What are your views on gun ownership?

MotoRacerX36

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of those issues that we could hash and rehash until we are blue in the face. I would like to say how proud of everyone I am that we have had a rational conversation about it with no bickering or name calling or stomping of feet. This is why I love you people here at Songfacts.

Let's hug and go back to the debate. ((((SFers))))

An awful lot of those accidents and shootings happen because people don't have the knowledge and respect for guns that they should.

This is exactly why I dislike guns being as easily available to the general public . No disrespect to the US populace at large , but we all can think of a number of people which it would make us shudder to think that they not only have the right to , but can, get a gun - and may have one - not to mention so many others, as well . Why ? As life is hard and alcohol and drug use/abuse or even severe depression is large in the US ( not to exclude other places - though with less liberal gun laws ) , as well , the dice are getting more loaded against safety .

I'm not speaking so much about the criminal element , but ordinary people , who , in a time of crisis ( and we all have them ) may see their gun as a solution before other means . I would prefer to live in a state where I , the unsuspecting bystander ( not innocent necessarily ), do not expect that a run-in with such a person will include gunplay .

For those who appreciate weapons ( and I myself can admire the beauty and engineering in a gun ) , I would offer up the old samurai thought that guns are dishonorable - simple , cowardly and impersonal , unfairly lethal , and generally , beyond the normal means of it's wielder .

Honestly , I think you have a cancer with this , and only a draconian measure can put a restraint on it . The law abiding persons would turn them in , leaving only scoff-laws and the criminal element for law enforcement to deal with ( much easier I would expect ) . True , that 11 ,000 + is just a number , but - wow , it should be a disgrace and unlikely well defended as culture and history in a sensible debate on the defence of guns in a peaceful , modern society . I have to listen to the ' culture and history ' arguement ( eyes rolling ) , too , anytime the Japanese want to justify something that no longer makes sense but they can't find a logical or sensible way to do so . The US lost 3,000 + on 9/11 and went to war over it ... decisive action if there ever was one - some even argue , draconian ! I point this out only to state that when the will is there , you can do just about anything . Unfortunately , what I often hear on this issue , strikes me more as defeatism or fatalistic views . I don't want to buy that ' we ... are just kind of violent , I guess . ' Having visited many times , enjoyed , and admired the US for many years , ( without incident ) that won't do - you're better than that !

Really , how often are ' situations ' happily resolved by an armed 'good guy ' stepping in to thwart a robbery or dangerous situation - or even defend themselves ? Few enough that I would expect it wouldn't justify arming the populace at large . If someone has picked you out for shooting , you are likely going to be hit first , and in your surprise , or utter shock , be at the mercy of the shooter or fate , anyway . At least consider having arms for merely hunting , sport or collecting with stricter controls as a step back from having to worry about being shot to the degree you have to . I think your brethren in the rest of the world are right on this - no shame in it .

Edited by Guest

Somewhere in this thread someone stated that if a gun wasn't available to a person who wanted to commit a violent act, that person would find an alternate way to commit the act.

In Phoenix last week two men were arrested for a crime spree that spanned a year, where people were being shot randomly while walking down the street, animals were being shot for just existing, several people and animals were killed, many more survived.

I submit that had these idiots who had the guns not had access to them, these crimes might never have happened, since their MO was to shoot the victim while driving past. No other weapon would have been so easy to use.

We have another serial killer/rapist on the loose who's been at it since May 2005. Again, a gun is being used in these crimes.

In these cases (as all across the U.S.) the victims are unarmed. However, had they been armed with even the same weapon as their attacker, it would have not mattered, as the survivors all say they never saw it coming.

How about anything that makes it easy to kill people should be destroyed? that would include bombs and missiles too.

Just out of curiousity, not saying I agree or disagree with you, but what would you destroy these things with if you're destroying things that are used to destroy? It's quite the paradox. :P

Two feets they come a creepin

Like a black cat do

And two bodies are lyin naked

Creeper think he got nothin to lose

So he creeps into this house, yeah

And unlocks the door

And while a man reaching for his trousers

Shoots him full of .38 holes

(chorus)

Its a saturday night special

Got a barrel thats blue and cold

Aint no good for nothin

But put a man six feet in a hole

Big jims been drinkin whiskey

And playing poker on a losin night

Pretty soon, big jim starts a thinkin

Somebody been cheatin and lyin

So big jim commences to fightin

I wouldnt tell you no lie

And big jim done grab his pistol

Shot his friend right between the eyes

(chorus)

Hand guns are made for killin

Aint no good for nothin else

And if you like your whiskey

You might even shoot yourself

So why dont we dump em people

To the bottom of the sea

Before some fool come around here

Wanna shoot either you or me

Love is but the song we sing,

And fear's the way we die

You can make the mountains ring

Or make the angels cry

Know the dove is on the wing

And you need not know why

C'mon people now,

Smile on your brother

Ev'rybody get together

Try and love one another right now

Some will come and some will go

We shall surely pass

When the one that left us here

Returns for us at last

We are but a moments sunlight

Fading in the grass

C'mon people now,

Smile on your brother

Ev'rybody get together

If you hear the song I sing,

You must understand

You hold the key to love and fear

All in your trembling hand

Just one key unlocks them both

It's there at your command

C'mon people now,

Smile on your brother

Ev'rybody get together

Right now

Right now!

Love is but the song we sing,

And fear's the way we die

You can make the mountains ring

Or make the angels cry

Know the dove is on the wing

And you need not know why

C'mon people now,

Smile on your brother

Ev'rybody get together

Some will come and some will go

We shall surely pass

When the one that left us here

Returns for us at last

We are but a moments sunlight

Fading in the grass

C'mon people now,

Smile on your brother

Ev'rybody get together

If you hear the song I sing,

You must understand

You hold the key to love and fear

All in your trembling hand

Just one key unlocks them both

It's there at your command

C'mon people now,

Smile on your brother

Ev'rybody get together

Right now

Right now!

This has got to be the worlds GREATEST SONG!!

How about we destroy crime and human immorality first?

the world will be a vast, empty canvas.

I feel the need to follow up the above posted songs with a Roger song. You don't have to have heard it to appreciate it - just read the words... powerful stuff...

God Gave Me a Gun

Military issue

now I can trust you're never gonna

raise another fist at me again

this is how I'll kiss you

hollow-tip to tissue

stronger than the sword and

so much faster than the pen

Fare thee well to the infidel

your God's name's not spelled the same

God gave me a gun

God gave me a gun

might makes right now

whom shall we smite now

bullet through the barrel

thy will be done

God gave me a gun

Screaming of the engines

bringing down the vengeance

hell from the heavens is state of the art

tell the ones you love

that the hawk's killed the dove

and I can save your soul

with a bullet through the heart

God gave me a gun

God gave me a gun

might makes right now

whom shall we smite now

thy will be done

God gave me a gun

God gave me a gun

Made me in his image

bade me do some damage

now the grapes of wrath

are ripe on the vine

kill to make us holy

kill to make us free

take an eye for an eye

and make the whole world blind

God gave me a gun

God gave me a gun

might makes right now

whom shall we smite now

thy will be done

God gave me a gun

God gave me a gun

might makes right now

whom shall we smite now

thy will be done

God gave me a gun

in ireland we don't have police. we have gardaí síochána, which means defenders of the peace, and they are unarmed. gun crime has become a bit more of a problem in recent times but on the whole i believe the fact that the gardaí are unarmed has kept the criminal aspect largely unarmed. i don't like guns. i don't see the need for them, certainly in my society. i think that gun violence is naturally increased along with gun ownership. i believe that the whole 'right to bear arms' thing is a load of rubbish. the only time a legal gunowner, who keeps his gun at home, will be able to use the gun to defend himself is if someone breaks into their home. in ireland we recently had a case of an elderly man living alone on a farm who had been terrorised by a local traveller and shot the man as he tried to break into his home. he is now serving six years in jail because he shot the man in the back as he was trying to retreat. that man was not a murderer. he was terrified out of his wits and he shot the man to protect himself, then shot him again, presumably because some kind of adrenaline took over. i can't say what i would have done in the same situation but i know i wouldn't have had a gun to begin with. neither did the intruder.

Exactly soulgirl - the right to bear arms - but then the horrible grey area when they have to be used in one's defence . Japan is still shaken somewhat over a 15 year old exchange student , shot dead while out trick -or-treating ( for the first time ) at an unfriendly/ drunken neighbour's house in Louisianna . Of course , the shooter is scott-free as it was considered trespassing . Apparently , the kid didn't understand the English expression ' freeze !' and tried to run ...

I was reminded again over the weekend how different the physio-social layout is in the USA. In nearly every other location on earth, large walls, borders, partitions (many watched over by domesticated burglar alarms) or other assorted boundaries enclose the home of the occupant. My wife is astonished by the fact that almost anyone in the U.S. can fly/drive/walk up to - and touch - the front door or front window of nearly anyone else's house.

Asking Americans to disarm is akin to asking, somewhere else in the world, a homeowner to remove their wall.