Live Aid: 21 years later...

PaulEdwardWagemann

21 years after Live Aid, I'm still a bit cynical about it. I was getting into the Indie/Underground scene at the time; Replacements, Butthole Surfers, Camper van Beethoven, Pixies, etc. These were bands that were making great music and that's what I was interested in and listening to. These huge pop stars with their hairdos and make-up just seemed so substance-less. It made me wonder how much they really cared about the situation--or were they just involved in it becasue it was the trendy thing to do. Ofcourse I'mnot talking about the authenic artists like Neil Young or Bob Dylan. It's all those other bands whose names I cant even think of right now--maybe michael jackson and wham were among them--I cant even remember right now.

But the point is that, sure Live Aid did help bring attention and some real help to the starving kids in Africa. But jeez, any music fan who actually needed all that shotty music in order to gain awareness of the issue and be called upon to do something about it, is kind of an idiot anyway--and I wonder how quickly they forgot about the issue after they made their token 20$ donation?