As long as we are talking about things other than music...

MarcM

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It´s not your politic point of view but your aggressive attitude. Other posters think like you but talk about it in a calm way.

And anyways, why am I discussing this??? :stars:

Are you saying those posters who share my opinion are also anti-Semitic? How do you think the initial article of this topic reads to those who disagree with it? It certainly did not come off as fair and balanced. I suppose it was written by an anti-Semite as well (Arabs, of course, being Semitic people).

Bitter Almonds, could it be that we will not come to a consensus here. I mean at this rate we're gonna be arguing here till Kingdom come and never get any further.

I mean we're a music forum here, we're all just amateurs in the political sense and all of our oppinions are either biased and/or speculations and educated guesses.

So, I'm gonna stop here, before I ride myself further in it...

Gisela, even though you and I come from opposite sides of the wire as such

funny, i never think of us as on opposite sides of the wire!

as a general comment, i think it is most important for people to be calm, clear-headed, fair and balanced in the way they approach these sensitive issues. but that concept is somewhat utopian as, if we all were, these tenuous political situations would be far less common. however, i find it frustrating that so many people have a kneejerk reaction to criticism of israel, immediately labelling it anti-semitic. although israel is 'the jewish state', government policies are politically-based and can be criticised with regard to their validity in international law without it being a question of religious intolerance. not all israelis are jews and certainly not all jews are israelis. it is not necessarily anti-semitic to criticise israel any more than it is anti-catholic to criticise ireland or anti-islamic to criticise iran.

Weeks ago, Hezbollah kidnapped two Israeli soldiers. Their aim was to see if they could broker a deal with Israel and trade their kidnapped people. Israel thought they could just do as they please and decided to bomb southern Lebanon to bits in search of these two soldiers. No matter how aggressive their efforts were and how much they were decimating the infrastructure of Lebanon, they weren't getting anywhere near the two kidnapped soldiers. World opinion was that Israel grossly overreacted to this situation. US opinion was deafening silence.

Perhaps if Hezbollah had not fired all of those rockets into Israel from civilian saturated areas, there would not have been so many civilian casualties. Hezbollah does not care about the Lebanese, unless they can be used for a good photo op, which a few times have been proven to be staged for propaganda purposes.

I too, plan to withdraw from any further comments on this thread because I prefer to come here to take my mind off of heavy topics.

You come on very strong, Bitter Almonds (the scent of CIANIDE), especially for someone who we know nothing about. I hope you continue join us in the music threads, too.

Perhaps if Hezbollah had not fired all of those rockets into Israel from civilian saturated areas, there would not have been so many civilian casualties. Hezbollah does not care about the Lebanese, unless they can be used for a good photo op, which a few times have been proven to be staged for propaganda purposes.

I too, plan to withdraw from any further comments on this thread because I prefer to come here to take my mind off of heavy topics.

You come on very strong, Bitter Almonds (the scent of CIANIDE), especially for someone who we know nothing about. I hope you continue join us in the music threads, too.

As stated above, we could discuss this for days on end. We'd dig up old issues of Foreign Policy to look for articles on these events and it could go on and on. What I'm trying to get at is a couple of things: 1. I'm from the US and I believe the US should have a neutral stance in this matter and 2. Israel is not immune from being an oppressor and a terrorist state themselves, as evidenced by the latest actions (although there are plenty more that I could dig up to counter any claims that it's only Hezbollah doing all the bad deeds). Remember this, Hezbollah wouldn't exist if Israel had no invaded Lebanon. Hezbollah would not have attacked the US military base in Lebanon had we been neutral in that matter (were we even invited by the Lebanese govt.? Not that I recall). Hezbollah (as well as Hamas) have never declared open war on the US, nor have they ever been caught actively trying to undermine this nation by spying or having terrorist cells within this country (Israel has been caught twice spying in top office and one of those traitors is serving a life sentence for it). If we keep being allies with Israel, Hezbollah could change its mind about us easily. It's not about who is right or wrong because there are no longer good guys and bad guys in that situation. However, I do care what happens to us. We're already dealing with al-Qaeda and I'd hate to see the day when we have to deal with Hezbollah and Hamas because of this.