Crazy Songfact

TheTallOne

Sorry if I sound kind of like a perfectionist, but I was reading the songfact for "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley and it says the name is a reference to Charles Barkley. That's not true. In a interview in New York Times Magazine, he says it is made up, as he has on many other occasions. The songfact should actually read "The name Gnarls Barkley is not a reference to the basketball player Charles Barkley, but rather a random name chosen from discussions with friends" or something along those lines,

I remember one of the Doobie Brothers insisting that they made up the concept of there being a town named China Grove right outside of San Antonio....but there is a China Grove right outside of San Antonio...I've been there...took a picture next to the Welcome To China Grove sign (I collect photos of rock related places I've been)....I find it hard to believe they made up Gnarls Barkley without some reference to Charles.

However, since the band insists...maybe the songfact shouls indicate the point is up for debate...

"China Grove," the Doobie Brothers

Songwriter: Tom Johnston

Year Charted: 1973

Highest Billboard Chart Position: No. 15

When the sun came up one morning in 1973, the people of San Antonio's China Grove were surprised to find their bedroom community celebrated by the Doobie Brothers. The lyrics are nonsense, but the music was an irresistible command to rock out, duuuude, with chunky chords and a steam-engine rhythm that helped establish the band's string of hits. A well-placed rumor has it that the song was inspired by a late-night hunt for drugs after the band's San Antonio debut.

Still can't find the interview. But the Songfact about the song talks about it.

This doesn't change the fact that Gnarls Barkley is obviously a take form Charles Barkely just like Bob Gnarley is a take from Bob Marley and Prince Gnarls to Prince Charles.

Whether he says is was an influence at all is irrelevant. It's clearly infered.

If I start a site call Dongfacts, you'ld naturally think I was "inspired" by Songfacts, even if I said it was simply a place to document the exploits of my "encounters".

Great article - thanks Connor. Chuck Klosterman might be my favorite writer (I read his Esquire column). He compares Cee-Lo to Diane Keaton and it works.

We'll get that added info up in the next update. It's important to know they're not inspired by Sir Charles, they just like the name.