Billy Joel or Elton John?

PSYCHOcatholic

Although these are the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" days, I prefer Billy Joel to Reg Dwight, aka "Mr. AC-DC." At least Billy Joel didn't perform as Wolfgang Mozart, when he's more in Jerry Lee Lewis' league. Yes, I did like Reg, back when he didn't take himself so seriously. I do have some of Reg's stuff on vinyl...somewhere, but I have Billy Joel on CD. (It's the same with James Taylor vs. Jim Croce; I prefer "Speedball Tucker" to "J.T.")

I would pick Elton without even thinking. I have been listening to his music since 1970, and there is just something about his style and with Bernie writing some of the best songs I have ever heard, I love Elton. I do favor the early Elton. I didn't really get into his music much past 1980. And with the road he wants to take now with hip-hop, well I just think he is reaching into something he should not be involved in. I have seen both Billy and Elton in concert and the Elton show was the best of the two. I have one Billy Joel album, "The Stranger", and that is the only music of Billy's that I like to listen to. I think both of them are two of the best artists from the 70's, I just favor Elton.

Elton John by a country mile. I never cared much for Billy's music except Piano Man (an extraordinary song) and Only The Good Die Young. EJ has such a fabulous body of work that, if push came to shove, I would have to select him as my favourite rock & roll artist. Although I do prefer his pre 1985 stuff, his Made In England CD is excellent.

• 1 month later...