Songfacts get interviewed

Carl

This Sunday, I'm going to be interviewed on the air at CFRA in Ottawa. I think it's 580 on the AM dial. The show is "middle-aged bald guys talking about rock and roll," so you know it will be fun. I'm not sure if you can hear it online but they're at cfra.com and the interview should go on around 7:45pm Eastern Time.

I'm kind of excited because I've never been interviewed about Songfacts before. They promised to be gentle.

The interview was fun. It's a fast-paced show that seems to focus on Rock from the '60s. They were impressed that I did Breakfast With The Beatles, which is where I got the idea for Songfacts. They asked about Jimmy Page's appearances as a session musician, and if I knew if he really played on some of those records, like The Kinks' "You Really Got Me." (From what I've gathered, it's very hard to tell - whose part made the records isn't always clear.) A caller asked a question about who played drums on a certain Dave Clark 5 song, and we were all baffled. They asked how we check the info, and I explained that we have so many great contributors who know their stuff from working in the industry, learning about specific bands or genres, or researching answers. They said they'd send some stuff our way. They asked where Songfacts was going, and I said we'd like to keep doing what we're doing because it's a good place. We'll try to talk to more songwriters and get more songs in the database, but no plans to take over the world, or even a small country.

They didn't sound very Canadian to me, except when they said the word "Ottawa."

It's weird being on the other end of a radio interview like that. The phone rings, and 2 minutes later you're on the air with 2 guys asking you if Jimmy Page really played on a Kinks song.

I love the sound of my own voice, so this was lots of fun for me. When you do radio for so long, your voice naturally develops because you are forced to listen to yourself through headphones. Shawna can tell you about how I resonate. You wouldn't expect that kind of noise coming out of me, so I reserve the radio voice for special occasions.

I did tape the interview, but haven't listened to it yet. While I'm comfortable with my voice, I'm worried that I said something stupid or wrong. These days, I think most radio and TV stations don't give you a tape unless you're a biggie, but that would be nice.