What are your views on gun ownership?

MotoRacerX36

C'mon people now,

Smile on your brother

Ev'rybody get together

Try and love one another right now

Admirable sentiments, I'm sure. But how to make the dream a reality in a society where "might is right"? Where there is abuse of power, there will always be resentment. Hippy platitudes are all very well, but they encourage unquestioning, passive acceptance of social injustice rather than positive, constructive action to empower the powerless.

Recognising that power (rather than money per se) is the most respected currency in modern society, it is perhaps unsurprising that those who have historically suffered (poverty, disenfranchisement, discrimination, physical mistreatment, etc) in an unjust society, seek to empower themselves, (at least in an illusory manner), by acquiring guns and threatening to avenge their oppression.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recognising that power (rather than money per se) is the most respected currency in modern society, it is perhaps unsurprising that those who have historically suffered (poverty, disenfranchisement, discrimination, physical mistreatment, etc) in an unjust society, seek to empower themselves, (at least in an illusory manner), by acquiring guns and threatening to avenge their oppression.

So, what you're saying is...those of us us who own guns...were poor, discriminated against, beat up, and/or deprived...and on top of all that, feel oppressed? Unless I'm interpreting this wrong, I beg to differ. I own guns because I like guns. I own guns to hunt with. I own guns, because, well, like MarcM said, I can. I happen to condone carry laws. It sends a message to the criminals that carry weapons illegally, that the average, law abiding citizen, can finally level the playing field.

^ what's that supposed to mean? ten years ago if someone died of a gunshot wound in the republic of ireland it was frontpage news for weeks. it has become more common that criminals carry guns in recent years but it is nowhere near as prevalent as in the united states.