Beach Boys

jpj rocks

So any fans of The beach boys here,

There hasint been much talk on them, so ill get the ball rolling

This was going for awhile in THIS THREAD -also check ut the song images for Little Deuce Coupe and 409

Incidently, it was nearly 45 years to the day that they started a long voyage - over Labor Day weekend 1961, with the Wilson parents on a Mexican vacation, the group took over the 119th Street house, stocked it with rented equipment and worked up the Brian Wilson composition, "Surfin' " which he cobbled together from information supplied by his younger brother Dennis, the only surfer in the group, and cousin Love, who knew some of the lingo.

I've been listening to the Beach Boys since I was a kid. Can't get enough of those harmonies. :P Unfortunately I only have one of their "best of" CDs. I feel so deprived. :/

If there is one other you should have, one album by The Beach Boys that is just perfect start to finish, with some tracks you won't find on any "best of" cd it's PET SOUNDS -now celebrating it's 40th birthday this year. What a gem of an album this is. Mere words just do not do it justice, you must review it with you heart and soul.

Wouldn't It Be Nice / You Still Believe In Me / That's Not Me / Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) / I'm Waiting For The Day / Let's Go Away For A While / Sloop John B. / God Only Knows / I Know There's An Answer / Here Today / I Just Wasn't Made for These Times / Pet Sounds / Caroline No.

petsoundsme6.jpg

I'd say Sloop John B, God Only Knows, and Caroline No are likely suspects to make a really comprehensive greatest hits collection.

BTW, Bowie covered God Only Knows on his "Tonight"?? album..

Carl Wilson said one of the best things his brother Brian ever did for him was to allow him to sing lead on God Only Knows.

From Rolling Stone:

God Only Knows

The Beach Boys

Album at Rhino.com

Written by: Brian Wilson, Tony Asher

Produced by: Wilson

Released: May '66 on Capitol

Charts: 8 weeks

Top spot: No. 39

"It's very deep. Very emotional, always a bit of a choker with me," Paul McCartney said of this Pet Sounds ballad. McCartney and John Lennon first heard the Pet Sounds album at a chic London party; the same night, they went back to McCartney's house and wrote "Here, There and Everywhere," which is directly influenced by "God Only Knows." The understated lead vocal by Carl Wilson established the quiet brother as the Beach Boys' secret weapon, but it's the arrangement of French horns, sleigh bells, harp, strings, flute, bass clarinet and accordion that gives the song its heavenly kick. Carl's brother Brian had become fascinated by spirituality and said this song came out of prayer sessions in the studio. "We kind of made it a religious ceremony," Brian said of recording Pet Sounds. The only problem: The use of the word god in the title, controversial at the time, scared off some radio programmers.

Appears on: Pet Sounds (Capitol)

• 4 weeks later...

One of my favorite bands. I have seen them twice in concert.

My favorites.

God Only Knows

Caroline

Sloop John B. Which I once tried to sing to 9th grade science class complete with beach hat and sunglasses.

I Get Around

Heroes and Villians

Wendy

In My Room

rtstuff