Relationship Deal Breakers: Music

skybluesky

Rap would be my deal breaker. And head-banging heavy metal would be a very close second (example would be Metallica, Megadeth, Slipknot, et al). That sort of music gives me a headache, and although I can respect someone listening to it themselves, I can't deal with it on, say, a car trip - even a short one.

I wouldnt expect any girls in my town to even know who any of the artists I'm listening to a lot lately are. But as long as they have an open mind towards music, then it's alright with me. No heavy metal though, and if they like rap at least don't make it any chart topping rap songs. Good lord those are horrible.

Well, I like some rap, so I'm used to people hating stuff I like. :P A girl I know always tells me I have bad music taste and stuff when she hasn't heard any of it really, 'cause she seems to think I'm some sort of pop/punk junkie and she's into like Led Zeppelin-era music with heavy guitar focus. :laughing:

I figure if she doesn't like my music, she'll get used to it 'cause I'm gonna cram it down her throat!

My husband likes a lot of harder stuff than I do, and he hates a lot of the pop stuff I listen to, and he doesn't listen to rap, but when we're together, we listen to Classic Rock. That seems to be neutral ground.

I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to music, but yeah, if he was way into hardcore rap or country or heavy metal, it would be hard to get along. We'd probably never go to concerts together.

I like so many different types of music, but if my guy was into rap/hip-hop he or the music would have to go. I can do heavy metal, country, top 40, classical, and so on but never ever rap! Good thing he agrees! :grin:

He does have to listen to his John Prine when I am not around, I just cringe and can't take him!

Heck, I obviously listen to all the wrong stuff to maintain a relationship: headbanging metal / punk (System Of A Down, Motorhead, Manson...yep, even Slipknot) a bit of hip-hop, not to mention obscure avant-garde cheaply-produced indie music that no-one can relate to, and hardly any of the "classic" bands....

Looks like I'm out on the pavement... :(

I guess I'm lucky that in Mrs Fitter's book, being a tiger between the sheets more than compensates for dodgy musical taste.

I can listen to almost any kind of music, but I could never be involved with anyone who likes rap and/or hip-hop.

Fortunately, my wife and I have similar musical tastes. And she is very tolerant. When I listen to Johnny Winter, AC/DC, The Scorpions or Blue Oyster Cult, she leaves the room. And I'm reasonably understanding as well. When she listens to Kenny G or Keith Jarratt, I put on my I Pod and go work in the garden. :angel:

it seems like no-one here would date me cos i like rap, hip-hop, chart music, a bit of country and heavy metal! as well as many other types of music, i hasten to add!

personally, i couldn't go out with anyone who didn't as least like, if not love, jeff.

Edited by Guest

my boyfriend likes loads of horrible electronica, but I don't mind, as long as he doesn't force me to listen to it. We have common ground, and we tend to listen to that when together.

I think the only problem would be if he liked boybands, britney and the like, because I wouldn't take him seriously!