News and Current Events

Mike

Son of Anna Nicole Smith dies suddenly By JESSICA ROBERTSON, Associated Press Writer

NASSAU, Bahamas - The 20-year-old son of Anna Nicole Smith has been found dead in the Bahamas, where the former reality TV star and Playboy playmate gave birth to a baby girl days earlier.

Authorities had not determined what caused the death of Daniel Wayne Smith, whose body was found Sunday morning, said Robin Bonnema, a spokeswoman for Trimspa, the diet products company that has been endorsed by Smith. Bonnema had no other details, and calls to Smith's lawyer, Howard K. Stern of Santa Monica, Calif., were not immediately returned.

Bonnema declined to provide details, saying only that Smith died "in his bed."

A statement on Smith's Web site said the son died suddenly.

"We have yet to learn the cause of death but do not believe that drugs or alcohol were a factor," the statement said. "Anna Nicole is absolutely devastated by the loss of her son. He was her pride and joy and an amazing human being."

Walter Evans, a spokesman for the Royal Bahamian Police Force, would say only that the son of an undisclosed celebrity had been found in a room of the private Doctor's Hospital in Nassau.

Anna Nicole Smith, 38, gave birth to a healthy 6 pound, 9 ounce girl at the hospital on Thursday, her Web site said.

Her son had traveled to the Caribbean country "to share in the joy of his baby sister," the statement said. "Please do not make any press inquiries at this time so that Anna Nicole can grieve in peace."

Smith married Texas oil tycoon J. Howard Marshall II in 1994, when she was 26 and he was 89. He died the following year. In March, the Supreme Court upheld Smith's right to a bequeathment of $474 million, though legal battles with Marshall's son, Pierce Marshall, have continued.

Daniel Smith had small roles in her movies "Skyscraper" and "To the Limit." He also appeared several times on the E! reality series "The Anna Nicole Show."

Bonnema said she did not know the name of Daniel Smith's father or that of the baby girl.

Even though I'm no fan of Anna Nicole, I feel sad for her. The loss of a child has to be the most horrible feeling in the world, and if something good can come out of it, I hope it's that she straightens herself out and makes herself a decent role model for her daughter.

It just seems a little sudden, no pre-existing condition, no motive for suicide, he had a new baby sister for God's Sake.

I think we need to call CSI, in Miami, Las Vegas, and New York. We should also get the lawyers from Law and Order, the original.

Now, since those people actually just act that crap and nobody can possibly be that dang good. We will just have to wait and find out what happened.

Think you got it bad?

Think price of gas is too high?

Think the cost of living is getting out of hand?

Think again...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5348898.stm

Zimbabwe's inflation tops 1,200%

Zimbabwe's annual inflation rate continues its upward surge, reaching a record high of 1,204.6% in August, and adding greater strain to the economy.

The latest rise, which represents a month-on-month climb of 211%, came after slight falls in June and July.

The south African country's inflation has been in chaos since December 2004 when it soared to 622.8%.

Zimbabwe has been dogged by shortages of foreign currency to pay for fuel and food. Unemployment has reached 70%.

Goods cost more than 13 times what they did a year ago, compounding the hardship many Zimbabweans experience.

Analysts have predicted that inflation could hit 1,800% by the end of the year.

Last month Zimbabwe's Reserve Bank issued a new 100,000 Zimbabwean dollar note (equivalent to just under $1), to accommodate rocketing prices.

President Robert Mugabe denies claims that government policies, including land reforms, have contributed to the problems - instead blaming domestic and foreign enemies for the country's difficulties.

But many analysts have said the ruling party has played a key role in precipitating the crisis.

They argue the government aggravated the situation when it took control of land owned by white farmers, which triggered a sharp drop in production and exports of agricultural goods.

According the United Nations' agencies, more than four million of the country's 13 million people face food shortages.

Now what do you think of that?

• 3 weeks later...

Holland had the same crisis involving "Tulips" when they first started as a marketing craze a few centuries ago. Some people even went as far as to mortgage their homes just to buy tulips. I somehow don't doubt reefer madness of Amsterdam was likely involved.

Zimbabwe's inflation tops 1,200%

thank you for this.

Today I was lamenting the fact that this stupid root canal has wound up costing me $400 more than I had originally planned. At least I don't have to pay upwards of 1,200 percent more per year for my regular cost of living... Puts things in perspective.

• 5 weeks later...