boy"

"Tube Snake Boogie"

"Legs"

"Tush"

"Sharp Dressed Man"

7 other album cuts

That's two or three classics versus 11 songs that are either staples on classic rock radio or were huge radio and/or MTV hits at some point. Record companies are trying to sell familiar hits, not turn people on to the more obscure cuts. It doesn't mean that the album cuts are filler; it's just marketing.

So if I want to recommend something to some casual listener I'm going to go with stuff they've more than likely heard, so that they respond with "Oh yeah...I didn't realize they had all of those songs." Then, once they're hooked I can beat them over the head with the weirder stuff. :)

That Def Leppard futuristic thing got by me when I read the list.. I have NO idea what the hell that one means, can't defend it. :)

Only thing I can say is they have sold a boatload of albums compared to some of those others you named. Popularity by sales does indeed comprise enough reason to put someone on a "top 25" list, if that's all the criteria you're looking for.

That Def Leppard futuristic thing got by me when I read the list.. I have NO idea what the hell that one means, can't defend it. :)

Only thing I can say is they have sold a boatload of albums compared to some of those others you named. Popularity by sales does indeed comprise enough reason to put someone on a "top 25" list, if that's all the criteria you're looking for.

Queen and Bon Jovi are no bantam weights in album sales. I don't know the exact album sales figures, but they should rank somewhere in the top 25 Rock bands - and I like Def Lep more than Bon Jovi! Heck, at the rate of sales alone they should've included KISS (hehe).

I think the closest band to having a "futuristic" sound in this list is Pink Floyd (first sound that came to mind was the cash registre sample in their song "Money").

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'll put each band on the list in a Radiohead-related category.

Better than Radiohead:

Pink Floyd

The Beatles

Tossup:

Santana

Not as good as Radiohead:

(not to say these bands are bad...in fact I like some of them a lot. It's just that Radiohead is rather stiff competition)

The Who

The Rolling Stones

Led Zeppelin

The Greatful Dead

Jefferson Airplane/Starship

The Doors

Fleetwood Mac

AC/DC

Boston

Cream

Def Leppard

The Byrds

Aerosmith

Van Halen

U2

Allman Brothers

Journey

Traffic

Haven't heard enough to make a judgement:

The Eagles

The Moody Blues (I actually have heard a few albums, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember them too well)

Blood Sweat and Tears

ZZ Top

Considering the route Radiohead took after Pablo Honey, these are better than Radiohead:

- Jean-Jacques Perrey (solo)

- Karlheinz Stockhausen (I HAD to look up his name on Google)

- Pink Floyd

- Walter Carlos (not a band)

- David Bowie (not a band)

- Can/Holger Czukay

- Kraftwerk

- Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze

- Jean-Michel Jarre (not a band)

- Robert Fripp and Brian Eno (not a band per se)

- Neu!

- Synergy

- Vangelis (band?)

- Throbbing Gristle/Psychic TV

- Cabaret Voltaire

- The Human League, Heaven 17, and Martin Ware

- Yellow Magic Orchestra

- Einsturzende Neubauten

- The Durutti Column

- Coil

- Air

- Daft Punk

- Kent

Best Radiohead albums are Pablo Honey and The Bends.