Random Lists of Random Things

PSYCHOcatholic

Most people know the meaning of the term “Stockholm Syndrome,†where a kidnap victim comes to sympathize with their captor, but few people know the that the term originates from a lengthy hostage situation that unfolded during a Swedish bank robbery in the seventies.

The Story

Jan Erik Olson was a career criminal who in 1973 attempted to rob a bank in the Norrmalmstorg region of Stockholm, Sweden. Police quickly arrived and a brief firefight ensued, after which the officers retreated and Olson claimed four hostages

I didn't know it was from 1973. First time I heard this term it was after Patty Hearst' s story... in 1974. they already called it "Stockholm Syndrome"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

American Politics: Compare and Contrast

I'm sure most of us have read the so called comparison of Lincoln and Kennedy, but did you ever consider the relationship between Obama and Lincoln...

You might be surprised.

Parallels of Abraham Lincoln and B. H. Obama:

1. Lincoln placed his hand on the Bible for his inauguration. Obama used the same Bible.

2. Lincoln came from Illinois . Obama comes from Illinois ...

3. Lincoln served in the Illinois Legislature. Obama served in the Illinois Legislature.

4. Lincoln had very little experience before becoming President... Obama had very little experience before becoming President..

5. Lincoln rode the train from Philadelphia to Washington for his inauguration. Obama rode the train from Philadelphia to Washington for his inauguration..

6. Lincoln was a skinny lawyer. Obama is a skinny lawyer.

7. Lincoln was a Republican. Obama is a skinny lawyer.

8. Lincoln was highly respected. Obama is a skinny lawyer.

9. Lincoln was born in the United States . Obama is a skinny lawyer.

10. Lincoln was honest, so honest he was called Honest Abe. Obama is a skinny lawyer

11. Lincoln saved the United States . Obama is a skinny lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The original inspiration, according to John, came from a song called ‘Please’ which was recorded by Bing Crosby in 1932. “I was also always intrigued by the words to [that] song that went, ‘Oh please, lend a little ear to my pleas. Lend a ray of cheer to my pleas, Tell me that you love me too.’â€

And that's very interesting, Martin... :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It takes 7 seconds for food to pass from mouth to stomach. A human hair can hold 3kg. The length of a penis is 3x the length of the thumb. The femur is as hard as concrete. A woman's heart beats faster then a man's. Women blink 2x as much as men. We use 300 muscles just to keep our balance when we stand. A woman will now have read this entire text. A man is still looking at his thumb.