Interesting read- most depressing songs

invisible_r

I wasn't going to make a separate post for this, but after typing all the songs, I felt it deserved it!

I just finished reading

"I hate myself and I wanna die- the 52 most depressing songs you've ever heard" by tom reynolds.

Interesting read, although I was not familiar with most of the songs. He basically gives a brief history of the song, including which version he is talking about, goes through the actual song and then explains why he things it's depressing.

He doesn't praise these depressing songs, in facts he tears them to bits, in a very funny way with some like "all by myself" and "without you". some however I really do like, so he did piss me off, but I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion. here is the list of songs if anyone is interested:

1. The christmas shoes-newsong

2. the shortest story- harry chaplin

3. honey- bobby goldsboro

4. total exciple of the heart- bonnie tyler

5. seasons in the sun- terry jacks

6. doa- bloodrock

7. strange fruit- billie holiday

8. hurt- nine inch nails

9. sister morphine- mariane faithful

10. people who died- the jim carroll band

11. one- metallica

12. ruby don't take your love to town-kenny rogers and the first editions

13. brick- ben folds five

14. comfortably numb- pink floyd

15. maggie's dream- don williams

16. the rose- bette middler

17. the freshmen- verve pipe

18. prayers for rain- the cure

19. women's prison- loretta lyn

20. all by myself- celine dion

21. tell laura I love her- ray peterson

22. the river - bruce sprinsteen

23. you don't bring me flowers- neil diamon and barbra streisand

24. my immortal- evanescence

25. sam stone- john prine

26. in the air tonight- phil collins

27. macarthur park- richard harris

28. round here- counting crows

29. I will always love you- whitney houston

30. the end- the doors

31. last kiss- j frank wilson and the cavaliers

32. many- barry manilow

33. don't cry out loud- melissa manchester

34. goodby to love- the carpenters

35. beth- kiss

36. at seventeen- janis ian

37. let her cry- hootie and the blowfish

38. alone again (naturally)- gilbert o'sullivan

39. it must be him- vicky carr

40. without you- mariah carey

41. send in the clows

42. in the year 2525- zager and evans

43. the wrck of edmund fitzerald- gordon lightfoot

44. sylvia's mother- dr. hook and the medicine show

45. indiana wants me- r dean taylor

46. captain jack- billy joel

47. lucky man- emerson, lake and palmer

48. landslide- smashing pumkins

49. teen angel- mark dinning

50. love will tear us apart- joy division

51. artificial flowers- bobby darin

52. same old syn- dan fogelberg

an interesting list, although I don't know a lot songs - the ones I do know are pretty depressing...

I would probably add either "Climbing to the Moon" or "Dead Of Winter" by the Eels, the most depressing songs I know... (or maybe they're just "sad" after his definition!?)

just to see what the "mood" of the book is, here's a quote, which is from the back of the book so I assume it's ok to type it out

"On Celine Dion's All by myself: Had Celine been around in 1944, the Allies could've have skipped the D-day invasion and just dropped her off at Omaha beach with a PA system so she could sing All by myself until the German infantry bayonetted themselves"

Not a single entry from Neil Young.

He has to be the King of Depressing Songs (Helpless, Out On The Weekend, The Needle And The Damage Done, Down By The River, Heart of Gold, etc. etc. ), but, then again, he usually keeps them danceable, and sings them with a smile on his face.

Kenny Rodgers Ruby, well it is a country song for the most part and all country songs have someone done me wrong, but I don't think this one is depressing.

I'm surprised, Jane. This is about a paralyzed veteran whose wife thinks he's useless now so she's going out and cheating on him. That's pretty sad, IMO.

Of all the songs that I recognized on this list, I would agree with the list 100%. There were a few that I don't know, so I can't say. Some are just tearjerker songs, others are sad because - like the book's quote: I would rather bayonet myself and die messily than have to ever hear them again.

A few corrections, notes, and observations:

"The Shortest Story" by Harry Chapin

"Mandy" by Barry Manilow (One reason I don't have any Barry Manilow on CD!)

"Send In The Clowns" by Judy Collins(?)

"The Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot (Good enough for Country?)

"Same Old Lange Syne" by Dan Fogelberg (What, "Taxi" or "Cat's In The Cradle" by Harry Chapin don't get the raspberry?)

Note: "Strange Fruit" is an anti-lynching Jazz protest song! (How's that for a rare bird?)

Observation: "Goodbye To Love" by The Carpenters summed up their love lives.

Not a single entry from Neil Young.

He has to be the King of Depressing Songs (Helpless, Out On The Weekend, The Needle And The Damage Done, Down By The River, Heart of Gold, etc. etc. ), but, then again, he usually keeps them danceable, and sings them with a smile on his face.

...and the whole "On the beach" album... which I love...

:)

Observation: "Goodbye To Love" by The Carpenters summed up their love lives.

I was watching some Carpenters´ videos on youtube and found them all so sad... Karen Carpenter had really a sad love life and she seemed like she felt so uncomfortable in her body... in fact, she died of sadness.