5. "Good Grief" – 4:01

6. "Floaty" – 4:30

7. "Weenie Beenie" – 2:45

8. "Oh, George" – 3:00

9. "For All the Cows" – 3:30

10. "X-Static" – 4:13

11. "Wattershed" – 2:15

12. "Exhausted" – 5:45

Since Dave Grohl founded the "Foo Fighters" after the album has been recorded, practically the whole thing was made entirly by himself. So one can almost credit it as a solo album...

It's a nice collection of songs from the gentle almost pop "Big Me" to real noise orgys like "Watershed" and I still don't understand what he sings in "Weenie Beenie"... ;)

and I just love the distorted guitar in "Exhausted", this and "X-Static" are my favourite songs...

and here's two youtube clips:

I'll Stick Around

Exhausted (Live)

Edited by Guest
added two videos :)

Mad Dogs And Englishmen - Joe Cocker

maddogui4.jpg

The Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour was a hastily organized appendage to a longer tour Cocker was completing in 1970. April and November of 1969 saw the releases of With A Little Help From My Friends and Joe Cocker! respectively and Cocker had spent the time since in a grueling promotional tour. As legend would have it, Cocker arrived in Los Angeles in March of 1970 for some rest and relaxation and planning time to put together a new band. His management company had other plans for him. They let him in on a seven-week tour they have arranged for him, to commence in eight days. Leon Russell, seeing his old friend between a rock and a hard place, forms a band, becomes the musical director and directs this merry group toward the road. After four 10-plus hour rehearsals with his ten-person band, Cocker and Company record the single â€The Letter/Space Captain†and hit the road, starting in Detroit.

The Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour was a hastily organized appendage to a longer tour Cocker was completing in 1970. April and November of 1969 saw the releases of With A Little Help From My Friends and Joe Cocker! respectively and Cocker had spent the time since in a grueling promotional tour. As legend would have it, Cocker arrived in Los Angeles in March of 1970 for some rest and relaxation and planning time to put together a new band. His management company had other plans for him. They let him in on a seven-week tour they have arranged for him, to commence in eight days. Leon Russell, seeing his old friend between a rock and a hard place, forms a band, becomes the musical director and directs this merry group toward the road. After four 10-plus hour rehearsals with his ten-person band, Cocker and Company record the single â€The Letter/Space Captain†and hit the road, starting in Detroit.

Cocker is at his best on the Parkinson's nod inducing “Feelin' Alright†and “The Letterâ€. These songs have an insistent drive that causes the listener to bob his/her head to the beat, often inducing whiplash. The Blues and slower tunes, such as “Let's Go Get Stonedâ€, â€Bird on a Wire†and “The Blue Medley†find Cocker at his most agonizingly sincere. “She Came In Through The Bathroom Window†rocks as does “Delta Ladyâ€. Where Cocker is the voice, Leon Russell is the vision. His piano style is so unique that like Neil Young's guitar playing or Cocker's voice; the listener could identify it a mile away. If there is a high point (and I have already said all of the songs are) it would have to be the Cocker/Russell duet on Bob Dylan's “Girl From The North Countryâ€. Cocker's mossy brogue meshes provocatively with Russell's Midwestern twang perfectly framing Dylan's love ode.

This review was taken from the top ten live albums of all-time by C. Michael Bailey

I was a freshman in High School when this album came out in 1970 and it still sounds great today.It sounds like they are having a great time performing. It is what Rock should.

The band included Leon Russell and many of the great studio musicians of the day. They included Jim Keltner, Bobby Keys, Carl Radle Don Preston and a very young Rita Coolidge.

Tracks

Disc 1

Honky Tonk Women

She Came in Thru the Bathroom Window

The Weight

Sticks and Stones

Bird on a Wire

Cry Me a River

Superstar

Feelin' Alright

Something

Darling Be Home Soon

Let It Be

Further on Up the Road

Disc 2

Let's Go Get Stoned

Space Captain

Hummingbird

Dixie Lullaby

Letter

Delta Lady

Give Peace a Chance

Blue Medley: I'll Drown in My Own Tears/When Something Is Wrong with My

With a Little Help from My Friends

Girl from the North Country

Warm-Up Jam: Under My Thumb

Edited by Guest

I totally forgot about htis

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

"Clap Your Hands Say Yeah"

g99507rouct.jpg

Released in 2005

1. Clap Your Hands!

2. Let the Cool Goddess Rust Away

3. Over and Over Again (Lost and Found)

4. Sunshine and Clouds (And Everything Proud)

5. Details of the War

6. The Skin of My Yellow Country Teeth

7. Is This Love?

8. Heavy Metal

9. Blue Turning Gray

10. In This Home of Ice

11. Gimmie Some Salt

12. Upon This Tidal Wave of Young Blood

My feelings towards Clap Your Hands Say Yeah are similar to Elliot Rosewater's feelings towards Kilgore Trout. Both are characters created by author Kurt Vonnegut, who uses them in multiple books. Kilgore Trout is a quirky science fiction writer, and Elliot Rosewater is a very eccentric and wealthy man, who happens to be Trout's biggest (and only) fan. In the book Slaughterhouse Five, Rosewater says, "God, if only Kilgore Trout could write!" Vonnegut, the narrator, explains that Kilgore Trout had terrible prose and writing ability, and that "only his ideas were good." But despite Trout's poor writing skills (in the more objective sense of the term), Rosewater still considers him "America's greatest living author," and writes him a letter suggesting he should be "President of the World."

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah is not the most instrumentally talented band in the world. The musicians never do anything very difficult on their instruments. What is most noticeably bad, though, is Alec Ounsworth's voice. One could say that his vocals are influenced by Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel, Black Francis of the Pixies, and David Byrne of the Talking Heads, but it seems unfair to alternative legends Francis and Byrne to be compared to Ounsworth. More accurately, Alec Ounsworth is influenced by crying babies, stray cats, and awkward 13 year olds just starting to go through puberty. His whiny, trembling wail of a voice is constantly cracking. Basically, if he tried out for American Idol, he'd be included with William Hung on their "Worst Of" special, and would go down in youtube.com history, being made fun of wherever he went. Strangely though, Ounsworth's voice works. It fits perfectly with the emotional and bittersweet atmosphere created by Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. In fact, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah is not only acceptable, they are outstanding. Like Rosewater loves Trout despite his very noticeable faults, I love Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.

The music is reminiscent of alternative rock of the 1980's. It's catchy, bittersweet, and affects the listener emotionally. The music is often so emotional, you can't blame Ounsworth for sounding like he's crying. There's a sort of epic simplicity to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. The music itself is pretty minimalist sounding, yet the songwriting is grandiose. Each song sounds like it could be the emotional climax of some teen movie from the 80's. Songs like "Let The Cool Goddess Rust Away" are songs that you can imagine in the background of the scene in such a movie where the main character (a troubled teenager) is sitting on top of a hill, or a car, or a tree, or something like that, and he's looking out into the stars with a look on his face that says he has just made a huge life realization. Movies like this are usually cheesey, but Clap Your Hands Say Yeah never dabbles in the cheese zone. There is something very real and honest about Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah hide nothing, and this authenticism separates them from a lot of popular music.

Since nobody has ever written a review for Clap Your Hands Say Yeah without mention of how indie they are, I might as well talk about that now. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah are the very definition of indie. They have no record label, so they did everything themselves. This includes recording and mixing, burning of CDs, labels, and distribution. When somebody would find out about them (by word of mouth or an internet blog), they would order their CD on their website, and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah would mail them the CD. In an age before the internet, a band like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah would have had no success. With their uncool image and Alec Ounsworth's terrible voice, there is no way they would have ever gotten a record contract (after selling thousands of albums, record execs approached them, only to be denied for the sake of artistic freedom). And without a record contract, there would be no record sales. However, with illegal downloading, myspace, and blogs (which raise word of mouth to a whole new international level), Clap Your Hands Say Yeah was able to have extraordinary success, selling over 40,000 CDs (which doesn't even include the thousands of people who heard the CD through downloading). Clap Your Hands Say Yeah give an inspirational message to all unsigned bands, and to humanity in general: you don't have to sell out to be succesful or happy. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah show that you can do whatever you want with music, and as long as it's good, you will have an audience. If everything continues the way it's going, soon we won't need the record companies at all because the "music industry" will consist of musicians and fans, and everyone will have artistic freedom, and everyone will be happy (or sad, or sleepy, or horny, or whatever they want to be), and indie rock will bring about world peace, and the entire world will join hands and sing Kumbayah, followed by a rousing rendition of "In This Home of Ice" whilst prasing Clap Your Hands Say Yeah as indie's Moses. OK, maybe that's a little unrealistic, but the point is that Clap Your Hands Say Yeah show why we are currently in the golden age for rock music. They are part of the movement that is bringing music back to it's roots...not because of a rootsy sound, but because they are helping create a music industry where the only people who matter are those who make music and those who listen to it.

I'll nominate a best-of:

pack_sml.jpg

Attention, long tracklist.

Disc: 1

1. Consider Yourself - Steve Marriott

2. Give Her My Regards - Steve Marriott

3. Money Money

4. Whatcha Gonna Do About It [French EP Version] - The Small Faces

5. I've Got Mine - The Small Faces

6. Hey Girl - The Small Faces

7. You Need Loving - The Small Faces

8. All or Nothing - The Small Faces

9. Understanding - The Small Faces

10. I Can't Dance with You - The Small Faces

11. I Can't Make It - The Small Faces

12. Her Come the Nice - The Small Faces

13. Get Yourself Together - The Small Faces

14. Green Circles [italian Version] - The Small Faces

15. Don't Burst My Bubble - The Small Faces

16. Tin Soldier - The Small Faces

17. Lazy Sunday - The Small Faces

18. Rollin' Over - The Small Faces

19. Afterglow (Of Your Love) - The Small Faces

20. Universal - The Small Faces

21. Donkey Rides, A Penny, A Glass - The Small Faces

22. Me, You & Us Pdemo of Wham Bam Thank You Mam] - The Small Faces

23. Autumn Stone - The Small Faces

24. Every Little Bit Hurts [bBC Session] - The Small Faces

Disc: 2

1. Natural Born Bugie - Humble Pie

2. Buttermilk Boy - Humble Pie

3. Alabama 69 - Humble Pie

4. Down Home Again - Humble Pie

5. Every Mother's Son - Humble Pie

6. Drown in My Own Tears - Humble Pie

7. Big Black Dog [single] - Humble Pie

8. Live with Me - Humble Pie

9. Theme from Skint - Humble Pie

10. Song for Jenny - Humble Pie

11. I Don't Need No Doctor [single Edit] - Humble Pie

12. You're So Good for Me - Humble Pie

13. 30 Days in the Hole - Humble Pie

14. Get Down to It - Humble Pie

15. Say No More - Humble Pie

16. Groovin' with Jesus - Humble Pie

17. Funky to the Bone - Humble Pie

18. Fool for a Pretty Face - Humble Pie

19. Teenage Anxiety - Humble Pie

Disc: 3

1. Midnight of My Life [Live] - Steve Marriott

2. Early Evening Light - Steve Marriott

3. Lookin' for a Love - Steve Marriott

4. Lend Us a Quid - Steve Marriott

5. Soldie - Steve Marriott

6. Cocaine - Steve Marriott

7. High and Happy - The Small Faces

8. Brown Man Do - The Small Faces

9. Daddy Rolling Stone - Johnny Thunders

10. Lonely No More

11. Cockney Rhyme [Live]

12. Big Train Stop at Memphis [Live]

13. My Girl [Live]

14. Watch Your Step [Live]

15. If You Find What You're Looking For - Steve Marriott

16. Phone Call Away - Steve Marriott

17. Knocking on Your Door - Steve Marriott

18. Poll Tax Blues

19. I Won't Let You Down

20. Bigger They Come, Harder They Fall - Steve Marriott

21. Stay with Me Baby - Steve Marriott

I bought the anthology about a month after it came out when I accidentally stumbled across it in a Virgin Megastore. I hadn't heard of it before, so I was very happy when I saw it because even though I know almost all of the Small Faces' songs, I knew only part of Humble Pie's catalogue and almost nothing of Steve Marriott's solo work.

First, there's some songs recorded before Marriott joined the Small Faces. They're not easy to come across, but worth listening to.

The Small Faces songs on the anthology are mostly obvious choices, though with some rarities like Understanding and You Need Lovin'. In any case, they're all 60s pop music at its best.

The Humble Pie tracks showcase Marriott's songwriting and above all singing talent once more. Some are r'n'b, some solid rock, and again mostly well-known but with some rare gems. After listening to it, I wondered once more why Humble Pie are mostly forgotten...they do take some time to get used to, especially for Small Faces fans, but they're certainly worth their money.

Next, Steve Marriott's solo stuff. Quite different again, well-selected in my opinion and from all the different bands that Marriott joined after Humble Pie. I did expect more from the Majik Mijits (Steve Marriott and Ronnie Lane reunited!), but that was honestly almost the only time I came close to being disappointed while listening to the album.

Yeah, well, what else can I say...Excellent anthology.

• 3 weeks later...

Röyksopp's Night Out

royksoppvn0.jpg

This just arrived in the post today - I've been waiting for it for 2 whole weeks because it came all the way from Japan! It's a must for any Röyksopp fan, because they are even better live! I mean it! Great tracks, well orchestrated and very cool to listen to :headphones:

The vocals are great, the exciting atmosphere is very evident and you almost forget it is live until you can hear the crowd applauding and the guys talking between songs :)

I am listening to it right now, and it was definitely worth the wait! My favourite has to be "Remind Me" live - so good! I'm bobbing my head and tapping my feet as I type :)

Some samples can be found here

Animals was on List 6, but I don't think Wish You Were Here has ever been on a list. Feel free to start list 28 with it if you'd like, PF. I'm gonna go ahead and close this one with the first five.

And apologies for taking a little longer than normal. It's been a crazy month traveling so much for my dad. :(

Foo Fighters ~ Foo Fighters

Mad Dogs & Englishmen ~ Joe Cocker

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

Tin Soldier (Anthology) ~ Steve Marriott

Night Out ~ Röyksopp's