Forty Years In Music

c_s_1987

I have just been thinking about how many 60s music stars are still performing and recording music, and what an achievement it is to be popular for so long. I would like it if anyone could help me compile a list of any living music stars who have been recording or performing for more than forty years (Their first album/single they were involved in must have been released more than forty years ago). If they are still members of a band that formed more than forty years ago, please indicate this as I have shown below.

Paul McCartney

Ringo Starr

The Rolling Stones (Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts)

Bob Dylan

The Who (Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend)

Deep Purple are two years short of the mark. Pink Floyd, while they have been together for about 42 years, their first single was released in March 1967.

I'm still unsure whether or not Jimmy Page or John Paul Jones can qualify. Robert Plant won't be able to qualify until 2009.

The Kinks formed in 1963... Ray Davies is still kicking.

The Kinks formed in 1963... Ray Davies is still Kinking.

Bob Dylan

CSN&Y

Peter, Paul and Mary

Tom Jones

Englebert Humperdink

The Four Tops

Diana Ross

Smokey Robinson

The Shirelles

Bobby Rydell

The Skyliners

Willie Winfield and The Harptones

The Duprees

Judy Collins

The Hollies

The Beach Boys

Connie Francis

The Marcels

Cher

Donovan

Etta James

Jerry Butler

Frankie Valli

Neil Sedaka

Segio Mendes

Gene Chandler

Edited by Guest

The Blind Boys of Alabama are a gospel music group from Alabama that first formed at the Alabama Institute for the Negro Blind in 1939. As of 2006, they are still performing, including a number of the original members.

That's very impressive. I never expected any musicians from the 30s would still be around.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmmm....I am not sure if this counts, but isn't Tony Bennet the all time leader in albums. I think at last count (with his new album coming out if it didn't already) he has 108 albums put out and I am sure he has been doing it over 60 years. Now that is real longevity!

I do know he is still performing and will in NY this fall doing some shows.

In 1966, Tom Petty founded a band called Mudcrutch in Pensacola,FL; whom he toured with for nearly 10 years on Gone Gator records. He's been with the Heartbreakers since 1976 & The Traveling Wilburys in 1988. This looks like his final year, as he's retiring in one month. That would be exactly 40 years all together.

Here's a person you probably didn't know had been in music for forty years:

He was the drummer/vocalist for a band called The Strangers in 1964. The band changed their name to Chain Reaction in 1966, and released their first single that year. He switched bands a few more times for the rest of the sixties, until he and two friends formed a band in 1970. They soon added a guitarist and a drummer to the lineup, and that band is currently touring, and will probably release their new album next year.

Who am I? Steven Tallarico, aka Steve Tyler from Aerosmith.