The 200 Greatest Songs of the 1960's

Farin

Since we all like the 60's so much (just look at the current Ultimate Top Ten ;)) I decided to post that here...

It's from Pitchfork Media, an American-based online magazine, so that you know their background

The 200 Greatest Songs of the 1960s

Story by Pitchfork staff

People always ask: "When is Pitchfork gonna run a list of the top albums of the 1960s?" The answer today? Probably never. Not that we didn't consider it. It's just that when we sat down to map it all out, we found it would be more rewarding to approach the decade through its songs instead. After all, it was by and large a single-oriented era-- the long-player didn't really take over as a creative medium until the 60s had nearly come to an end. And besides, Revolver's ego is out of hand as it is.

So today, we kick off the largest feature in Pitchfork history, a five-day trip through the first full decade of the pop/rock era. From today until Friday, we'll roll out the 200 songs that most resonate with a generation too young to have experienced the decade firsthand, but old enough to know it had more to offer than "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction".

Of course, we recognize that even at 200 tracks, our list leaves off hundreds of other fantastic and amazing songs-- not to mention a handful of cuts from the Baby Boomer canon that our staff doesn't much care for (hello, "Light My Fire"!). But if nothing else, we at least limited the maximum number of tracks per artist to five so that, say, the 14th most popular Beach Boys song (probably "Vega-Tables" or some such) wouldn't bump off more deserving tracks from less iconic artists.

The 200 Greatest Songs of the 1960's

I think it's next to impossible to agree with everything on the list...

just look at our Top Ten: out of 50-60 songs No One of us chooses the same Top Ten... EVER

just imagine the outcome when we would have 1000 (or more) songs and compiling a Top 200 from that...

you know what I mean? :)

That's why I like reading those different lists. I see songs I've forgotten about, songs I hate, songs I love, songs I would leave off, songs I'd include, songs I'd leave just where they are.

It's interesting to see a different perspective and wonder why someone put that song at the top of their list when I'd leave it off. That's why the top ten is fun :D