Is Music in Television dead?

Farin

Just today I read a very interesting article about it

I don't know if you heard it, but last sunday was the last show of "Top Of The Pops" in English Television after 42 years.

All the Music Channels, like MTV, play less and less music, but are more a gossip and celebrity channel (what has "Pimp my Ride" or "Date My Mom" to do with music).

"Internet killed the Video Star"

The new media is the Internet. The new clips are available at youtube or yahoo and new artist, like Gnarls Barkley or Sandi Thom are even made famous through the net.

On the contrary, I think. There have been a lot of bands "broken" through television recently. Strike me down for mentioning this show, but "The OC" introduced Death Cab For Cutie to a ton of people, and they put out a few popular soundtracks, mostly spotlighting indie/alternative bands. The Rolling Stones played on some soap opera, and having a song on American Idol is the surest way to get a hit.

Plus, on a personal note, shows like "Lost", "Scrubs" and "Without A Trace" have helped me discover some really great songs. Not to mention "The Sopranos".

I think music on TV is still very much alive, but in different ways. It's no longer just promotion, but more like integration.

I must say I haven't "gotten" the MTV that my son watches anymore. Too much TV and not enough M. VH1 is following close behind, although at least a lot of their extracurricular stuff has something to do with music. CMT is the last holdout. They play more videos, but they've got the ring through their nose, also.

I love to watch TV when there´s something about music (documentaries, movies, clips... oldies!) Though it´s not often in Spain...

Live music TV shows are great but quite complicated and expensive, it´s easier to make a show just with promo videos or lyp-synched performances, no sound checks, no rehearsals, no nothing...

In any case I guess internet is killing the video star indeed.

"Cold Case" is another show that integrates music into it. It's actually a huge part of all the "flashback" scenes. I haven't watched it in ages, though.

Smallville used to list what songs they played during the episode along with showing CD covers...almost like little commercials at the end of the credits.

So yes, even though music variety shows and video channels may be dying, the internet and TV shows are keeping promotion and distribution alive.

MTV really isn't MusicTeleVision anymore. There are some shows concerning music, but not a whole lot.

The main outlet for music in TV now is definetly shows like the OC, Cold Case(Really good soundtracks) etc.

BUT as much crap is on MTV I can't see how people dont like Pimp My Ride and Cribs. I can't get enough of them. It's modern entertainment with real people. Everyone likes cars, and watching people without much in their lives get their dream cars is awesome. Also, there is a lot of comedy in it.

People are judging these shows before they see them. If you just sit down without any pre-conceptions I think ther is a lot of entertainment there. Not a drama that will get you emotional or anything, but a good break at 2:30 from my guitar playing for some peanut butter, Five Alive and X to the Z XZIBIT.

VH1 and MTV are both horrible, but I have to say I prefer MTV. I just can't look away from VH1's lists, and after watching one, I can't help but feel a little stupider. MTV, on the other hand, has Pimp My Ride, the single greatest acheivement in the history of mankind.

We don't get VH1 Classic in Australia either :(

We do, however, get regular VH1, and it's okay. It has a classic hour every now and then. I'd also like to jump on the Cold Case bandwagon, that show has some fantastic music on it. But tv isn't a medium I go to when checking out new music. My sources are the local classic rock radio station, older family members, the internet and Songfacts (internet really did kill the video star). Even if MTV did play I song, it wouldn't be one I'd like.